Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be ordering a 2021, and the wheel choices have changed. Some of the new 17" choices have a 51mm offset. That concerns me based on earlier posts on tire wear.

Should I be concerned? What are the risks, and what are the safest choices? I've attached a photo showing the wheel choices from the 2021 Dealer Ordering Guide.

Any enlightenment would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm also interested in ordering the 2021 Metris van. Can you post up the 2021 Dealer Ordering Guide so I can download it? Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
The last wheel, RL8 5 spoke 7J x 17 looks like the ones on the '20 Metris I just picked up (which actually matches our GLE wheels).
The RK8 20 spoke I have seen on some EU ones and a few NA ones.

So, I don't think that anything would have technically changed in terms of the wheel setup.

Maybe this offset was/is only mentioned in the dealer guide?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I ordered and prefer the five-spoke. The Metris creates so much brake dust that washing the van, at least the wheels, becomes a weekly chore with soapy water and a good wheel brush. The fewer spokes the better.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I completely agree with that. 5 spokes have been my favorite. And, I think they're a nice balance of strength, looks and maintenance. The more access one has to keep the wheels clean, the better. I used to have a Town & Country with probably 16 spokes ... looked good originally, but cleaning them was more of a chore than I wanted. Just like any MB ... lots of brake dust.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'm quite happy with the steelies as Iike the industrial look against the Navy Blue body with black bumpers. None of the new factory wheels really grab me either. :(

I haven't compared the weight to the alloy wheels -- GML, that would be the only downside of steel, right? This guy asserts aluminum may be up to 40% lighter, but it's highly dependent on manufacturer.

I think brake dust is closely related to driving style, but no doubt Metris is the worst vehicle I've had on that issue. I avoid using the brakes, and when I use them I try to avoid heavy pedal pressure late in a stop when the pads are already warm. In addition, I've been using ArmorAll Outlast brake dust repellent. Surprisingly, it is really great stuff highly recommended!!!! I'm not affiliated, duh, and I don't post reviews on public purchasing sites.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
As I have said before, the brake dust is a function of the kind of brake pad MB uses; it wears faster, produces tremendous brake dust, has superior stoping power, and less fade than the more typical pads.

Alloy wheels advantage are actually two fold- they are lighter and they are also stiffer to torsional stress. While theweight advantage between steel and alloy would indeed depend on the manufacturer, I would say that the wheels will be made to similar stress engineering from a given manufacturer, so I would guess that the 40% weight reduction is pretty accurate. Having hefted the alloy and steely on a flat change, I would say that estimate is close.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have cured the brake dust problem by polishing and sealing my alloy wheels when they were new and then using Armor All's Brake Dust Repellent. It is like night and day. On our BMW's/Audi's I have gone from weekly wheel washes to once every couple of months.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone. I probably should have made this clearer, but my question was to see the choice of wheel was related to the widely reported problem of uneven and rapid tire wear.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I personally think the uneven tire wear (which still occurs, albeit much reduced with the michelins and proper alignment- 47k miles with just one rotation is pretty decent for a 60k tire) is a result of the impressive speeds this leviathan can be hustled around a corner.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts