Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody .... The company I work for is recently been selected to present some upgrade ideas for the American market . We are focusing on the front fascia , Interior/Seating , and Wheels and tires .
I would be interested in hearing practical upgrade ideas that we can present . Some of these would be incorporated into a presentation for the Chicago auto show , and could end up as options in production vehicles soon .

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I'd offer conversions to put the exterior appearance of the V-Class onto the Metris. Not something I want, but I'd think there's a market. I would offer some kind of wider seats for the driver and passenger. I would look into captain's chairs. And the front seat adjustable head rest fits into the rear seats- offering them would be nice.

I wouldn't bother with leather. The MB-Tex vinyl looks so much like leather than one car reviewer not only thought it was leather, but mistook the Mercedes new car smell so much she thought it was not only leather, but, and I quote "Aromatic leather".

As for the wheels and tires- the wheels look fine. No need for an upgrade- large wheels on a vehicle with such small wheel openings would look goofy. But please, do something about the Hankook tires. They are absolutely awful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Stock wheels are ideal.
Body color exterior door handles would be nice.
I agree that the vinyl is fine, but I don't like black and I don't know if they could pull off decent looking tan vinyl.
I test drove a Metris filled with three adults and four kids and it was surprisingly noisy. The kind of fluttering, booming noise you get with rear windows down. I think it could use more sound deadening.
Of course, I would want all of this from the factory, not the aftermarket.
Other than the small gripes listed above, I thought it was great, and would choose it to replace our Odyssey. Generally better than I expected, especially the power, ride, and handling.

Jason

·
Registered
933 Posts
My thoughts are the stock aluminum wheels are horrid. I really like the base steelies. I'd like something to have a more offroad feel without looking cheap. I agree large wheels on this thing would be a bad idea. I understand they need a proper load rating as well...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far we are looking at :
* premium seat package - wider front with better bolster and lumbar , buckets/captains seats in rear w/a console ... all modular . Console may have refrigeration storage .
* Newly styled grill and mirrors ( much like the AMG Vito )
* Offering the Ipod docking and Better sound system

·
Registered
14 Posts
* captain chairs at 2nd row is a must with armrests and heated seat/lumber support.
* floor mat to cover the slot on the floor. Kids will staff candy bar in there.
* interior color of seat should be a choice to match with car color
* folding chair of 3rd row

·
Registered
6 Posts
MB stereo is typically lame (although I haven't checked out Metris unit but it looks like the same unit I dislike), rear buckets with armrests, Vito interior, Diesel and AWD (I know it's not your area). I think the exterior is great. Interior and drivetrain are week and available overseas so no excuse. And limited dealerships are a struggle (been there with Sprinter).

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
One should keep in mind the likely chip ability of this power train. In the A45 AMG, which is largely the same engine, it puts out 370bhp and 350lb-ft.

I find the stereo equal or better to the Bose in my '05 ML350.

·
Registered
933 Posts
One should keep in mind the likely chip ability of this power train. In the A45 AMG, which is largely the same engine, it puts out 370bhp and 350lb-ft..
The Metris has the m274 whereas the AMG 45 has the m133. I do want to know the limit of the m274 though. Many things are possible with a turbo...

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
The M133 is the code name for the AMG modified M270. And the M270 is the code for the transverse mount version of the M274. They share blocks, heads, bore, stroke, displacement (obviously) and basic breathing layout. I think the M133 has strengthened reciprocating parts, not sure.

I don't know if a stock M274 could be chipped all the way to 370bhp without greatly reducing its reliability and durability, but it could certainly be upped to 250 with just a chip. Not that I'm suggesting doing any such things- frankly 208 bhp and 258lb-ft make the Metris a pretty peppy scooter. I haven't really opened mine up much, but I slammed right against that 101 mph limiter. Based on how hard it hit it, I'd bet without the limiter it can do 125.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Exterior
1) New style front bumper with rocker moulding on the side. Something tasteful and improves aerodynamics (Not boy racer looking).
2)Rear lip spoiler, again, for aerodynamic reason. Something like the V-Class AMG package shown earlier this year.
3) Tow mirrors

Interior
1) 2nd row captain chair like the KIA Sedona. Well, at least the foot rest part. If you've never seen them click here http://www.edmunds.com/kia/sedona/2015/long-term-road-test/2015-kia-sedona-rear-seats-move-every-which-way-but-loose.html.
2) Reclining seats on all 3 rows.
3) Leather seating throughout.
4) Folding 3rd row seat. Not into the floor, just the seat back onto the seat bottom or whatever way is possible.
5) Better audio setup. (Head-end unit, speakers, iPod integration,)
6) Center console. (Be creative.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Offer a Van alarm and Optional cargo van 3rd person jump seat in back. Many Metris cargo vans on the dealer lot don't come with security alarms unless special ordered and a length wait before delivery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Many Metris cargo vans on the dealer lot don't come with security alarms unless special ordered and a length wait before delivery.
I don't understand MB on this matter: why not to make stuff like that standard equipment? It's standard for 99% of other cars!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts