Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to add to an old thread, but that thread suggested I post a new one. So here it is. My 2013 TE 310R fits like a glove. My plastic guards just tap the rear perimeter, but no bruised knuckles and no step needed. I use a 6x6 post behind the front seats as a chock. My ramp I set on the floor and not the bumper, but sits to the side a couple of inches, so not to rest on the door latching rings. I guess if the bumper is used one could get a little more clearance but wasn't sure if I should use it for weight bearing. So, after a couple of years of wondering and spec'ing a Sprinter replacement that could do moto duty, pleased with the new Metris. Tomorrow I go offroad. :cool:

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
369 Posts
These are for sure great moto vans. I haul my 300 ktm most weekends and have hauled my BMW 1100s...which I can ride in the van. I camp in my van too if the wife isn't going to go, if she goes I tow the camper. I love this van!

I think I can get my 1200gs in there if I remove the wind screen. Which is what I'll probably do the next time I go from SC to Colorado,..I'm tired of squaring up my tires.

Where abouts do you ride dirty bikes?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I am riding in Santa Barbara. Not sure if my Multistrada would fit if I needed to transport it. Even after removing mirrors and carbon screen. My '06 Sport will fit nicely though.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I am riding in Santa Barbara. Not sure if my Multistrada would fit if I needed to transport it. Even after removing mirrors and carbon screen. My '06 Sport will fit nicely though.
Off topic, but are you still having shift issues with your 9G-tronic?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Off topic, but are you still having shift issues with your 9G-tronic?
No more shift issues. Seems to have smoothed or I'm more accustomed to it. I actually attribute one aspect to the position of the brake pedal as very close to the floor with a long throw. I did a test on a mountain decent. I cannot rest heel on the floor and pivot the foot on the pedal with its long throw. It is smooth if I lift the foot hit the brake.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
No more shift issues. Seems to have smoothed or I'm more accustomed to it. I actually attribute one aspect to the position of the brake pedal as very close to the floor with a long throw. I did a test on a mountain decent. I cannot rest heel on the floor and pivot the foot on the pedal with its long throw. It is smooth if I lift the foot hit the brake.
That's great. I am jealous of the 9 speed! How's your fuel economy?

·
Registered
20 Posts
These are for sure great moto vans. I haul my 300 ktm most weekends and have hauled my BMW 1100s...which I can ride in the van. I camp in my van too if the wife isn't going to go, if she goes I tow the camper. I love this van!

I think I can get my 1200gs in there if I remove the wind screen. Which is what I'll probably do the next time I go from SC to Colorado,..I'm tired of squaring up my tires.

Where abouts do you ride dirty bikes?
Do you have pics?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
That's great. I am jealous of the 9 speed! How's your fuel economy?
Averaging 21-22 with a good mix of in town and over a mountain pass a few times. I'm sure highway driving I could squeeze a little more. Waiting to have a clear bra installed before I drive the highway much. I did read one review that said milage is actually worse with the 9 speed over the 7, though is more compact and lighter.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Averaging 21-22 with a good mix of in town and over a mountain pass a few times. I'm sure highway driving I could squeeze a little more. Waiting to have a clear bra installed before I drive the highway much. I did read one review that said milage is actually worse with the 9 speed over the 7, though is more compact and lighter.
Wow, it's really a surprise the 9G would be less fuel efficient. I'm averaging 22.21 with a peak of 29.87 and a low of 17.45. Mainly very short city trips with longer weekend excursions. Somebody (@pounce I think) got me hooked on the FillUp app. I heading off to AZ next week and I am going to try to stay at 65 the whole way. I noticed a massive drop in MPG between 65 mph and 80 mph last summer in Utah, Wyoming and Montana.

Reactions: RocketVan

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
731 Posts
I was not aware either that the official estimate went from 7G making 21 city 24 highway 22 combined; to 9G needing 19 city 23 highway 21 combined.

That does not make sense, from the traditional benefit claims of having an extra gear or two, even if we are at the practical limit now. And, makes me wonder if the old estimate provided by MB was a bit optimistic and rounded up, and maybe now it is a touch more realistic?

Ethanol gas could be an element. No eco start/stop? But the van really rewards a careful foot and coasting down, and micro coasting ( foot off the gas as needed, then gently reaccelerating, taking advantage of hilly terrain, ... ). I handily beat the fuel economy in local highway driving and extended interstate driving, after the break in period, even with a pretty full van. I recall not being impressed the first few months, so if your van is brand new, give it some time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
We also use the Titan ramps double hauler rack. For the price its pretty good. The only con we have would be with the supplied hardware. It sucks bad. Max load is 800 pounds I believe.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Bicycle

I was going to add to an old thread, but that thread suggested I post a new one. So here it is. My 2013 TE 310R fits like a glove. My plastic guards just tap the rear perimeter, but no bruised knuckles and no step needed. I use a 6x6 post behind the front seats as a chock. My ramp I set on the floor and not the bumper, but sits to the side a couple of inches, so not to rest on the door latching rings. I guess if the bumper is used one could get a little more clearance but wasn't sure if I should use it for weight bearing. So, after a couple of years of wondering and spec'ing a Sprinter replacement that could do moto duty, pleased with the new Metris. Tomorrow I go offroad. :cool:

View attachment 20243

View attachment 20244

1 - 20 of 25 Posts