Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have been lurking here for a while and am thankful for all of the insight on build outs.
I am an upfitter in Reno NV called BroVan. I didn't see a classified section so thought I would just put it out here.
I just built a weekender on a 2016 Passenger Metris. I installed the SCA 152 and two swivel seats. It is stock other than that. I have it listed on ebay and craigslist in Reno.

I am offering the SCA 152 poptop installation here in Reno, as a certified installer, if you want to put one on yours. I also do custom cabinets and build outs for any type vehicle to suit your needs. If someone was interested in fully converting this Metris, I offer that as well.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have a 135" wheelbase cargo. I've been advised that the SCA 152 is not usable on the long wheelbase model (9" longer, all between the wheels). What do you think? Thanks.

BTW, I don't know how others feel, but I know many folks do not like advertising on the forum. I agree as to the stupid robo-ads with a click-bait survey or some such. I think we should welcome offerings from Metris outfitters as they are likely excellent resources.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I don’t know, but it is possible (likely) that there is a different structure on the 135; i assume it requires an extra support; that might make it hard or impossible.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I don’t know, but it is possible (likely) that there is a different structure on the 135; i assume it requires an extra support; that might make it hard or impossible.
I'm really not sure about that. According to MB, the 9 inch wheelbase extension costs only 55# of payload capacity. And it is all between the wheels, specifically between the rear edge of the slider (C pillar?) back to the front of the rear wheel well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My distributor told me that the sca will not work on the extended wheel base Metris. He didn't say why, but he did say "for now". My guess is that the crash test is only good for the actual car that they tested and no variations. He is very particular about conforming to exact crash test guidelines. I think that is cool. The sca and the reinforcing frame have a very specific taper and curve that is made to fit exactly on the normal metris. I think this shape might be slightly different on the longer wheelbase.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My distributor told me that the sca will not work on the extended wheel base Metris. He didn't say why, but he did say "for now". My guess is that the crash test is only good for the actual car that they tested and no variations. He is very particular about conforming to exact crash test guidelines. I think that is cool. The sca and the reinforcing frame have a very specific taper and curve that is made to fit exactly on the normal metris. I think this shape might be slightly different on the longer wheelbase.
I did try to lookup you business Tom Sykes BroVan on the web, but it may be that you just started, I can't find anything about your shop, maybe I am doing something wrong in searching, well life :)I was just curious what you do and how does it look.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Baron,
I started up last year. I don't have a website yet but do have an instagram @brovanreno with a few pics of some projects in the shop. Thanks for looking.

-Tom

·
Registered
196 Posts
Baron,
I started up last year. I don't have a website yet but do have an instagram @brovanreno with a few pics of some projects in the shop. Thanks for looking.

-Tom
deez congratulation to start a needed business It would be nice to see some ideas of yours how to upffit a Metris cargo and what you actually do. If you have certification from Mercedes Benz to cut in roofs what else you do, what kind of windows you would install and how close you are to Volkswagen westa,(Wetphalia) or any small camper.like Volkswagen California T6 camper, do you install any furniture?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Baron,

I have a cabinet shop in my van shop. I offer full service upfitting. I am in the process of developing a "plug and play" galley pod that will clip into(and easily out of) the existing rails where the middle seats are. I have not built a full camper out of a cargo Metris yet. This one for sale is my first go at the Metris platform. I absolutely love it and believe that the Metris solves the "extra car problem" for a lot of people. Having a daily driver that can easily go camping is the direction I am taking this venture. The use of the passenger model is important to me because of the safety of having curtain airbags surrounding everyone. I should clarify that I don't have a certification from MB to install the SCA 152. I was trainer by the importer/distributor RRE Global, who requires the 2 day SCA training for those wishing to sell and install their tops. This is the same exact training that Sportsmobile, Tourig, Peace Vans and anyone else who offers the SCA. Mercedes has approved the installation process and the SCA 152 top with stiffening frame on the Metris. This mostly has to do with the success of the crash test that was performed on the top, on a Metris. I plan to crank out a few passenger models with tops each year for sale, but will also install a top on someone else's Metris if needed. I also offer SCA tops on Transits and Promasters.

-Tom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts