Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If this is from a high end conversion company, what's with the Kickstarter campaign?
Free media buzz? Testing the water? Easy way to reach a different class of customer? I certainly don't see it targeting the same audience as an ARV >$300K Sprinter conversion: https://advanced-rv.com/portfolio-item/runaway-superstealth-luxury-rv-for-sale/

btw: There's over three pages of discussion already on the Class B forum and the consensus is that they don't like it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If this is from a high end conversion company, what's with the Kickstarter campaign?
I agree. Very dishonest and unethical business practice to pretend it is a new idea (w/ a new name and all), without even mentioning the Marco Polo. And $55,000 for a conversion update (nowhere close to MP quality) is outrageous.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree. Very dishonest and unethical business practice to pretend it is a new idea (w/ a new name and all), without even mentioning the Marco Polo. And $55,000 for a conversion update (nowhere close to MP quality) is outrageous.
I like having more vendors in the space, but from a practical standpoint the layout will have issues. With up to 7 people and the back end galley their really isn't room for all the stuff you need if you are really going to camp or be on the road for any length of time.

I get that they want to test the market for building more, but there was another company called VanJet or Jetti that is doing something similar as well converting Metris vans for rental. They had a Facebook group and I contacted them when researching building my van. Their layout was much more Westfalia style which for the size and space is really the only way to go.

At 55K - I know there are others that can do better. I agree, I don't think this will get off the ground.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn’t see the 55k number, which siite is it on? Does that include a new passenger metris? If so it doesn’t seem too outrageous. I assume that would include SCA roof, SmartFloor & the rest of what’s in the pictures. If just for the conversion, then way too much!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Very interesting. Colejr, thanks for posting.
Hadn't seen that yet. But I don't think this is a great approach for a conversion. In Germany you find tons of rear furniture- kitchen camper conversion kits for all kind of models. People by them or build them by themselves from what is already out there. Like these here:
http://www.summermobil.de/summermobil-flexi.html
https://www.kauai-camper.de/

The Pop up roof and folding seats are the parts that are interesting for me, if the cost is much more decent then from the current conversion companies on the market.

But for me the rear kitchen camper is not working and I am going another route that is a mix between a Westfalia layout , that aloows to transform the van back to passenger van ,using removable pods. You can us ethe kicthen insid eor outside and they will swing out on side door if you like to cook outside . Thy will be mounted to the existing track system. Very much like Tonke
Reimo : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEyhukyGuRw#t=91.97115
and Space campers in Europe offer for the VW T6.

I think the Kick starter is a legit way to raise money and awareness for to develop a service or product, don't see much wrong there. Heck, may be I will be successful with my plans and go the same route to raise funds if if enough interest is there to offer conversion kits ;).. we shall see

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nice videos. Yes we need these here. And I will be interested in seeing what you end up doing.

I also am not sure about the rear kitchen, but also because there is very little other storage. I see lots of similarities to the Sportsmobile and Tourig TerraCamper. Same SCA roof, same SmartFloor brand aluminum flooring and rail system, both have quite high fold-out lower bed (same brand?) - with TerraCamper this allows massive rear storage and for MetriVan a large rear kitchen.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am not sure if the floor system is the same but the SCA is . They even list them on the bottom of the kick starter as one of the sources or "vendor/partners' . That said it seems like SCA (Meier her in USA) only sell certified companies, altho Meier doe snot produce the roof here in the US at all and the European SCA complete roof gets shipped over here to the US. Meier just manages the distribution portion of who gets them and trains on how to install.

As for the seats , I think the best scenario is to offer somethimg to folks that want a camper but not spending high $$ for adding new tracks and a sleeping bench to their current vehicles. I see this more as ad on item that can be removed and easy be stored when not needed. Same as the pods. The best case scenario would be that the original Vito folding seats are offered her ein the US , can fit in current metris floor sockets and allow for a bed platform to be extended to sleep 2. There are a bunch of good companies out in Europe that have developed simple and good looking systems that can easily be added to your van such as Vanessa http://www.vanessa-mobilcamping.de/Mercedes/Vito/schlafsystem-vito/schlafsystem-vito.html
or Ibilkom http://www.ibilkom.com/es/camper-1.
I was hoping the German Activity sleeping bench on the vito would work but then again to many modification using the European track system. if it would be a easy swap and the bench can fit in the US tracks would be awesome, not so much luck.

Therefore I am considering importing the German Vito Seats and see how that works. Two members here on the forum have done this successfully already and the seats fit without modifications into the existing tracks.

off to Germany and England to talk to some folks about pods and kits see if that will lead some where and hopefully I will be able to bring them over here.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I would love to buy a three person rear seat( with shoulder belts) that converts to a flat bed, that fits the existing passenger tracks. Someone figure it out, make it easy and less than $3000 and I'll buy it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not sure if the floor system is the same but the SCA is . They even list them on the bottom of the kick starter as one of the sources or "vendor/partners' .
Build pic looks like SmartFloor semicircular locking planks, but in any event tearing out the original passenger subfloor to install new subfloor and rails - expensive! It also means aluminum with no insulation at all under the vinyl floor. A solution using existing rails and subfloor would be great! I wish you luck and please let us know what you find.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts