Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, I have a 2016 metris cargo I use for work. Was looking to use it in a few weeks to tow my 3500lb boat. Can anyone give me some tips for using my metris for towing? Don't want to over stress my van and create problems down the road which is what makes me hesitate on using it for that reason. I know the tow hitch rides low which is why I am ordering a 2inch lift with my tow hitch before I use it. Will the lift cause a noticeable reduction in fuel economy? Thanks ahead of time for any tips or thoughts on my future plans for my Metris.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
The Metris is a commercial vehicle and it is designed to tow up to 5000 lbs so as long as you keep the combination of your boat and its trailer under That weight your van should not be stressed towing it. The lift should not affect much assuming that the boat is towing level. You didn’t mention two important things that you should make sure you have one is a weight distributing hitch, and the other is a trailer brake controller. Most Metris years do not support wired brake controllers so you need a wireless one.

With all that you should be good.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Double ditto on the brake controller. Anything 1,500# or over requires brakes (in California anyway).

Safety first Batman!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I toe about 3,500 lbs with an aftermarket hitch (Drawtite), wireless brake controller (ECHO), and remote backup camera. A special, more expensive, wiring harness was also needed. It works very well but, as you have noted, ground clearance is an issue. I hope, someday, too find an OEMA hitch to address the ground clearance problem.
Does the lift kit raise the back of the van or just the hitch?

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
289 Posts
The lift kit will raise the van, but when towing, as GML stated above, you need a weight distributing hitch to transfer the transfer the tongue weight of the trailer more to the front wheels. You should be able to adjust it so the van sits level rather than down at the back. That also keeps your headlights from blinding oncoming drivers.

·
Registered
401 Posts
No need to "find" an OEM hitch, you can order it brand new from the dealer. The worst part about aftermarket is that you don't get the proper stability program enabled when attaching a trailer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts