Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would prefer one over the front Driver's area but my Dealership advised against it due to cross bars and wiring looms. What would your opinion be Robb MeeX ?

·
Registered
939 Posts
I am absolutely opposed to it. I'm not sure what is over the driver's area, but I do know I've done enough water leak repairs to know I don't want a hole cut in my roof. I've also had to replace the mechanism a few times, and I've had to pull headliners to tighten the panoroof's frames. No sunroof for me thank you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am absolutely opposed to it. I'm not sure what is over the driver's area, but I do know I've done enough water leak repairs to know I don't want a hole cut in my roof. I've also had to replace the mechanism a few times, and I've had to pull headliners to tighten the panoroof's frames. No sunroof for me thank you.
For a camper conversion van, you have to have a vent or some form of airflow opening for breathing and condensation. Most people cut their roof and install a fan but I thought a proper sunroof would be more stealth and more stylish. The image I had in mind, the sunroof would be on the backside of the van, not over the driver's area like most cars.

·
Registered
483 Posts
For a camper conversion van, you have to have a vent or some form of airflow opening for breathing and condensation. Most people cut their roof and install a fan but I thought a proper sunroof would be more stealth and more stylish. The image I had in mind, the sunroof would be on the backside of the van, not over the driver's area like most cars.
A typical sunroof is MUCH more prone to leaking than RV-style ceiling fans. Most sunroofs 'seals' are only between the sliding/raising glass and some rubber.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're going to make me cry. I custom ordered my V class with many features including the Panoramic Sunroof, which happened to be the very thing the stupid plant didn't do.... :crying:
Wait. There is no V class in the U.S. How did you order it? Aren't you in South Carolina?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Robb, I have been lucky avoiding leaks with sunroofs in various vehicles as I was diligent about keeping drain lines clean and clear. For this Metris, I don't want to take a chance but still want a roof-mounted window to increase light in the interior. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Every car I've owned besides this one has had a sunroof. I've had manual, power, metal, and moon style roofs. And they are a pain. They heat up the interior, leak, and usually take up valuable head room. They eventually break. And the fact of the matter is, they are like the convertible concept they are intended to emulate:

It's a cool idea. You will use your sunroof here, there, and yonder. Mostly at first. And then you stop because the idea of windblown hair and papers flying around your car, and bird droppings on your head gets old fast.

Light in your interior is best provided by lights. Panoramic sunroofs heat up your car like nobodies business; there's a reason railroad dome cars went the way of the dodo.

Further, factory sunroofs are built and tested to Mercedes standards and built to take into account the few structural parts of the roof; the roof sheetmetal is not structural, but those beams are. Robb says the factory pano roofs are more trouble than their worth. Aftermarket ones ain't gonna be better!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Every car I've owned besides this one has had a sunroof. I've had manual, power, metal, and moon style roofs. And they are a pain. They heat up the interior, leak, and usually take up valuable head room. They eventually break. And the fact of the matter is, they are like the convertible concept they are intended to emulate:

It's a cool idea. You will use your sunroof here, there, and yonder. Mostly at first. And then you stop because the idea of windblown hair and papers flying around your car, and bird droppings on your head gets old fast.

Light in your interior is best provided by lights. Panoramic sunroofs heat up your car like nobodies business; there's a reason railroad dome cars went the way of the dodo.

Further, factory sunroofs are built and tested to Mercedes standards and built to take into account the few structural parts of the roof; the roof sheetmetal is not structural, but those beams are. Robb says the factory pano roofs are more trouble than their worth. Aftermarket ones ain't gonna be better!
In my SUV I had various settings (tilt, open at various lengths, full) for my factory installed sunroof, which came with a slider (beneath the tinted sunroof) that matched the rest of the roof material (protected you from the sun and didn't take extra space). Papers don't fly around if you just tilt it (no different than a slightly raised dometic fantastic roof fan) and it doesn't really have to be panoramic; it could be shorter/smaller like in early 2000s. Seems like Webasto is doing sunroofs. Anyone tried it?

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm a Mexican Citizen, so I orderd in Mexico and drove it up to SC ;)
And I'll expect to see YOU at the Metris Owners of the Carolinas (MOC) Meet-up event. :grin:

·
Registered
248 Posts
And I'll expect to see YOU at the Metris Owners of the Carolinas (MOC) Meet-up event. :grin:

Sure, just lemme know when and where!

Let us know if there are Marco Polo parts in Mercedes Mexico. That'd be easier than flying to UK or Germany and bringing stuff back here.
Unfortunately no, they are not offering the Marco Polo (or its parts) in Mexico :(

·
Registered
111 Posts
There is a space in the roof apparently designed to accommodate a sun roof.

I tried to add a picture but for some reason it does not upload.....
Hi RansomeRidge, woill you be able to add a photo or could you describe location where the sunroof would go?

Wonder if anybody on this forum had success yet installing a sunroof in a metris.

I can't find anything online. Only on a german Vito forum where somebody considered a Webasco Holandia 300 sunroof but the company let him know it will not fit after all.
https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/v-klasse-w447-glasdach-nachruesten-t5495548.html

·
Registered
81 Posts
As I explained in one of my earlier post I decided a different route and installed a Bomar vent hatch instead of a fan. I've have had lots of experience with these hatches in boats i've owned so know their integrity and water tightness. Much higher quality product than any fan out there. Careful planning and sealing with high quality butyl tape makes for a watertight installation. I found this hatch online with the same 14" footprint as a Fantastic Fan just in case I wanted to install a fan in the future. The Bomar unit, with white acrylic panel, is low profile so it's not noticeable when closed however you can drive with the lid raised at different opening heights. After a year in use I love this vent hatch and will never install a fan in its place. My only regret is that I didn't install a larger size to begin with so I could stand and look out or take photos. Attached photos show location of my installation as well as the two other optional locations between structural supports. There are too many obstacles to install over driver/passenger area.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts