Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Metris window van a couple months ago. I took out the seats and built a bed frame out of pine and oak. I bought a Latex Mattress from Sleep EZ in Arizona and put it in. My wife and I left Ohio on the day after labor day and went on a road trip around the southwest. Over the next two and a half weeks we rolled up almost 6000 miles. We slept in the van and stayed in out of the way vintage motels all over AZ, NM and CO. The Metris was great fun to drive and, start to finish, averaged 25.9 MPG. On mountain roads the handling was great!!!! When we were young, (40 years ago), we did the same type of trips many times with a VW Beatle, camping everywhere. I love the Metris and will keep it forever.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, as of yet I have not installed a roof vent. I leave the front windows down an inch and cover them with pieces of window screen held in place with super strong neodymium magnets. If I can find a quality made roof vent I may install one. I will be making a bunch of mods to make the Metris a better camping vehicle.

·
Registered
200 Posts
No, as of yet I have not installed a roof vent. I leave the front windows down an inch and cover them with pieces of window screen held in place with super strong neodymium magnets. If I can find a quality made roof vent I may install one. I will be making a bunch of mods to make the Metris a better camping vehicle.

Aren't those rare earth magnets incredible?

Amazing.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I bought a Latex Mattress from Sleep EZ in Arizona and put it in.
Why a latex mattress, just curious? I plan to use my MC for a work/weekend sleeper and gathering ideas for a bedding system that can be put in on the weekends.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Why a latex mattress, just curious? I plan to use my MC for a work/weekend sleeper and gathering ideas for a bedding system that can be put in on the weekends.
If you're of the "simpler is better" mindset a thermarest is perfect.
http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/category

I use a ProLite and it rolls up into a coffee can size bag in a couple minutes clearing the van floor for everything else. Course if you travel with a significant other this may not be the ideal solution :eek:

cheers,
parsi

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought my Metris window van a couple months ago. I took out the seats and built a bed frame out of pine and oak. I bought a Latex Mattress from Sleep EZ in Arizona and put it in. My wife and I left Ohio on the day after labor day and went on a road trip around the southwest. Over the next two and a half weeks we rolled up almost 6000 miles. We slept in the van and stayed in out of the way vintage motels all over AZ, NM and CO. The Metris was great fun to drive and, start to finish, averaged 25.9 MPG. On mountain roads the handling was great!!!! When we were young, (40 years ago), we did the same type of trips many times with a VW Beatle, camping everywhere. I love the Metris and will keep it forever.
Just wondered how you blocked out the windows when you were on the trip and sleeping at night?????

1 - 7 of 7 Posts