Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
I doubt they actually spin that fast based on the sound they make which is nearly none, certainly only audible if the car is off and lights are on...a small hum.

I've worked on plenty of equipment with ~40mm 6000+ rpm fans, they are LOUD, as in, screaming loud.

Just an FYI, even the MB factory LED lighting system has fans. My brother's E400 has cooling fans in the headlights, you can hear those too.

You seem slightly obsessed with bashing LED alternative bulbs. Did they take your lunch money or stuff you in a locker or something? :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
SAE International ®
Browse Publications Technical Papers 2019-01-0850
2019-04-02
Evaluation of After-Market Light Emitting Diode Headlight Bulbs 2019-01-0850
Taking advantage of growing consumer interest in light emitting diode (LED) headlights, an increasing number of after-market LED replacement bulbs is available on the market. They are designed to have similar socket shapes and sizes as halogen bulbs, in order to fit into existing headlight housings. Although none of these LED replacement bulbs conform to present federal headlighting regulations, and some are labeled for "off road use" only, others claim to meet current regulations. Regardless, many different LED bulbs can be easily purchased and installed by vehicle owners, who may or may not be aware of their regulatory status. Several different LED replacement bulb kits, each designed to replace a conventional 55-W H11 halogen bulb, were purchased and tested in three different low-beam headlight units. Photometric measurements at several critical test points for headlight performance revealed that none of the resulting distributions met all of the test point photometric requirements. Some intensity values were lower than allowed minima while others exceeded allowed maxima. Photographs of the resulting beam patterns for each combination of LED bulb and headlight unit, when compared to the patterns with the halogen bulb, revealed stark differences in performance between the halogen and LED bulbs. Even though some bulbs more closely matched halogen performance, performance for different headlights using the same LED bulb could vary widely. These findings suggest that using after-market LEDs to replace halogen bulbs can compromise headlighting performance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are now integrated LED's available for the metris, I installed them in my van, and they're awesome. Nice bright white light and focused beam.

Highly recommended!

View attachment 18000
Looks great! I am wondering to get one!

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
119 Posts
PS:
I shared the above as both somebody who has struggled with poor incandescent performance in cars, minivans and SUVs, and has looked for solutions to see better at night. I know 100% that the default lights even on MB can be mediocre at best.

At the same time, I am ... exasperated ... trying to drive in the evening and at night; surrounded by cars, vans and especially jacked up pickup trucks with whatever kind of lights in their factory housings and completely blinding me from behind through my three mirrors ... and worse, as oncoming traffic. Curving twisty two lane roads, a one hour drive ... at least a dozen instances of not being able to see for 10-15 secs due to ignoramuses wanting the brightest and whitest light on their truck ... with complete disregard of other road users and what is actually legal. Can't see a thing before you cross paths for 10 secs and it takes another 5 for eyes to re-adjust.

Please think twice before putting different bulb types in factory housings, and spread the message.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
The truth is that light is a thing measured in many different ways- color, directionality, diffusion, intensity, focus. LEDs are not a universally bad lighting technology, but the nature of them (a very bright light emanating from a small single spot diode) requires that they be harnessed properly when being used in any capacity other than direct illumination (e.g. a light bar of a digit on a calculator), as their nature is to concentrate all of their light output at their source.

They need to be diffused to be used for decent room illumination in a lightbulb, for instance, while incandescent lights do not. Most applications of light are not terribly specific- a lamp in a house has the job of flooding a room with general light usually, for instance.

Headlamps, however, are very specific. They are supposed to produce some light to oncoming traffic, a decent amount of light to the floor in front of the car, and a strong amount of light to the distance directly in front of the car. The headlamp bulbs do this by producing full radiant light, and letting reflectors and focusing lenses modulate it.

It is possible to create an LED bulbunit that could project that kind of light into the headlamp housing, but it requires dozens if not hundreds of small diodes, and a diffuser, which would be very expensive, generate rather intense heat, and would not realistically produce substantially superior light to the simple halogen unit it would replace. When combined with the external cooling unit the system would require, it would likely not fit in many housings, and would probably cost a good percentage of the price of retrofitting a OEM dedicated LED headlamp unit, which would actually produce better lighting performance.

Reallt, just don’t do it.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts