Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,097 Posts
Wonderful!
Looks super practical, efficient and effective.
What are you using for power setup?
Given the machinery, computer, battery charger.

What Led light strips did you use?

My adhesive dimmable led strips with corner 90s in a double 8 pattern seem to struggle ...
Going to have to take them down and probably do one or two strips like you have.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wonderful!
Looks super practical, efficient and effective.
What are you using for power setup?
Given the machinery, computer, battery charger.

What Led light strips did you use?

My adhesive dimmable led strips with corner 90s in a double 8 pattern seem to struggle ...
Going to have to take them down and probably do one or two strips like you have.
I've got a little 400W inverter powering the computer, battery charger, and key machine. It struggles and will upgrade soon.
Got the LED strips from Lowes. Had to trim them until they would work. The length is the absolute maximum the van will allow on that circuit. They have worked perfectly for years now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome! Also curious about power.

Love the security cameras. How's the air? Wondered if you had plans to add a max fan on the roof.
Front only air is better than I expected. I insulated the roof with foam and plastic. the protective side panels work well on their own.
Super comfortable working in the back in the Texas winter and summer.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Great work. Is that headliner your work? It looks great with the LED strips --

Reactions: StevenNovak

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great work. Is that headliner your work? It looks great with the LED strips --
Yes, it's a layer of foam with a sheet of ABS plastic bonded to it. I then mounted it with automotive plastic rivets. The LED housing help contour the ceiling. The LED strips are stuck inside a simple aluminum U channel extrusion. The lights are connected to the Dome Light circuit. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,320 Posts
I like the idea of using the u channel for the leds as structure for the roof panels. Many great extrusions out there these days to do this kind of thing plus with aluminum you can still form it a little to contour. I've built my own under cabinet and accent lighting with RGBCCT strips with extrusion and caps and it turns out great.

Did you bond the foam and abs or did it come that way? Curious what glue you might have used if you did it yourself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like the idea of using the u channel for the leds as structure for the roof panels. Many great extrusions out there these days to do this kind of thing plus with aluminum you can still form it a little to contour. I've built my own under cabinet and accent lighting with RGBCCT strips with extrusion and caps and it turns out great.

Did you bond the foam and abs or did it come that way? Curious what glue you might have used if you did it yourself.
I bought big plastic sheets from a local place I found online. Bonded it to 1/4" insulation with a 3M spray adhesive. Cutting them to the contour of the van was the trick. Made a pattern first using cardboard.

·
Registered
21 Metris 135 cargo on order
11 Posts
OPPS doubled pictures. This is my setup 21 Metris as a kitchen and bath remodeler. Still in the fine tuning. Insulated with rock wool plus sound mat, 1/2" plywood. center LED is a self stick for a pickup tail gate from Menards. Maybe not best choice but works. Taking pix to put on as a wrap. Been excellent in Illinois weather.

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,097 Posts
Great setup @bbcconst !

Dual sliding doors, solid cabinet ply, plywood ceiling, ...
Love the quick access charged battery storage, and round tie down / bungee holes.

( I wonder if it should be its own thread, to leave this one for Steven, and/or if we should create a share your setup mega-thread )

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got a little 400W inverter powering the computer, battery charger, and key machine. It struggles and will upgrade soon.
Got the LED strips from Lowes. Had to trim them until they would work. The length is the absolute maximum the van will allow on that circuit. They have worked perfectly for years now.
when you say the length is the absolute maximum the van will allow are they fed from the vans lighting circuit or the inverter?. If it’s the van do you remember the total wattage that you added? Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts