Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

Morimoto fxr3.0 bixenon projector retrofit

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Greenmanedlion 
#1 ·
Sooo i began this pain in the butt conversion. I dont like halogens and after having bixenon projectors on my other cars... i had to have it for my metris.
It is a really tight fit to install fxr, alot of cutting involved.. but finished driver side and now motivated to finish the passenger side.
Metris lights are permasealed! Like silicone and heating in oven doesnt make it much easier to open... thats the hardest part of this retrofit. Anyways fxr is amazing!
Fxr is dot approved, unlike drop in hid into halogen housing mods.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Did you just remove the whole reflector? Used the Gatling shroud? Ballast and igniter are all external to the housing? Looks like a lot of work. I have had parts and pieces to do my retro siting in my garage for quite some time, I just can’t decide how I want to handle DRL and turn signals. Looks great. Let’s see some night shot comparisons!

#6 ·
No, i cut the reflector then epoxyed projector to it. So i can still adjust externally. Its a really bad fit, smaller projector would have made it much easier.
Yes i attached ballast to the side of headlight assembly (not sure about pass side as it looks tighter). D2s so igniter just twist on to the back of bulb.
Hoping to be done tomorrow. And will take night pics!
Im also installing mass loaded vinyl in the cabin.

#10 ·
I can see me taking aim at your lights and shooting them if I was coming from the other direction.

have u ever owned a oem bixenon vehicle? Many cars have then, performance is similar and they do not blind oncoming drivers. Due to sharp cut off of the light. Properly aimed is key tho.
This was during my 3500miles trip w boat in tow, so i reaimed it before the trip fully loaded.
Projector is compliant w dot spec and has a step in the cut off. Left hand is lower than the right.
Threats to shoot cars? Ur an extremist! Scary we have people like yourself out there....

#11 ·
Installing projectors that are not certified by the manufacturer as designed for that vehicle is, unequivocally, not DOT approved.

As per DOT regulations, ALL non sealed-beam headlamp assemblies must be designed for the vehicle and approved for use in it by the OEM manufacturer.

Installing any non-halogen lamp in a car that came equipped with a halogen lamp is illegal, unless that car was available, from the OEM manufacturer, with another option, and that is provided you use the OEM part.

Enforcement of these regulations is practically non-existent, but they are in fact there, and what you are doing is, in fact, illegal. Bi-xenon lights are designed specifically for the vehicle they are installed in; it is tailored. Installing a non-tailored system means that you will dazzle and blind pedestrians and other road users.

Please don’t regale me with all this DOT-approved meshugaus. I can print a label that says dot approved and apply it to a bag of dog-food. That does not make it so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.