Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 7 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,
I just picked up my first Metris; a 2016 126wb cargo in red with alloy wheels, painted bumpers, and just 28,000 miles. It’s a salvage title, but was well repaired. I already performed an overdue service B and reset the service counter.

The paint is a bit faded, so I’ll attempt to bring that back soon.

View attachment 21500
View attachment 21501
View attachment 21499
Did you have a chance to get it inspected by a mechanic and identify the repairs? If they cut a new half on the van you might have a lot of issues with it. Why did they issue the salvaged title? Hopefully not because of water damage. On the first photo the driver door and fender seems faded compared to the back of the van.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The van was hit in the left rear. By searching the vin I was able to get the photos from the salvage auction. The hit was above the load floor and the frame.

I am an experienced auto mechanic myself. I put it up on a lift and gave it a thorough going over. There was no damage to the frame, and the repairs to the body corner were relatively well done. They put new doors and bumper on it.
View attachment 21503
View attachment 21504
Unbelievable that they gave a salvage title for this damage. It’s really not that serious. I hope it will serve you well for long time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome to MetrisForum.

Was it inspected and retitled after repair?
Because I thought, a vehicle with salvage title was not road legal.
After a quick registration in Vermont where there’s no title requirement anything can be cleared and road legal.
On Autotrader you can find a lot of vehicles with salvaged or re-built title. State inspections are just money makers. They’re not like the TÜV in Germany.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is far from the truth. State inspections to get a title are real.
Maybe at your state. I don’t know if you have first hand experience but in FL or NY almost anything can be pushed through.
I’ve seen many vehicles with re-built title and they were literally cut in half. You could tell where they welded the front half and the back together. No aftermarket repair has the same strength as the factory spot welding. Often times the frame was not replaced just pulled back to straight. Obviously won’t have the same structural strength in case of another accident. And they all passed inspection.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My comment above is simply saying that this quote from noodles isn't factual.

They are more than rubber stamp money makers and are there to protect the safety of all of us. It's not a guarantee of the work, but they do reject vehicles.
Pounce, this is a huge country and we all live in different areas. If at your location the inspection is thorough and honest that’s excellent. What I see is different. The only time the do reject vehicles when they don’t get the cash in the pocket. Would be nice to have an organized inspection chain for every vehicle like in Germany. If you have rust on your frame, fail. Your big wheels are not approved and shown in registration, fail. Aftermarket headlights, fail.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When rebuilding is possible, by all means, rebuild and have the benefit of a good vehicle. I'm for it.

But to state that several states do not even inspect salvage vehicles - only have to drop some cash in somebody's pocket ?? - and they re-issue an ordinary title as if the vehicle was new or used. I can't believe my ears.
They issue a re-built title not ordinary. But the standard isn’t high especially when you have someone at the station. I’m sure you have seen repair with factory technology and repair by Billy Bob Body Shop behind his mother’s garage. If you know the right people you can get a rebuilt title for Billy Bob’s car as well.

1 - 7 of 8 Posts