Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ordered a set of mud flaps for my 2016 cargo van from E Bay for $46, the same site that several others in this thread have used.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Splash-Guards-Mud-Flaps-For-2016-2018-Mercedes-Benz-V-Class-W447-V220d-V250/273102051675?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=2&asc=49917&meid=34a7e707bb90487cb18e543bc6c98178&pid=100011&rk=5&rkt=7&sd=221974905557&itm=273102051675&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

The good aspects:
Very good fit- they match the contour of the van well.
The plastic appears to be a good quality.
The front flaps are easy to install with the included hardware.
The price is certainly right.

The bad aspects:
No instructions, diagram or parts list..... but not too surprising at this price.
The hardware for the rear flaps is a quandary. I used my own hardware to install them, which made the task as easy as the front flaps. (Buying 4 metal fender U clips from an auto parts store will allow you to use the screws that come with the flaps.)

Pic 1 shows the flaps, with a rear flap on the left and a front flap on the right.

I used a puddy knife and needle nose pliers to remove the 3 plastic fender clips in the front wheel well. The fender clips come out easily and you won't need them again so no worry if you damage them. Pull back the plastic fender well lining a bit to put the metal fender clips on the metal tabs that you just removed the plastic clips from. The silver metal fender U clips are a bit loose so I squeezed them a bit so that they stayed on better. If you drop one and it gets stuck in the trim, just remove the 10 mm nut on the underside to loosen the trim. The fender U clip should fall out. Realign the wheel well liner, put the mud flap in place and then screw it in place. It might take 10 to 15 minutes per mud flap. Pics 2 through 6 show the front flap.

On the rear flaps remove the plastic fender clip that corresponds with the top of the mud flap. At this point you'll be wondering why you didn't get more of the silver metal fender U clips. I had a couple of fender nuts handy so I used them along with the correct size machine screw. You could also use a metal fender U clip from an auto parts store and a screw that comes with the flaps. I spent a good 20 to 30 minutes trying to figure out how the 3 enclosed brown metal clips went onto the mud flap. There are 3 slots clearly designed for them. When I had a couple in place they were quite loose and would undoubtedly fall out so I removed them. Perhaps some of you recall the Gary Larson Far Side cartoon showing the dog scientists struggling to figure out the Door Knob Principle. If any one figures out the Fender Clip Principle, let me know.

The lower attachment point on the rear flap does not line up with a factory attachment point. There's one plastic fender clip that is close, but if you try to use it the mud flap will be distorted. I held the mud flap tightly against the van and drilled a hole into the plastic trim. I secured the mud flap to the trim with a stainless steel machine screw (#8 x 1"), washers and a nylock nut. You could also use a metal fender clip and a screw that comes with the flaps. With the flap sitting tightly against the van and attached securely at the top and bottom, I was not worried about not using the 3 metal clips on the rear flaps. Pics 8 and 9.

With the additional hardware handy, the rear flaps are even faster to install than the front ones.

All in all, I'm happy with them. They fit and look good. Installation is easy if you buy 4 additional U clips. Plus the price is tough to beat, although it took several weeks for them to arrive from China.
Anyone try the eBay mud flaps for the 2018 Metris?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Not me. I used MB Branded flaps from ebay. The rears are a bear to install because the metal U-clips that clamp the flap to the rear bumper cover are super sturdy and stiff. You actually need to cut small slots in the edge of the bumper cover to reduce the thickness of the area the U-clips clamp.

Lastly, I found that MB's cavity sealant (used as a rust inhibitor, brown waxy goo, formerly known as Cosmoline) is best liberally applied to anything on the Metris that can rust.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
We have been using for over 2 years, the ebay aftermarket mudflaps which are specifically contoured ( I recall that the only details important at the time of specification was the year, 2016+ and the absence of runner or sideskirts. Rear flaps were straightforward with u-clips which had barbs which I essentially forced to 'bite" the flap on one side, and the interior of the body panel on the other side. It has worked well, but corrosion is starting to form.

Mudflaps have eliminated the rooster tails of old dead leaves, much and grass on the sides aft of the wheels. In my mind, those gravelly and earthy bits would have been gradually eroding the paint. MPG is less, but that may have also coincided with the wheel change from stock alloy 17x7 with 225/55r17 tires to 18x8 with 255/45r18 tires.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts