Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live in rural area and have problems with mice nesting in our vehicles, especially during the colder months. On our other vehicles I’ve installed 1/4” hardware cloth over intakes, inside air cleaners and around cold air inlets for the heater/AC.
We purchased a new 2017 Cargo in December 2018 and today I thought I heard scurrying in the cowling after I stopped and shut down the van. Flashlight inspection showed possibly one dropping but to be on the safe side I set traps in the engine compartment tonight and plan on screening as soon as the rain stops this week.
Hints or suggestions where to find mouse access points on a metris? Help is much appreciafed. ???

·
Registered
2016 Cargo converted into a camper van
340 Posts
Maybe go for a lethal solution.... like a cat.

In Denali National Park in Alaska, the Park Service has a problem with ground squirrels getting into their vehicles in some locations. A ground squirrel is about like a 2 pound mouse so even bigger potential for damage. They actually have hardware cloth enclosures that they park the vehicles in when they will be sitting for any length of time. An inconvenient but effective solution.

·
Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
270 Posts
I have a ferret that is so efficient at taking care of my houses mouse problem, we ended up starting a breeding operation to keep him fed.
If he gets his mice handed to him, does he still work to get the wild ones?

JK - That's actually pretty cool.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cats we’ve had a’plenty but they’re useless once the vermin are in the heat ducts or deep in the engine compartment.
My concern is open intakes to engine induction air as well as fresh air inlets for the heater/AC. Any hints before I start pulling off panels?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am curious to follow along with your approach.

I have had the wiring in a mini van chewed up in the past.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts