Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
341 - 360 of 365 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just asked my dealer for the part number for a 2018 passenger mirror and he gave me these two numbers:

4478111700 was what he found from a VIN for a passenger mirror without blind spot assistance. So, I assume that this is an aspherical mirror without the blind spot triangle.

For a VIN with power and blind spot he got two numbers: the aforementioned but also this number- 4478112800. He tells me this 2nd part number costs $122 but he was concerned about it since there was no description except "mirror". This is the same number listed in the Tech Topic that Robb posted much earlier in this thread.

The Vito mirror appears to be available from a few online vendors for around $80 so it might still be a more cost effective option if you can't get your dealer to change it for free.

https://parts.mbfm.com/p/Mercedes-Benz__/MIRROR-GLASS/67878357/4478110533.html

After reading through this thread again I find myself frustrated that MB is such a confused matrix of dealers who don't know what's going on and won't consistently give the customer a reasonable amount of support.

The other concern is Greenmanedlion's comments about the mirror not being so bad. New readers - keep in mind that he has modified his stock mirror with a stick on dome mirror! He's not hiding this but I don't want new (or old) owners of 2016 Metris vans just joining this thread to be confused about this. I would agree with the idea that 2 mirrors (one flat and one dome) would be ideal but I don't think we have a large enough mirror housing to support that reasonably like on a truck or Sprinter. But apparently it works for Green to put a 2" circular wide angle mirror on the left side of the [rather small] stock passenger side mirror. [Greenmanedlion, can you post a pic of your outfitted mirror?]

Further, my van is a windowless cargo model. This issue is greatly diminished if you have stinking windows in the back/side to look through! I've put almost 8k miles on this van in 2 months. I have blind spot assist and it's saved the day several times. But I just towed for 2000 miles and blind spot doesn't work in that case. When towing we are usually not passing but instead being passed, sometimes on all sides. I found it very challenging in urban highway areas with the stock mirror. As someone else in this thread stated, I think the severity of this issue depends on which version of the van you have as well as how you drive.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
426 Posts
I have a 2018 passenger van with aspherical mirrors and blind spot assist. Yes, I have side windows which I use when backing or going slow, but not when its full of dog crates (I keep a clear view for the inside mirror). When pulling the trailer, however, I always have trailer mirrors (Dometic towing mirrors which clamp on easily and securely). I have these tipped in to see next to the trailer and down the road behind it. Because of the width of the trailer, the Metris mirrors cannot see straight back, so I have them tipped out to widen the field of view and see traffic coming up along side the van. Take the time to adjust the ones on the right to cover as wide a field of view as possible.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I have a stick on mirror on both sides (I gotta remember to give you pics when I get good enough signal- I took them to approximate my view from the drivers seat).

I think the mirrors are perfectly big enough for stick ons. Especially since a logically set mirror shows a portion of your vehicle for comparison purposes. I placed them low and inside where they are not really hiding useful information.

I also wish to remind forum members that I have driven trucks a lot where all I was driving with was side mirrors with a flat and a spherical mirror- no rear side windows or rear view.

All you really need is a slight change in philosophy- be a bit patient and don’t change lanes until you are 100% sure you are clear. You learn that quick when you are driving a vehicle with 15-20 feet behind your seat. There’s almost exactly ten feet from my eye to the back of the bumper in the Metris.

This is a vehicle, like all largish vans, that requires you to be fully aware of every vehicle within 100 feet of you, and how they are interacting with you (changing lanes? Gaining on you? Pulling away? Dropping back? Keeping pace?). The mirror check should be your last action before moving to ensure that any relevant vehicles are where they are supposed to be in your mental map.

I mean a big vehicle is a bit more of a pain to drive. It requires more work and greater concentration.

My worst blind spot isn’t helped a bit by mirrors, by the way. A low, dark vehicle, on my passengers side, positioned so they’re slightly ahead of me, at night. It’s invisible to the mirrors (nothing can fix that), does not trigger blind spot assist, and is hard to see even if you look out the side window. The only way to deal with that is constantly updating your mental map; they don’t pop into existence in that blind spot; they enter the road, pull up from behind, or are pulled up to. You will never get perfect visibility in any vehicle (maybe excepting a Subaru SVX or Messcherschmit) and you need to use your head.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think the mirrors are perfectly big enough for stick ons. Especially since a logically set mirror shows a portion of your vehicle for comparison purposes. I placed them low and inside where they are not really hiding useful information.
This brings up a topic I haven't seen mentioned. I've driven vehicles of all size up to 24' box trucks. I used to look down my nose at other drivers who couldn't position their vehicle in the center of the lane. When I started driving this Metris I found that I was that driver. Looking out the windscreen I can position the van where I think it's centered in the lane but if I check my position with the side mirrors against the lane lines, I find that I'm hugging the left side. Optical illusion - but my significant other just 'drives' and is magically in the middle of the lane. Anyway, I do think that preserving the lower left side of the passenger mirror is useful for gauging lane position, both when driving and parking.

All you really need is a slight change in philosophy- be a bit patient and don’t change lanes until you are 100% sure you are clear.
I like the word 'patient'. But I honestly could not always reach 100% during this last trip with the tow vehicle. 75% a few times and I just went for it. Slowly. There were a few times when a vehicle came by my passenger window and totally surprised me. I didn't see them in the mirrors entering my blind spot and who knows how long they stayed there before emerging.

This is a vehicle, like all largish vans, that requires you to be fully aware of every vehicle within 100 feet of you, and how they are interacting with you (changing lanes? Gaining on you? Pulling away? Dropping back? Keeping pace?). The mirror check should be your last action before moving to ensure that any relevant vehicles are where they are supposed to be in your mental map.
I agree. But in an unfamiliar urban area, with weather and/or dusk/night conditions and a tow vehicle, I couldn't keep the mental map alive at every ramp. And I don't expect as much diligence from other people who may take the wheel in my van. For instance, once on this trip, while I was a passenger, I actually put the window down and stuck my head out to make sure it was clear.

My worst blind spot isn’t helped a bit by mirrors, by the way. A low, dark vehicle, on my passengers side, positioned so they’re slightly ahead of me, at night. It’s invisible to the mirrors (nothing can fix that), does not trigger blind spot assist, and is hard to see even if you look out the side window.
Interesting. Are you saying that their tail lights don't give them up when in that position? Sounds like one of those Italian cars that are so short they can cross over under a semi trailer.

btw, I do see value in keeping both mirrors "flat" for the sake of judging distances. And so, I'm considering the blindspot cameras idea. Since I have a rear view mirror that is basically useless, I might get a dual display strap-on rear view mirror unit and a couple cameras to mount under the existing side mirrors. Something like this. Under $100.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I sort of hate to say this, but I am not sure everyone understands how a side rear view mirror should be adjusted. I do have the 2018 mirrors.

Generally, the mirrors should be adjusted so you can see little (if any) of the side of your vehicle. I set mine so that with the slightest head lean I can see the vehicle side to confirm my orientation. Having so adjusted the mirror, I have little to no blind spot on either side.

Try it!

Reactions: tripletreat77

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
426 Posts
There have been a lot of comments about the side mirrors. I agree, they’re on the small side, and I attach extended mirrors to see behind the trailer when towing. That doesn’t help with the blind spot however, and that’s problem even with my passenger van when it’s crammed full of banana boxes for the food bank.
So, I added an inside convex mirror (~$10?) on a metal bar attached to a wooden plug in the dash cupholder, parked next to the drive-through at TacoBell (about 10’ over) and took some pictures from the driver’s seat of cars passing.
“A” shows a car approaching.
“B” shows it just about to enter the blind spot.
“C” shows it entering the blind spot mirror.
“D” shows it in the blind spot mirror when it can be seen neither in the side mirror or out the window.
“E” shows it in the blind spot with its front just leaving
“F” shows it coming into view in the side window.
“G” shows the back end leaving the blind spot.
“H” shows the car directly beside.
With the length of the passing car, portions of it are almost always seen in more than one mirror. Even with a narrow obstacle like a pole, it will always show in at least one mirror, which makes it great for backing around corners.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am the proud owner of a used 2016 that I bought recently, and it has ALL the options I would have taken if I had ordered a brand new one! Even the color.
I ordered the aspherical right side mirror and the local M-B dealership in Quebec City has graciously offered to absorb its cost after I mentionned the ongoing saga here.
So tomorrow I'm going to get it and replace it myself.

However, after going through this whole thread some time ago, I forgot to keep note of the way to remove the old mirror.
From what I see, the bezel has to come out first. But I haven't been able to get it to move.
OR, maybe the mirror can be pulled straight out without having to remove any of the housing parts!
Could someone please give me the trick to get it out?
Thanks !

·
Registered
4 Posts
That is disappointing to hear as I already ordered them. Oh well, I'll check it out when they arrive and make a decision before I attach them. Thanks for letting me know your experience with them.

341 - 360 of 365 Posts