Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 126 Jupiter Red Cargo
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just picked up my first Metris; a 2016 126wb cargo in red with alloy wheels, painted bumpers, and just 28,000 miles. It’s a salvage title, but was well repaired. I already performed an overdue service B and reset the service counter.

The paint is a bit faded, so I’ll attempt to bring that back soon.

Tire Wheel Automotive side-view mirror Car Vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Tire Car Vehicle

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The van was hit in the left rear. By searching the vin I was able to get the photos from the salvage auction. The hit was above the load floor and the frame.

I am an experienced auto mechanic myself. I put it up on a lift and gave it a thorough going over. There was no damage to the frame, and the repairs to the body corner were relatively well done. They put new doors and bumper on it. After the repairs to the quarter were completed they painted the side up to the drivers door, hence the fade vs no fade. It’s not two halves pieced together. I suspect a little love (clay bar, compound, polish) shown to the paint up front will bring it in line with the paint in the rear.
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Van Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unbelievable that they gave a salvage title for this damage. It’s really not that serious. I hope it will serve you well for long time.
I’m not too surprised. Body shops often milk insurance work for all they can and “find” additional items that keep ratcheting up the costs. So insurers find it cheaper to write off and move on. Also, this was a few years ago, before the big run up in used car prices.

I didn’t buy it from auction. I found it on the local Facebook marketplace.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After a quick registration in Vermont where there’s no title requirement anything can be cleared and road legal. 😉
On Autotrader you can find a lot of vehicles with salvaged or re-built title. State inspections are just money makers. They’re not like the TÜV in Germany.
Vermont title is not necessary. Most any vehicle that has been written off can be legally put back into service. It requires it be repaired, pass state patrol inspection (at Least that is the inspecting body in WA state) and then can be issued a new title. That new title will be “branded” showing the vehicle was “rebuilt” or “salvaged”. Different states use different terms. If rebuilt well, the car should be just as good as when it left the factory. Not all are. I wouldn’t want a flooded or fire damaged car, as that brings up too many long term electrical/electronic issues in modern cars. A straight forward collision repair that didn’t impact the frame is purely cosmetic and does not scare me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree that just because a written off car gets a new title, it does not mean there are no concerns. For me a salvage title is always a reason to be concerned. But it can also be an opportunity to pick up a vehicle for less money. You have to know what you’re doing though.

If I was not able to find the salvage auction photos of this Metris to see what the actual damage was originally, I would not have bought it. As the pics showed there was no front end damage at all and the rear damage appeared to miss the frame/structure, I was willing to look closer. I then test drove the van and it tracks/handles/brakes straight and true and like a new vehicle and the rear doors open/close/line up/seal as they should. Even with that knowledge, if the seller had said I could not inspect it on a lift, I would have walked away. Inspections showed it mechanically and structurally in very good condition. So I bought it for what I felt was a good deal in this market.

Every branded title vehicle is a unique proposition and needs to be approached as such.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not going to argue with you guys. I've done hundreds of salvage titles and part of our business is recon.
Pounce,

I do not have experience retitling a salvage vehicle. I have not been through the inspection, and do not know what it entails. So I am not saying you are wrong. What I have seen are salvage vehicles like mine that I have confidence in. Unfortunately I’ve also seen more than one with pretty sketchy/shady repairs that I have no idea how they would pass an inspection. So I don’t assume the retitling inspections will catch all issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts