Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Metris is used for commercial purposes and I carry $3,241 worth of tools (at least that is how much it cost me to replace my stuff when it got stolen nine years ago). That was my own fault and dumb bad luck - I forgot to lock up after I got home. I was using a Dodge Caravan then and I put serious locks on the doors. Upgraded to another Caravan a few years later and put in a security system with shock sensor. Woke the neighbors a couple of times with a branch dropping from a tree and a wiring fault, but never had an attempted breakin as far as I know. I had a flashing red LED on the dash.

Now with the Metris I am parking in the garage and my wife is on the street (her car -- you know what I mean). I'm used to being the one outside. I had a cover made for the old Caravan to protect against the winter weather and I am going to do the same for the Metris but the reason I'm in the garage is security. A security system was one of the few things that I wanted that didn't come on the unit I could get. (The parking place for the van is next to the garage, somewhat protected but visible from the street.)

As I see it, the purpose of a vehicle security system is to prevent an attempted breakin. It's too late when someone has broken a window or jimmied a door, by then the damage is done, limited, maybe, but worth several hundred to repair.

So the question is: What is the best way to convince a potential thief that it isn't worth their effort to try?

My ideas so far:

Yeah, I know -- lock the doors...

Flashing LED. Could that really be all it takes?

Dashcams looking out the windows. I can't come up with a good place to mount them so they aren't in the way.

Slick-Lock padlocks. Seriously effective. Seriously tedious every morning and evening.

NRA sticker. I have a client who has these on the doors to his house and garage. Don't know if he could back them up if needed.

Exterior surveillance system. Good for home, but can't take it with me. Have to make the cameras obvious as well.

Right now I'm leaning toward the exterior surveillance with a vehicle security system. I also want to get remote start, but it seems that MB changed the wiring so the folks at MidCity haven't been able to make one that works. But the surveillance is another thousand, the security and remote start, a thousand. Jeez, a thousand here, a thousand there and it starts to add up. I should just go out and get another set of tools.

Thoughts? Experiences? (I am very fortunate to live in a low crime area but a red Metris kinda stands out.)

·
Banned
2,517 Posts
Get disk locks for the rear doors and a good cargo partition. You can't steal a Mercedes without towing it or having the key. All you have to prevent is access to the bay.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Get disk locks for the rear doors and a good cargo partition. You can't steal a Mercedes without towing it or having the key. All you have to prevent is access to the bay.
We've had a couple (S-class) stolen, but that was gunpoint. :grin:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Totally recommend slicklocks. I have them and carry more than my share of gear that i'd rather not have stolen. Right now, they're still developing the drivers side sliding door plate but i'm told it should be within 2 weeks. the passenger and rear ones work great and I don't find them tedious at all.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, Brian, for your comment. What do you do with the locks once you remove them? I would cycle them every day, how often do you do that? Do you do anything special with the cab doors?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GreenManedLion, thank you for the comment. The disk locks seem like the best option and I can understand how they provide a good deterrence as well. Have you ever had a breakin attempt?

·
Banned
2,517 Posts
I've never used them. My cars a pax and all I have in it is some cleaning supplies and an ancient Oreck. I,be never had a break in attempt in either of my market trucks (a $1500 Econoline and a big Isuzu box truck) and I insist that the finest break in deterrent is using a $1500 truck.

But other market people I knew used them, swore by them, and insisted their only problem was removing them once the thief failed to actually open it. These people were guarding sometimes six figures worth of merchandise. If it works for them...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thank you, Brian, for your comment. What do you do with the locks once you remove them? I would cycle them every day, how often do you do that? Do you do anything special with the cab doors?
I have a place inside the cargo area where they sort of live when I remove them. Not a big deal. Cycle them? not sure what you mean....nothing special with the cab doors. I have a bulkhead so they can't get in the back even if they do get in the cab. (well - they won't be able to when the 3rd/final slick lock finally arrives...)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brian: by 'cycle' I meant remove/replace.

How difficult is it to jimmy the side doors? Can someone actually force those doors? Or the back doors for that matter. I presume that the primary benefit of the SlickLocks is to prevent opening the doors once the front window is broken and the unlock button is pressed. How easy is it to get a slim-jim in to pop the lock button?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts