Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dateline:7/15
Took possession of a beautiful red van. The MB rep helped me with syncing my phone's Bluetooth, finding the DC outlet for my Garmin, and USB input for my iPod Classic. After some basic instruction, I headed home - a two hour trip on interstate and country highways. Like everyone here has said, this van handles real nice, or exactly like a Mercedes should handle. So I am loving it.

But ****, is it noisy! Can barely hear the stereo. Any judgement of quality of sound and possible upgrades to the sound system will have to wait until completing insulation and paneling. Same problem, obviously, with hearing a phone conversation over Bluetooth.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dateline: 7/17
I found this forum January 2016, shortly after I saw my first television commercials for the Metris. I'd owned four different Dodge cargo vans over the years; the last one was a 1992. Every one of them fit in a standard garage. These days, the Dodge and Ford E series are no longer available. Dodge Promasters, Ford Transits,and even the GMC Savana/Chevy Express are all too tall and long to fit in a standard garage. Then the Metris came along. I wanted one.

I immediately began "subscribing" (now "following") the threads that I thought might help me create the exact van I wanted. When I took delivery of my vehicle, I went to the threads that had to do with insulation and paneling and started reading. I decided on a three-layer system: 1/8" thick stick-on sound deadener, 3M Thinsulate SM600L, and 1/8" thick luaun paneling. I wanted the first layer on NOW, so I went to my local Lowe's and bought seven rolls of Frost-King. This isn't as heavy as Noico, but much cheaper, and it would be backed up with 1 3/4" or 3 1/2" (depending on depth of cavity) of Thinsulate. And I could start immediately. The van's sound level decreased noticeably with the first application.

And, hey - what's up with the bleeping stars inserted by the system in my above post? All I said was "d a m n". I've seen stronger language in this forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is a sound boost function somewhere in the bluetooth settings. It helps a lot, but overall yes the van is noisy. I have a passenger version with carpet and full aftermarket floormats, and I find it difficult to listen to podcasts or music I don't recognize. Someday I would like to upgrade the sound system, but probably won't.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts