Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm writing-up my experience of using a cargo Metris as a motorcycle hauler for track days. I've had the Metris for a couple of seasons and use it to haul my sport bike. The info on this forum helped me make informed decision about which van to buy and I thought I should share my own experience.

Research
I'd made the decision in the winter of 2018 that I wanted to buy a van. Up to this point I'd been riding to the track and it was time in my life for a little more comfort. Oh man, do I love the option to sip a coffee and listen to the radio! Anyhow, prior to buying the Metris I did a lot of research and as I mentioned this forum was super helpful. I recommend the following threads:

Motorcycles and the Metris started by GoGoKawi
Metris Cargo Van as a Toy Hauler started by Etdown
Metris For Hauling Dirt Bikes started by Reese

Motorcyclist magazine also wrote-up a good article on hauling a couple of bikes in the cargo area of the Metris:
MC Tested: 2016 Mercedes-Benz Metris Cargo Van Motorcycle Hauler Review

Some background about the vans I researched. I focused on small to mid-sized vans including the Ford Transit Connect, Ram Promaster City, and Nissan NV 200. There were a couple of important considerations for me:
  • My liter sport bike needed to fit in the cargo area with a partition installed (and not poke between the driver and passenger seats)
  • The cargo area needed to include room for other equipment
  • The cargo area needed to be spacious enough for an air mattress so I could camp/sleep at the track
At track I checked out some vans that fellow riders used to haul their bikes. One rider hauled his KTM 390 in a Ford Transit Connect SWB and the bike just about fitted (the bikes front wheel poked between the driver/passenger seat a little). At a dealership I checked out the Transit Connect LWB which would be a tight fit and no partition. The Transit Connect had a lower ceiling height, making "walking-in" the bike a tighter squeeze. During the winter off season I checked out the Ram Promaster City and Nissan NV 200 and neither of them would give me the space I needed. The Metris had the room to fit the bike with a partition installed.

Features
With my choice narrowed down to the Metris, I started to look into the different features and visited a couple of different dealerships.I wanted the factory cargo partition to separate the cab area from the cargo area. I live in a big city and the partition helps secure (and hide) the bike and equipment in the cargo area. The partition also helps to cut odors and noise. Other features I wanted included side doors with tinted windows. The side doors make it so much easier to get to the cargo area and reach around the bike.

At the time of writing this I now have a couple of track seasons experience with the Metris. The side doors are really handy for different reasons, not so obvious reasons... my trackside pit setup includes a canopy, table, chair and other stuff. Typically I set-up the canopy behind the rear doors of the Metris. I do this for shade (a sun screen). This set-up blocks access using the rear doors, no biggie as I use the side doors to access the cargo area. I also typically camp in the cargo area with an air mattress. The side doors let me get and out, and if needed I can leave the side doors open for ventilation. One other benefit of the side doors that isn't the most obvious. Living in New York I wanted to meet the States non-commercial registration requirements. Side windows help with this as well as a “jumper seat” in the cargo area. Non commercial vehicles can use the parkways which makes getting around a lot easier.

Bike Hauling
To haul and secure the motorcycle, I installed a Pitbull Trailer Restraint System (TRS). One of the benefits of the TRS means I don’t need to strap down the bike and therefore I’m not putting pressure on the bike’s suspension or fork seals with torqued straps. The TRS can easily be dissembled when not in use, leaving the mounting plate on the floor. The TRS is a super secure way to haul a bike and relatively hassle free. Here are some informative video’s:

Sprinter Install
Pit Bull Motorcycle Trailer Restraints: How They Work

Mounting the TRS required four bolts that go through a metal plate (I drilled through the floor of the van to install). The plate is the bracket that secures the TRS brackets holding the motorcycle in place. The metal plate is probably about 1/8” to 1/4” thick, however there are four mushroom style washers that hold the mounting bolts. The mushroom washers/bolts protrude a little higher, but they aren't sharp and haven't caused an issue yet. All the other TRS parts slot in and out. I secure the bike through the rear wheel spindle and it's a very sturdy method for hauling bikes.

After installing the Pitbull TRS, I then laid-down a rubber matt to protect the floor. I also figure the matt will protect against liquid spills and tire marks. I brought a 4’ x 8’ matt and trimmed one edge around the Pitbull TRS. I did debate getting a larger piece of rubber vinyl and trimming to the floor shape but figured the 4’ x 8’ will do for now. What I liked about the product I brought is that it is relatively odorless:

Rifrano Waterproof Diamond Plate Rubber Flooring Rolls PVC Material

Loading the Bike
To get the bike in and out of the van I brought a Trackside ramp. I wanted a ramp a little wider (18”) versus the standard and narrower 11" width. The extra width provides a little more “piece of mind”. The ramp isn’t wide enough for me to walk-up next to the bike, I have a little step stall to help step into the cargo area and pushing in the bike (or rolling it out).

Trackside Heavy Duty Wide Aluminum Folding Ramp

It's good to note there is a little clearance space between the ramp lip that sits on the van floor, the ramp structure, and the rear bumper of the van. In other words, nothing touches. After a couple of practice sessions loading the bike into the van I realized I was stepping on the rear bumper sill. Me being me, to protect the rear bumper, I brought a rear bumper sill cover.

MERCEDES METRIS REAR BUMPER SILL COVER SILVER ANODIZED ALUMINIUM 2016-2018

As I mentioned, I brought a collapsible stool to help step-up into the van when pushing the bike on the ramp. I purchased the following:

Folding Step Stool

Other Paraphernalia
While at Home Depot buying the stool I also picked-up some storage crates to load gear and a Husky long tool bag that fits nicely under the partition recess.
Other paraphernalia I’ve been collecting include gas cans, folding chair and table, 10x10 canopy, camping stove and, well it’s endless and I’m utilizing the cargo space!

My Impressions
Gotta say I think the Metris is great! It serves my needs and is also very comfy to drive. It's car like with the added benefit of being high-up with good visibility. With the partition installed it’s very easy to quickly heat-up or cool down the driving cab area. I also get reasonable gas mileage from it, especially compared to other riders who use their pick-up trucks with a trailer in tow.

As the Metris isn't a full size van parking options are a lot easier for me in the big city.

Hopefully this provides some useful information. As mentioned at the outset of this piece, GoGoKawi and some others have written-up good articles about hauling motorcycles.

Photos of the set-up:

1. Pitbull TRS

2. 18" Ramp and step stall (and sill covering)

3. Crates and canopy

4. Loaded Cargo Area

Attachments

·
Registered
526 Posts
Thanks for all the super information -- how 'bout some shots of those bikes rolling fast?

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeh, some good action shots would be great! Here is an ok one from Palmer Motorsports...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Nice. Love the seat! My Org will be at Palmer this weekend, though I'll be hitting Summit Point. I just installed my TRS in the van, though it's removable. No more tie-downs, though the option is still there.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@gogoKawi I'm curious when you say the TRS is removable - did you install the base plate onto a surface you can pull in/out of the van rather than through the van floor?

·
Registered
98 Posts
@gogoKawi I'm curious when you say the TRS is removable - did you install the base plate onto a surface you can pull in/out of the van rather than through the van floor?
I now have L-track in the floor. I made a bracket for the TRS plate that clips into the L-track. Tried it out this weekend for the first time and it worked perfectly. Though I'm going to make another bracket that can hold two TRS plates for when I go back to hauling to motorcycles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice! I bought a 2020 Worker yesterday, planning to install the PB TRS for hauling my 1199 Panigale race bike. I've always hated pulling a trailer or hauling the bike and gear in the back of a truck, so I'm more than thrilled with the Metris.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I now have L-track in the floor. I made a bracket for the TRS plate that clips into the L-track. Tried it out this weekend for the first time and it worked perfectly. Though I'm going to make another bracket that can hold two TRS plates for when I go back to hauling to motorcycles.
That's a smart way to go... I like the idea of not drilling through the floor and having the option to completely remove the bracket.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice! I bought a 2020 Worker yesterday, planning to install the PB TRS for hauling my 1199 Panigale race bike. I've always hated pulling a trailer or hauling the bike and gear in the back of a truck, so I'm more than thrilled with the Metris.
Congrats on the purchase... also the 1199 Panigale is a nice bike. They will make an awesome couple!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wondering if dirt bike would fit into passenger metris, after removing two row of course. I'm talking about high, since length is same.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
271 Posts
46 inches (I have the liftgate but I imagine the barn doors should be the same).

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
271 Posts
That's right at the very back where the headliner drops down 2 inches for the passenger rear air condition duct to cross over. Height at the side doors is 48 inches and the ceiling height is 52 inches. The rear air does limit the floor width and height at the back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's bummer. If 48 inches ste across rear door makes 52 inches inside useless. I need 51 inches so I won't be able to pass rear entry then.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
271 Posts
As I understand, some people compress the front springs to lower the bike.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I’d imagine you could easily fit the bike in by leaning it a few degrees diagonally; That being said I know absolutely nothing about motorized bicycles.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Rony, as long as your ramp is short and that is not a problem for dirt bikes...you bars will be back/lower and then the rear comes up and you are already in...it works.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts