Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
The cargo van & passenger van are quite different animals as the cargo area, cargo van would be drill holes.

I am trying to leave the floor carpet intact, will see.

Metroplex did not post how he held down the chaulk, I am looking for something more securely held down & inches here may matter.

Thnx
I think I mentioned in your other thread that it would not be all that difficult to make a plate that bolts down to the seat rails. You can span the rails and use u-bolts or j/hook bolts to bolt down to the pins in the rails. Bolt whatever you want to the plate. If you do this the plate will not be compromised by the carpet padding. It should set on the rail tops.

Max tensile load on the seat rails is 787 lbf assuming 2 tie down points and 1 meter distance between points.

If you were only worried about forward forces you could tether your chaulk to the seat anchors as shown in the picture I linked to. Two tethers and 4 straps to d rings would probably do it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought the Metris mainly for hauling my motorcycles to the track. I looked at the other small to mid sized vans, and none of them could haul two motorcycles. The Metris is able to do it easily with room to spare for tools, gear, and the other stuff needed for a race/track day.

So what do you need to make it happen? At a minimum, you will need a ramp tie down straps. The ramp doesn't have to be arched since the Metris is so low to the ground. The motorcycle can be rolled in by just pushing it. Or you can roll it in under power. Since I am short and recovering from an arm injury, I start the bike and let off the clutch to roll it in. Either way, it's less stressful than loading a motorcycle on a pickup truck. BTW, I just saw someone drop their bike of their ramp at the track. I used to always worry about doing that.

If you have a partition, you can put a bike in the middle of the van; without the partition, you will have to load the motorcycle behind one of the seats. If loading in two bikes, both will go directly behind the seats. The front tire of each bike will line-up in the middle of the seats. That should give ample clearance on both sides of the motorcycles.

For the perfect Metris Motorcycle Hauler (MMH, which I'm going to trademark), sliding doors on both sides, cargo protection panels, rubber floor mat, a partition, wheel chocks, and additional tie-down points are needed. The left side sliding door makes life easier when you want to down the bikes and just loading the van. It is well worth the extra cost on the cargo version. The partition is kind of a must. The partition will be used for two reasons: contain the smells and prevent crap from flying at you and the passenger. You will appreciate the partition when you have to slam on the brakes and you don't feel or see a 400+ lbs motorcycle press into your seat. The wheel chocks makes it really easy to load the motorcycles. Just roll them in the van on the chocks and tie them down. They also help to keep the front tire steady when driving. The additional tie-down points are a must. I added two to the bottom of my partition so I can tie down my canyon dancers. Eventually, will add either L-tracks or Pitbull restraints to the plywood. If you don't add tie down points and loading two motorcycles, the straps will be going across the other motorcycle. My van doesn't have the protection panels at the top, yet. I worry about the bike moving and hitting the side of the van, which will create a dent viewable on the outside. The panels will prevent that from happening. And lastly, the rubber floor mat will give you sure footing while loading the bikes in the wet and the dry. It will also keep fluids from leaking on your plywood floor.

Gas mileage is excellent with either one or two motorcycles in the back. With one in the back and all of my crap, I average 25.8 mpg for a 250 mile trip, one-way, to VIR. With two, I averaged slightly above 22 mpg. Both times I was averaging around 65 mph.

Ride quality feels the same. I actually think the van handles better when weighted. It feels planted. The rear of the van will drop a bit. But it's nothing to get worried about.

You will have to get creative with loading the other items you bring along. With my sportbikes loaded, which are about 8 feet long, there's about a foot of space behind the rear tires (pictures below). There's also space between the motorcycles and at the front of bikes. I put rails on the roof to load my top box. But I haven't needed it yet.

You can haul with the passenger van. But you will have to take out those heavy arse seats, and you might risk making the rear of the van smell like fuel/oil/tire. I really wanted the passenger van because it was the best bang for the buck. But I knew the interior was going to be ruined with motorcycles going in and out all the time.

Hopefully this helps those looking to get a small-sized or mid-sized van for carrying your motorcycles. As of 2016, the Metris is the only small to mid size van that can haul a motorcycle without moving front seats, or having a front wheel protrude between the driver and passenger seat, or having the bike sit diagonally.
Do you have any clearance issues with your ramp and the rear bumper?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Going to bump this, anymore riders using the Metris these days? Lets see those set ups. Curious if possible to leave the two seater bench inside and have the front wheel of a bike on the right side of it, but not sure if would clear.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Do you have any clearance issues with your ramp and the rear bumper?
Sorry for the late response. No clearance issues with the ramp over bumper. I did put a bumper protector strip on the top of the bumper just in case the ramp slips since I have a painted bumper.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Going to bump this, anymore riders using the Metris these days? Lets see those set ups. Curious if possible to leave the two seater bench inside and have the front wheel of a bike on the right side of it, but not sure if would clear.
Depends on the motorcycle. You would have no problem with a dirtbike since it's so small. A road bike or cruiser would be really really tight. But it's possible. Having the rear tire go in first would be the way to go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use my Metris (Cargo Van) for hauling my bikes. I can easily get my two vintage Triumphs in at the same time. I also just took a 3500 mile trip in the Metris to Nova Scotia with my '03 Triumph Bonneville in the back. I built a raised floor with two ramps for the bikes and one for me right into the raised floor. I just pull out the ramps and power the bikes into the back. I will post a few pictures of the setup.

The first photo shows my subfloor with one ramp removed. Although it is hard to see, there is a flat bar across the back of the bumper. It is connected to my trailer hitch and is very sturdy. The ramps have slots in them that fit over this bar making sure they do not slip out as you move the bikes into and out of the van. It also keeps most of the weight off the plastic bumper.

The second photo shows my '70 Bonneville and my '68 Tiger in the van all loaded up.

The third photo is my '03 Bonneville loaded up for our Nova Scotia trip. And the fourth is just a shot of the Wife and I on the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia, a trip I highly recommend.

Gene

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am doing the same switch to the cargo van to haul motorcycles. Picking up a new 2019 Monday with some interior cargo finishing. Then a long road trip for riding one weekend and back. Should be a great test run.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been following this thread and finally got my Metris passenger. it double as family hauler and a surf van. so far love it! the bark busters have to be turned down to fit without compressing forks.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Isaltyko, if you shorten you ramp you shouldn't have a problem with your barkbusters, at least in the lowest point at the rear. I went to a new aluim. ramp and had to cut it down so go in easier. I use my metris weekly for moto. It's a good package. My sport bike I can just ride it in and just duck my head.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought this van to exclusively haul motorcycles. Phase one of my moto van was completed 10 days ago and it has already been to the track four times since then. I am really liking it so far, it is quiet, comfortable, and reminds me of my old Jetta TDI Wagon for handling and speed. Fuel mileage for the first two tanks has been 22 mpg.

For phase one I installed:

Ranger Design MaxView Partition
MotoProHQ E-Track Wheel Chock
Bedrug Vantred Cargo Mat
3M Paint Protection Film on the rear bumper liftover

I installed the Ranger Design partition myself and replaced all the SAE hardware with metric stainless steel hardware from McMaster-Carr. There were a few tricks to get it installed correctly, but I am glad I had took the time to do it right.

My van is the 135" LWB, but I used the 126" Vantred cargo mat, which fits almost perfectly with the Ranger partition, as the partition sits so far back into the cargo area.

Phase two will be cabinets and storage for the long list of things I bring to the track. :)

--
Rex
IMG_8561.jpeg IMG_8557.jpeg IMG_8556.jpeg

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I installed the Ranger Design partition myself and replaced all the SAE hardware with metric stainless steel hardware from McMaster-Carr. There were a few tricks to get it installed correctly, but I am glad I had took the time to do it right.
If you want some additional tie down points at the front, you can add pre-drilled l-track at the bottom of the partition. The holes, which are 4 inches apart usually, line up perfectly with the bolt holes on the partition. It's a big help when hauling two bikes or when something blocks the path to one of the van tie down points.

Looking forward to seeing the build!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here's mine loaded up from last weekend's track excursion. I use the Baxley wheel chock and tie down to secure the bike. I've even fitted my GSX-R1000 and a Yamaha R6 in the back for a trackday back in Feb.

Attachments

41 - 55 of 55 Posts