Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
375 Posts
I hope people will just agree to disagree, if they find themselves on either opposite of the discussion.

That said ...
We know what is legally allowed in EU & NA.
We know NA is behind in terms of approving advanced premium light setups that we see in EU.
We also know what a proper technical, tested and regulatory approved light setup is.
And blinding, dazzling & glare are a commonplace issue in NA because of the lack of adjusting headlights and the proliferation of vehicle customization.

So, be kind to other people's eyes and view on the matter.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I hope people will just agree to disagree, if they find themselves on either opposite of the discussion.

That said ...
We know what is legally allowed in EU & NA.
We know NA is behind in terms of approving advanced premium light setups that we see in EU.
We also know what a proper technical, tested and regulatory approved light setup is.
And blinding, dazzling & glare are a commonplace issue in NA because of the lack of adjusting headlights and the proliferation of vehicle customization.

So, be kind to other people's eyes and view on the matter.
There is no we involved here. The matter is simple. Putting LEDs in a housing designed for halogen is ILLEGAL in every country that is civilized. I really have no problem with the illegal part, but the simple matter is the LEDs do not work, and those that think they do need to do better research. If somebody wants to put European Led headlight housings in their vehicle, and break the law here in the US I have no issues with that. That does nothing to affect other drivers. Other people putting LEDs in their housings designed for halogens are selfish and do not seem to care about other drivers on the road.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
375 Posts
There is no we involved here. The matter is simple. Putting LEDs in a housing designed for halogen is ILLEGAL in every country that is civilized. I really have no problem with the illegal part, but the simple matter is the LEDs do not work, and those that think they do need to do better research. If somebody wants to put European Led headlight housings in their vehicle, and break the law here in the US I have no issues with that. That does nothing to affect other drivers. Other people putting LEDs in their housings designed for halogens are selfish and do not seem to care about other drivers on the road.
Just to be clear: you and I are actually on the same side of this issue, regarding LED bulbs and proper light setups.

If people want to properly upgrade and equip their vehicle with OEM EU parts from a Vito or V-class, I don't really see an issue with that, because I know the lights have been tested, certified, ... and when properly equipped and dialed in; it won't blind other users.

I personally wish we had the option to spec the better front and rear lights from a Vito or V-class, as I would pay for them in my next van.

When it comes to LEDs and Halogens in regular housings, one off / limited run lights from China with fake EU stamps, ... yeah. I hope the vehicle does not catch on fire.

·
Registered
520 Posts
There is a shop here that installs AKD for several dealership 'LED upgrade', this is the brand they recommended. Light pattern and cut-off is pretty much on par. The start up and turn signal sequence is a nice without over doing it.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
375 Posts
I agree they look cool, I understand it is being done, and perhaps it is a high quality lighting product with good durability, no nasty side-effects for other road users, etc ...
It may be this brand is the best in class aftermarket brand. Etc And it can sell like hot cakes as many countries don't have technical inspection, so no worries whatsoever, the cooler the better.
And in some countries it may fly under the radar due to upgraded V-class and Vito being on the road. And, in some countries technical inspection is just a sticker that the vehicle is mechanically sound and all parts are operational, your brakes work, your tires are not worn below the wear indicators and all the lights are functional (regardless of origin).

But that's not everywhere. Unless it is an exact MB parts swap with built in auto-leveling ... it will fail EU technical inspection. They have intimate knowledge of cars, can scan the VIN, see what's different. Hint: only certified parts are allowed ... and every year, each car's lighting is checked in detail, aim level & brightness. And any officer who suspects you have aftermarket headlights can send you to technical inspection for verification or just issue you a ticket right away if he knows what he's doing ( lack of E certs, or fakes is not hard to check ) ... and you'll be removing those $1250 headlights. There was a fad one time to run with red, blue, green caps or film on headlights ... sold for private property use only. Right!!

YMMV.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
952 Posts
The limited description on those says "light height adjustable". I'd imagine a person would contact them for more details before plunking down 1200 bucks, but who knows. Not sure I've ever seen a non self leveling xenon headlight. The adjustment is probably setting the zero. Just speculating. I'm not advocating for these. I only picked them at random.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts