Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm new to these forums. I recently bought a franchise and our corporate recommended the Nissan NV1500 and the Metris. My questions; Do you think clients frown down seeing a Mercedes vs Nissan pull up for service work? Most my customers live in homes over 300K. They most likely don't know the price point is the same on both vehicles. I think the Nissan has a better warranty. I don't want to be to flashy, but I want the customer to know they are getting good service, like the vehicles we drive. Has anyone every had a client say "you must be doing pretty well to drive a Mercedes"? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
It depends on the client. Personally I don't care what service people drive. They could show up in a brand new Miss Agnes for all I care.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Being serious, a customer who thinks your success at what you do is a bad thing is not really the customer you want. Those are the customers who try to get everything they can out of you "on the house". When someone gives you good service at a fair price and stands by it, their success is something you should hope for, like that of a favorite restaurant.

I have a plumber, who I like. I haven't seen him in 3 years because he fixed all of my problems and did it right. He wasn't the cheapest guy for the work, but not seeing your plumber for 3 years in a 110 year old house with its original 1920s retrofit plumbing isn't good- it's a miracle. He could drive up in an S-class for all I care, he's got my business.

And honestly, the NV200 is two size classes down from the Metris (it is smaller than a Ford Transit Connect), is insanely narrow (my wife and I had trouble sitting together, and while I am large, my wife is under 5' and skinny).

·
Registered
195 Posts
Well, I actually am serious (at least a bit :wink:). I understand your point. But, people are strange, and when dealing with people who provide your livelihood it doesn't hurt to play the necessary games to keep them happy. I'm retired, but I dealt with the public for decades in my profession. Their perception of you can go a long way to establishing a good business/customer relationship.
To the franchisee. If you even think it'll be a problem with your customer base you should do your best to alleviate their concern.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I do understand your point. There was a period in the flea market world, about 5 years ago, or 5-10, when the Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter was taking the vendor vehicle pool by storm. Why? Flea marketeering is a full time occupation, and the flea market map for my region spans the Meadowlands Stadium to the north, New Castle, DE to the south, the shore to the east, and Harrisburg, PA to the west. As a flea market guy, I was doing 6 markets a weak and restocking (Easton, PA, if you really must know). Me and most of my co-workers were putting an average of 1200 miles a week on our vehicles (and getting an average of 5 hours sleep in cheap motel rooms). I was driving a Ford Econoline for a while (10ish mpg) and then an GMC T6500 with 7.2 litres of the most unreliable Caterpilar you've ever seen under the cab (8-9 mpg). The Sprinter? Guys were averaging 23 mpg, and the 3500 177" EXT offered roughly the space of a 12' 96" box truck, only slightly down from the standard 14' box most of us had on our trucks.

Just to do the math, at the time diesel was $3.50 a gallon, so my truck took 141 gallons a week at a cost of $493. The Sprinter? 52 gallons, or $182 a week. This was back when it was the only Eurovan here, of course. To do the math further, that means it saved the average vendor $311 a week, not including the vastly reduced tolls from the vans substantially lower weight. $311 a week is $1347 a month. A Sprinter 3500 with basic Cargo and driver comfort options is $51k without negotiation and on a 4-year loan is $1106 a month with nothing down and nothing traded in. That means that for the first four years of Sprinter ownership the can costs you -$242 a month, or -$2904 a year. That's versus keeping your old truck and assuming it requires no repairs. Forget about comparing it to a choice of purchasing a Sprinter for $51k or an Isuzu NPR HD for ~$40k.

Or if we assume that either vehicle will last 10 years and 620k miles (and both are quite capable), the previous favorite truck, the Isuzu NPR HD with a 14' x 96" x 86" box will cost you $40kish to buy and $255,294 to fuel, for a total of $295,294. The Sprinter will cost you $51kish to buy and $94,347 to fuel, for a total of $145k to own for the same period. The cost of upgrading from the Isuzu to a Mercedes saved us a couple of years profits- and thats for the less successful among us.

We could even afford to cut our margins using such a van. The customer, because we drove a Mercedes instead of an Isuzu, often got a better deal. But that didn't stop a few of them from looking at the logo on the back of our van and wondering if we were overcharging them.

So I do understand that fear completely. But honestly, you have to keep your comfort in mind, too. And that Nissan is a horror show in that regard. Its got New York City cabbies in outright revolt.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hello! I'm new to these forums. I recently bought a franchise and our corporate recommended the Nissan NV1500 and the Metris. My questions; Do you think clients frown down seeing a Mercedes vs Nissan pull up for service work? Most my customers live in homes over 300K. They most likely don't know the price point is the same on both vehicles. I think the Nissan has a better warranty. I don't want to be to flashy, but I want the customer to know they are getting good service, like the vehicles we drive. Has anyone every had a client say "you must be doing pretty well to drive a Mercedes"? Thanks!
I've been using mine for about a month for service. Not one residential customer has even mentioned the van. But, the maintenance men at some of our commercial accounts have. They usually say something like, " you got a benz?".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts