Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I placed my Factory Special Order for a 2018 Metris Cargo Long Wheel Base approx. 4 weeks ago .
My dealer required a $2k deposit
He said it would have been only $1k if I ordered color white ( I ordered Pebble Gray )
I was told , my deposit would be refundable , up until the time the dealership gets my build date .
At that time , I would be required to come in to sign paperwork confirming I have been given a build date ,
and then my deposit would become non-refundable .
What has me worried is , after my deposit becomes non-refundable ,
what if our President slaps that 20% tariff on European vehicles coming into the USA ?
That would be horrible if that happens and I would be forced to pay an extra 20%
I would think , when I go in to sign papers about my build date , I would also be signing for an agreed upon price ,
yet I feel somewhat sure there will be some fine print as I cannot imagine the dealership absorbing the 20% tariff .
Seems like it might have been the wrong time to Special Order a Metris ??????

·
Registered
191 Posts
What has me worried is , after my deposit becomes non-refundable ,
what if our President slaps that 20% tariff on European vehicles coming into the USA ?
That would be horrible if that happens and I would be forced to pay an extra 20%
I would think , when I go in to sign papers about my build date , I would also be signing for an agreed upon price ,
yet I feel somewhat sure there will be some fine print as I cannot imagine the dealership absorbing the 20% tariff.
I'd ask them to send the paperwork now so you can read the fine print, and tell them your concern.

·
Registered
587 Posts
My salesman strongly discouraged the pebble gray, claiming it most resembled baby sh*t. I ordered Navy Blue for a $500 deposit, same terms re finalizing the order. He said explicitly that certain special orders were not re-marketable, and they'd want more skin in the game. I don't have a binding contract at this point as my 6/0 build date has not been confirmed and I have only the salesman's first offer (which was pretty darn good).

·
Registered
587 Posts
Good by me too, that's why the salesman surprised me. I think I've seen it on some urban commando Sprinters, and it looks sort of Desert Rat-ish.

Reactions: uconnapharm

·
Registered
587 Posts
I like it. 6/10 was my supposed build date

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealer sent me an email Reply , regarding my Metris factory Special Order that has not yet been built and my concern if the White House imposes a 20% Tariff on imported European motor vehicles .
First they expressed their "opinion" , such a tariff will not be imposed due to the negative impact it would have on US people and businesses connected to European car market .
Then they stated that if such a tariff is imposed , they would without hesitation return my deposit , if I requested it ; no matter where my vehicle was in the build or shipping process .
I think they realize , forcing someone to pay a 20% premium that was unexpected at time of deposit would be horrible public relations .

·
Registered
587 Posts
I GOT A VIN!!!!

I actually don't believe it, but yesterday my (second) salesperson sent me the production print out with my MMCA3G 135" WB VIN. So I am actually going to get a van someday. And it shows exactly the spec I ordered beginning back on January 5, 2018.

What's the group experience on timing for getting the vans from Spain to Germany to Ladson to, in my case, central California? The salesperson made it sound like booking a trip on the Nina, Pinta or Santa Maria, but we know those ships have sailed. (sorry, couldn't resist). Am I still looking at a September delivery?

And to hijack the thread ever so slightly, I found a great MB website with line drawings and detailed specifications for MB Upfitters. It's https://www.upfitterportal.com

I'm attaching a line drawing of the 135 from the site --

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ordered our 135" Van in Sept. 2017 and took delivery middle March. Since ours is used to haul whippets, we chose the pebble grey to keep interior cooler. It does look like sand beige and with black bumpers and american racing wheels it gets compliments oh and the wait is really worth it

·
Registered
76 Posts
Delivery timing

I think mine got ordered in Oct 2016 and was delivered Mar 2017.

BTW, make sure your dealer resets the clock on your Service A.
The timer starts in Europe irrespective of how long your van sits in the port(s)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Well today is a big day -- I am heading to the dealer to sign a contract for Phantom 135. Told last week the ETA was two weeks, shipping by rail, no real info on specific delivery date, just that it was released for transport.

I noticed the mbvans.com site not only has the 2019 up, it has prices for the extended warranty. They're listing the 4/120 at $3,380.

Whaddya think? It's the last price I need to negotiate -- I got around 9% off MSRP on the van. What's the warranty worth?

Reactions: ProQuality Air

·
Registered
587 Posts
You can get a better price on the extended warranty. I just added the 4/120 for just under $3K for my 2016 van. Contact Jeff Jackson at Tafel Motors in Louisville, KY, [email protected].

You can get the extended warranty anytime while the initial warranty is still valid.

The consensus on this forum among long time MB owners is that the extended warranty is well worth the price. You don't have to have many $500 parts replaced at $100/hour for labor to break even.

Agreed on all counts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts