Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife had a guy hit her in an older vehicle and it hit the rear of the van .... right before the rear driver side wheel barely scraping the back wheel - the other Insurance company is accepting liability but the repair estimate is over $12,000 this seems like quite a bit of money to repair such a minor impact - the pictures are attached. Is this van that fragile? Also they are saying it is going to be over 4 weeks before the van is complete saying "We will be following Mercedes Benz repair instructions to replace the side panel. Mercedes Benz requires your Metris to be secured by specially designed fixtures that we will need to rent. These fixtures may be on back order just like parts can sometimes be on back order but we will know their ETA once ordered. Also, this repair is very labor intensive and Likely to take until late next month even without any part or fixture delays." Is this thing that much of a tin can?

Attachments

·
Registered
401 Posts
Thats wrinkled all the way up the side, the body is part of the critical crumple component of the safety of the vehicle.....probably about right in repair cost.

Its not a tin can, its actually quite strong in a crash, but due to the crumpling, to fix it properly is expensive.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,333 Posts
Is this van that fragile?
I think the other driver did some damage. That is a terrible spot to hit as you can see the door alignment and panel are messed up. Lucky that the insurance is covering it. Sorry if you are going to have to wait.

I don't think the van is fragile. It's not built to deflect impacts without damage.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
The van is designed to save your life by absorbing the crash energy of a major collision. It did it’s job; that’s why you thought it was a minor hit.

·
Registered
869 Posts
My wife had a guy hit her in an older vehicle and it hit the rear of the van .... right before the rear driver side wheel barely scraping the back wheel - the other Insurance company is accepting liability but the repair estimate is over $12,000 this seems like quite a bit of money to repair such a minor impact - the pictures are attached. Is this van that fragile? Also they are saying it is going to be over 4 weeks before the van is complete saying "We will be following Mercedes Benz repair instructions to replace the side panel. Mercedes Benz requires your Metris to be secured by specially designed fixtures that we will need to rent. These fixtures may be on back order just like parts can sometimes be on back order but we will know their ETA once ordered. Also, this repair is very labor intensive and Likely to take until late next month even without any part or fixture delays." Is this thing that much of a tin can?
It sounds like you have a fine repair shop -- even calling out the tools/jigs needed says they know what they are doing. The price is high because the impact is on or just aft of the C-pillar. You're looking at structural damage my friend. Thank somebody your wife is OK.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Good looking van, BTW

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you to all for your insight and help

You are all correct and thank you for taking the time to respond .. No one was hurt,,, and yes it is going to be expensive to repair the vehicle correctly I will keep you posted as to the final numbers and outcome

1 - 9 of 9 Posts