Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd post this for you guys. I am going to try to make it brief, but brevity is not my greatest virtue.

First of all, the 30,000 mile service is a B-service, which is usually ~$600 inclusive of tax. It involves replacing a myriad of different things beyond your basic oil change. I was expecting this, because I have owned MBs for my whole life and this was roughly what the "major" service costs. However, on the Metris (and I assume all other vehicles equipped with the 7G-Tronic) the transmission needs a fluid change at 30k miles (and every 105k miles thereafter). My guy told me this is because it has a break-in fluid initially. So the initial total would have been about $900. I also complained about a few items- radio reception (at RobMeex's suggestion- it wasn't good!) my constant problem of failure to recognize the navigation system at start up from time to time, and squeaking under certain reversing situations, and chipped off paint on the inside of the drivers door. I scheduled it for a wednesday.

I was provided a loaner car, which I commented on in http://www.metrisforum.com/forum/337-off-topic-discussion/3106-tale-3-benzes-why-i-dun-like-loaner.html, and sent on my way telling me they expected to keep the car until Thursday.

I then got a call. The radio issue was thought to be a splitter, which they ordered and were going to install. The bad news: 1) the squeak was almost worn out brake pads (they estimated 1500 miles left)- $200. Do it. 2) the front suspension got knocked way the **** out of alignment and messed up my front tires- 4 wheel suspension suspension alignment ($160) and two front new tires ($200 each balanced and mounted) were required. I did some fast checking at a few places, and while I could have gotten the tires and alignment done slightly cheaper at a few places, it was worth not having to wait for it, so I told them to go ahead. They were going to need it another night- Gosh I hated this loaner car (GLA250 for those who don't want to click the link).

Friday morning, new call. Tires, suspension, brakes, all done, good. Paint chip qualified as "premature wear" and while they agreed themselves it was a defect, they apparently need "authorization" for such work. Formality. Also, the splitter did not work so they were ordering a new COMMAND unit. They were going to keep the car over the weekend. I then informed them that the loaner car was not going to be suitable for my plans over the weekend, and asked if I could get something a little bigger. Sure, come on over.

I went back to the dealership (Which is on the other side of New Jersey from where I live, but that's my choice- there are several dealers of vans closer to me), and swapped the GLA250 for a GLE350, which was much better. Loaner guy: "Geeze. I must have misread the mileage, you couldn't have put 600 miles on this car in two days!" Yeah must have (nope!).

Kept the loaner car for the weekend, where I may or may not have put 800 more miles on it driving to Reading, Wilkes-Barre, and Binghamton. Monday morning, got a phone call from the dealer. Command unit back ordered from Germany, still waiting on paint approval, come pick up your car. Bill is $1950 including Tax.

$2 grand? That's a lot. Think maybe we could find a coupon or something? We're sure we can help you out. Went over, they knocked $300 off the bill. Well its better than nothing, and most of that bill could be laid at Chris Christie's feet. South Jersey's roads look like swiss cheese, largely because our gas tax (road user fee) was the cheapest in the nation and thus funding for road repairs didn't exist.

Interlude: That week I was getting the car repaired by a body shop because some truck couldn't bother using its canopy and dropped a big freakin' rock on my passenger-side A-pillar. Two days in a Dodge Grand Caravan American Value Package. God what a turd. Note to families: Spend the extra $6-7 grand on the comparably equipped Metris Worker. Honestly worth it. The body shop left everything in my van alone, except the two quarters I keep in the door for shopping cart deposits at Aldi. Whoever stole that is obviously an idiot (who the **** risks their job for 50¢!?), although I didn't mention it.

While I was driving this my dealer called, they had the Command unit, and the paint chip was approved, so it was going to go to a (different) bodyshop for a complete repainting job for the whole door. So that next Friday, I dropped off my Metris at my dealer, and they gave me a different GLE350- this one had the Designo red paint and the douchebag package (illuminated grill star? check, illuminated 'Mercedes-Benz' on the door sill? Check, projecting Mercedes-Benz logos on the ground at night? Check!), but it was a fine drive, and I fit in it. They did the work and I picked up my car again yesterday (Thursday, a week later basically). No charge, assurances that if any of these problems crop up again any time in the foreseeable future, they will be dealt with, even if its after the warranty is up.

I like my dealer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Are the oil changes worth having done at the dealer? I'm pretty handy with the good old fluid top offs and change outs! Not to sure on the Tranny though, that I might reserve for the RobbMeex of the world!

·
Registered
939 Posts
They're worth doing at our shop. $99 A service.
I would leave the trans service to myself as well (not my favorite job).
I might change the power steering fluid myself (>:D)

I'm surprised they suggested only pads. I was under the impression pads came with rotors.
After going to MB alignment school, I wouldn't trust any of these places to do my alignment. Metris alignment requires a special tool for measuring...

Funny, we also call it the DB package:laugh:

·
Banned
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is my opinion that if you work on Mercedes, have done so before, and are comfortable with them, it might be worth doing it yourself.

If you have never worked on Mercedes before do it at the dealer.

Robb, do you think the tranny service is really required? I think that's what S7 was asking.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Just know you have to pump the fluid up while it's running then let it run out to proper level.
Honestly, this .9plus with blue fluid is a new beast. I'm not sure why the low change interval where the cars get their first change at 70k. But after 30k, it's 105k for the next...
I'll ask while I'm in MB trans school.

Reactions: S7H

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just know you have to pump the fluid up while it's running then let it run out to proper level.
Honestly, this .9plus with blue fluid is a new beast. I'm not sure why the low change interval where the cars get their first change at 70k. But after 30k, it's 105k for the next...
I'll ask while I'm in MB trans school.
I was just thinking it had something to do with break-in wear and associated excess particulates in the fluid? Or maybe its a different fluid altogether?:frown:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Or maybe its a different fluid altogether?:frown:
I remember reading somewhere that the fluid is a break-in fluid. OTOH I think I've read that on just about every MB fluid. In fact I read "somewhere" that the tire air is break in air and must be topped off at the dealer. :wink:

·
Registered
939 Posts
In fact I read "somewhere" that the tire air is break in air and must be topped off at the dealer. :wink:
The air gets a little "flat" so it needs fluffing. I like the "off the record" canned AMG tire air. It's expensive though. Don't tell em I told you though.

·
Banned
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was under the impression that AMGs had nitrogen filled tires. I don't remember where I got that impression.

S7H- just remember one thing: use the right MB-brand filter and the right oil. And do not change it more often than 12mo/15000 miles or it asking you to do so.

The frequent oil change is a myth from way back when with crappy non synthetic oils and bad engine metulurgy.

I have read several pieces suggesting that putting your old oil through a good outside filter and changing the filter is actually adequate- although I wouldn't do it. Synthetic oils don't really break down, the logic goes, they just get dirty.

And really, in my opinion, you just spent $5-10k extra over comparably equipped vehicles to get the very best available from the oldest and best car manufacturer. Don't pinch pennies maintaining your investment!

·
Registered
939 Posts
The official unofficial is that "they're a commercial vehicle" so I (imho) think you could treat it like a car. Having had every single piece of a 722.9 apart, I don't know what could be different.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The official unofficial is that "they're a commercial vehicle" so I (imho) think you could treat it like a car. Having had every single piece of a 722.9 apart, I don't know what could be different.
Details, please do tell!:smile:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts