Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Pac-Audio harness keeps the standard steering wheel button functions, but apparently eliminates the driver info as displayed in between the speedo and tach. This would eliminate access to several important system settings such as parking sensor sensitivity, TPMS, trip meter, fuel consumption, blind spot assist on/off, lane keeping assist on/off; you get the picture.

I’d be interested in hearing from anyone who has replaced the factory head unit and been able to retain any/all of the on board computer functions/settings that I have described.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whoever told you that is a fucking idiot.

You might lose your ability to control the stereo through that system, but it will do nothing else.

Pac-Audio told me that.

To be clear, I'm talking about replacing the Audio 15 head unit with a Pioneer Nav Head and using a Pac Audio harness. All they guarantee is standard wheel button stuff such as volume, receiver on/off, etc. They say that driver information as reflected in the dashboard in front of the driver cannot be controlled, scrolled, etc through their harness.

The stereo and navigation can be controlled but the Driver information window in front of the driver will no longer give turn info. They seem to believe that the Audio 15 is a pass through for signals for the onboard computer.

If you have replaced the Audio 15 with an aftermarket HU and have retained wheel button control over the onboard Computer functions/display, I'm interested in hearing what harness you used to accomplish that.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
You could replace the audio 15 with a gum ball machine. It’s just an infotainment system. It has nothing to do with your cars other systems!

·
Registered
900 Posts
This kind of misinformation is understandable when our legion is well under 20,000 total in the U.S. (And I don't believe that number) And anyhow, as far as I am concerned, picking which turn signal harness for the side cams and which harness for the steering wheel audio controls is not unlike crawling about what I imagine the back alleys of Taipei to be hunting for the right wiring harness. Amazon be damned. I dunno Pac-Audio, maybe great, but on this forum at least Crutchfield and mebbe Best Buy seem safe.

Personally, I am right behind you as the Audio 15 just offends me. But my cash is drizzling away on silly things like windows and swivels and shades and . . .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts