Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its starting to get cold in Colorado. I have noticed that my Metris takes forever to warm up. Have to drive for 15 minutes before I see any movement in the engine temp gauge. After about 20 it get to about the 1/4 from the bottom and heat is just lukewarm. Is this just me or are others having the same issue.
I seems like a stuck thermostat but I only have 4k on the metris.

·
Banned
2,516 Posts
That's weird. My car has the cold weather package and is warmish air within a minute of engine start at freezing. My car is warmed up totally by the time I get to the place I go for breakfast/coffee, about two miles/5 min from my house.

I know because my wife goes in to get the food, and I don't cut the engine until it hits at least 85c.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The later models of MB's that I have owned all surprised me with the fast heater response so I would agree that it seems like a thermostat problem.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Bring it in.

·
Registered
939 Posts
After 7 min, I hit the first line, 11min second line, 15 and I was almost at running temp. 28°f at start, 32 after driving.

It's close. I had heat after 4min, though. Cold weather package ftw!

Reactions: MOWO

·
Registered
271 Posts
How cold is it for these warm-up times?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Mine is in the shop right now.

14 minutes driveway warm up did not move the gauge to first line. 7 mile 10 minute commute got it to 60 C. Air in cabin still cold.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Mine is in the shop right now.

14 minutes driveway warm up did not move the gauge to first line. 7 mile 10 minute commute got it to 60 C. Air in cabin still cold.
Yea, seem a few members taking their Cold Weather Package for granted. Do chime back with what they say. I find my Cargo van is along the same line as yours.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yea, seem a few members taking their Cold Weather Package for granted. Do chime back with what they say. I find my Cargo van is along the same line as yours.

Since the defroster doesn't work cold, I am treating it like a Lemon Law safety issue and I put them on notice. This is second visit. They will get the van back if they can't handle this.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Wow, and to think when I was mulling over options, I thought the CWP was just some 'heated seats'. Fortunately, living in North Carolina, there's only 1-2 dozen really cold days that will make this package absence sorely missed. I can deal with that. The other costly option packages are appreciated year round!

·
Banned
2,516 Posts
The aux heater really should be standard in this country, American buyers are not ready for, nor understand, The European concept of everything being extra, with a low base price, cherry picked options, and ordering the car as you want it. Some essential options for buyers get overlooked as being more specialty than they are, and vice versa.

E.g the cold weather package is a must for any state that gets freezing temperatures regularly, whereas the enhanced a/c package is really a specialty item for hot state livery drivers.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Totally agree with you on that. Cold Weather packages used be along the lines of Extreme cold...which included a block heater and other sub zero survival features...now just decent cold-start heat is optional lol. Oh well, atleast for me weather calls for warmer temps toward the middle of the week.

I did a test earlier today where I held the gas pedal to stay around 1100-1200 rpm and the engine temp gauge rose much faster than idle.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I think mine is a defect. German engineers are in the valley, but surrounded by mountains and they are not going to design an engine that won't reach operating temperature in less than half and hour. That would be moronic.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think mine is a defect. German engineers are in the valley, but surrounded by mountains and they are not going to design an engine that won't reach operating temperature in less than half and hour. That would be moronic.
I think I have the same issue. This morning was 5 degrees F. and I was unable to defrost the front windshield and after 18 mile commute into Cambridge the cabin was barely warm. The temp gauge was just above 40 by the time I got to work (all together about an hour on the road) At no point did the ice on the windshield melt from the defroster.

Not a great way to start off the snow season in Boston.
:frown:

·
Registered
200 Posts
That sounds like a thermostat stuck open. My cars gauge goes up way faster than that.
MB service claims that with no codes or check engine light that can't be the problem.

I am going to set up a video camera on the gauges and let it run for 1/2 hour in the driveway and then send it back if they can't fix it.

I am not driving for 15 minutes with no defroster.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can run mine in the driveway for 60 minutes and it will not get over 40C.
mine is a cargo van. when i start to drive it it will go up to around 85C. if i get into traffic, it will drop to back to 40c. you can actually watch it drop. dealer has no idea whats wrong. we have a fleet of them here and all the same

·
Banned
2,516 Posts
There is no logical reason why it would be designed to do that- an engine is at its most efficient running at it's designed temperature. Catalytic converters, in particular, require high exhaust heat or the catalytic reaction does not take place- one of the reasons modern engines run much hotter than those of pre-emissions cars.

Theory- a bit of moisture got into an actuator for the thermostat valve causing it to either freeze or more likely rust in the wrong position. It could also be a computer programming error. Since I'm sure the emissions would be effected by this, there should be an error code.

Therefore, think of a problem that would cause both this AND the lack of an error code.

·
Registered
271 Posts
This is especially annoying for this to happen during the winter season.

Hopefully the culprit is found soon for you guys.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts