Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen some great discussion on getting track bikes, street bikes and small dirt bikes in Metris vans. I am looking to get a Metris van to carry my kayaks, pull my camper, and (hopefully) stash my motorcycle inside. Has anybody put a full-sized adventure bike in? I have a KTM Adventure 1190 that I am hoping I can get inside if I take the windscreen off. Barring that, I know I can put a smaller bike in, but is it possible to have tie downs put in for a passenger build? I saw some people modifying the seat tracks for a wheel chock, is that effective?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have great success using my passenger van to transport two vintage Norton race bikes. I’ve also hailed my 5th generation VFR. I don’t think the KTM would be a problem at all. Just check height against door opening height. I think the one piece lift gate may have less overhead clearance than the swing open cargo doors.
I made wheel chicks from cheap HF chicks and pieces of 2 x 12. I also put eye bolts in inside of seat base to use with existing D-rings in floor. So far, very pleased with this arrangement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have great success using my passenger van to transport two vintage Norton race bikes. I’ve also hailed my 5th generation VFR. I don’t think the KTM would be a problem at all. Just check height against door opening height. I think the one piece lift gate may have less overhead clearance than the swing open cargo doors.
I made wheel chicks from cheap HF chicks and pieces of 2 x 12. I also put eye bolts in inside of seat base to use with existing D-rings in floor. So far, very pleased with this arrangement.
Ah yes, the liftgate option might make it hard to get the bike up and in...

·
Registered
1 Posts
The height will be a problem. I use my 2016 Metris passenger to haul my older bikes - '70's Norton and Triumphs - but it's too much of a hassle to put my KTM 690 Enduro inside. I need to remove the windscreen/headlight shell and turn down the handlebars...then also cinch the front shocks to clear the door opening (I have the top opening door.) I can then uncinch the shocks and tie down as normal. I think the 1190 will fit, but it won't be quick!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The height will be a problem. I use my 2016 Metris passenger to haul my older bikes - '70's Norton and Triumphs - but it's too much of a hassle to put my KTM 690 Enduro inside. I need to remove the windscreen/headlight shell and turn down the handlebars...then also cinch the front shocks to clear the door opening (I have the top opening door.) I can then uncinch the shocks and tie down as normal. I think the 1190 will fit, but it won't be quick!
Thanks good intel... a lot of people put sport bikes in and small dirt bikes, so it is good to hear from someone with a bigger dual sport type bike.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Your KTM is taller than my Ninja 1000. And I can barely fit it in my cargo version with the windscreen up. You may have more success with the cargo. You give up about 2 inches of ceiling height with the passenger van. Even with the windscreen off, I can't see the KTM fitting. I hope I'm wrong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts