Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
Finally after 5 month wait my new 2018 Metris cargo van came in.
Its missing one key component that was ordered, blind spot monitoring.
My dealer was going to check if that can be added by them
Any idea if this is doable?

Thanks

·
Registered
939 Posts
It certainly can. Just not sure what if it needs a different wiring harness.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
These kinds of errors are a side effect of offering choice. I’m not defending it, but the reason these kinds of things don’t happen at Honda or Toyota is they batch build large numbers of completely identical cars. The opportunity to screw up option placements is low when every car is the same.

Watch a Sprinter production video and watch how VW Crafters follow Freightliners and Mercedes models, different wheel bases, colors, roof heights, and so on. They also make a show of how careful the building is. Now imagine all that variation vehicle to vehicle without that carefully edited care. I mean I don’t think they are 80s GM like in Vitoria, but they can’t possibly be that cautious either.

Not excusing, it really is unacceptable. Not that mistakes happen- that’s a byproduct of what I mentioned above. What’s unforgivable is it ships that way.

·
Registered
248 Posts
These kinds of errors are a side effect of offering choice. I’m not defending it, but the reason these kinds of things don’t happen at Honda or Toyota is they batch build large numbers of completely identical cars. The opportunity to screw up option placements is low when every car is the same.

Watch a Sprinter production video and watch how VW Crafters follow Freightliners and Mercedes models, different wheel bases, colors, roof heights, and so on. They also make a show of how careful the building is. Now imagine all that variation vehicle to vehicle without that carefully edited care. I mean I don’t think they are 80s GM like in Vitoria, but they can’t possibly be that cautious either.

Not excusing, it really is unacceptable. Not that mistakes happen- that’s a byproduct of what I mentioned above. What’s unforgivable is it ships that way.

I ordered my BMW with countless of options and very unique combinations and it came exactly as I ordered. A friend of mine ordered a C or E class (Can't remember now) and it came exactly as ordered. I work in automotive plants, and even Ford and GM do way better job with production tracking and error proofing than the Vitoria Plant!!!!

You'll be surprised that even siilar looking cars can have multiple options that have to be tracked. Toyota is good at creating Error proofing (Poka Yoke) devices to avoid this issues. All I can think off is manual override due to human errors at the plant

·
Registered
200 Posts
In general, I think people are too stupid to choose options from a complex array. The manufacturing cost of these options is usually so small that they would not add significantly to the overall vehicle cost for those that are truly optional - but then the opportunity to overcharge the consumer for them would be lost. BMW offers a stripped down model and reserves the sticker shock for those who add all of the stuff any sensible luxury car buyer would add anyway. And, for the poor slob like me who isn't told that a vehicle is undrivable without the cold weather package above 40 Degrees N latitude, well, too bad.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I would wonder if there was an error in the dealer order. Ours was ordered, the order was double checked by me and the salesman and the the sales manager reviewed it again with me. It arrived exactly as I ordered it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
In my case, they missed the sun roof!!!! It was ordered and I was charged for it. (I got a refund, though)

They are simply stupid.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Mine arrived as ordered, too. And while if we are talking about a Camry, or even a V-class to some extent, I agree a la carte optioning of vehicles is bad for the average consumer, it is different in something like the Metris.

To wit: I did not want carpeting. No, it isn’t that expensive to put in. It could easily be standard; a lot of people who order the passenger van probably want it. I didn’t; it doesn’t suit my particular wants. My wife is a house cleaner, and we both engage in out door activities that involve sweating and dirt. A permanently installed carpet is not a good thing.

The Worker vans are basically Mercedes offering them both ways.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would wonder if there was an error in the dealer order. Ours was ordered, the order was double checked by me and the salesman and the the sales manager reviewed it again with me. It arrived exactly as I ordered it.
Yes possibly. When I ordered mine, the salesman ordered the back up alarm instead of the back up camera. I caught it on review of the order.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts