Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like most owners of the cargo vans, I find the Grand Canyon sized blind spots to be a concern. I almost caused an accident last week due to the poor visibility. The mirrors are just inadequate.

I have come up with a solution. I decided to add a second set of mirrors above the existing ones. I looked for a while and found a mirror for a PWC on Amazon that fit my requirements. It looked OK, was convex, simple mounting, well made and affordable. May not be for everyone as it does look a little different, but the improvement is significant. They are big enough without being huge. I had issues with my link to Amazon, but I bought two black CIPA 11120 PWC Sport Mirrors.

I mounted them to the same pillar as the existing mirror. I drilled a hole from the backside for the mounting bolt about 5” above the top mirror mounting bolt. I placed a block of wood on the outside of the pillar as I drilled to ensure I did not damage the plastic mirror housing. Once through the metal and plastic, I used a 1” spade bit to make a 1” hole through the plastic to give the mirror a good mounting base and not squeeze the plastic too much. I then put a 1” x ¼” spacer, like a thick washer, to give the mirror a good base. Then just screwed the mirror in place.

I know it looks different, but function is more important to me than looks. I was really pleased how well the plastic molding of the new mirror matched the OEM mirror.

Gene

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mirror replacement

Mercedes sells rt passenger mirror A447 811 17 00 that largely eliminates blind spot on right. Burco also sells both rt and left mirrors 5731W and 5732W that are applied with adhesive dots and silicone caulk over existing mirrors that gives the same functionality. When applying Burco mirrors, use wooden shims gently around mirror to ensure the mirror is placed accurately over existing mirror and doesn’t drift out of line. Used small plastic fruit/vegetable box and 2 rubber bands to apply pressure until adhesive sets.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
276 Posts
I agree completely. Not so worried about the driver's side as I can shoulder check, but the passenger side is bad. I put a large convex mirror inside over the "A" pillar so it doesn't block any view. https://www.metrisforum.com/forum/107112-post349.html
Full coverage for those oblique pull outs or backing out in parking lots. No screws or glue.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mercedes sells rt passenger mirror A447 811 17 00 that largely eliminates blind spot on right. Burco also sells both rt and left mirrors 5731W and 5732W that are applied with adhesive dots and silicone caulk over existing mirrors that gives the same functionality. When applying Burco mirrors, use wooden shims gently around mirror to ensure the mirror is placed accurately over existing mirror and doesn’t drift out of line. Used small plastic fruit/vegetable box and 2 rubber bands to apply pressure until adhesive sets.
Agree with you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts