Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this. And it is possible that this subject has been talked before. But I could not find any.

It seems Matris is a perfect size for an old man who wants to travel. When I retire, I plan to visit many national parks.

For day to day, I want to use Metris for four passengers. But for travel, I want to remove 2nd and 3rd row seats. And add a simple bed and small sink.

From what I gather, Metris is a nice car to drive with decent MPG. Is there any reports on its reliability? When I retire, I would not be able to pay for lot of repair bills.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
It's a Mercedes, and one with relatively proven mechanicals. Outright Breakdowns per se are a bizarre event, even on a 15 year old car with stellar mileages.

Repairs are a different matter, extended warranty strongly suggested. Little niggling things will go wrong from time to time, although the car will pull into the dealer for repair under its own power. Out of warranty, those little niggling things cost good money.

Maintenance is also costly. What makes a Benz great is that you can maintain and repair it forever.

The Metris is just like any other Benz this way, although electrically less complicated.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Too new for overall reliability scores. Keep looking at all the threads. Some minor issues have popped up, but nothing being under warranty cannot fix.

Reactions: pchyu

·
Registered
939 Posts
I suggest your big repairs will be engine/trans, which are already proven on other platforms.
Electricals are possibly a different thought, but most of those also numbering upward of 100k in other platforms.
All in all, can suggest this van for touring to many many national parks. Do buy the extended warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plan to use only ~10K miles per year. Do you think Extended Warranty is necessary? I have been buying new cars and I have not used the extended warranty benefit once.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Depends on your wallet, your luck with car repairs and how long you plan to keep it. Mercedes is more pricier to repair in general so that is something that or may not bury you.

Reactions: pchyu

·
Registered
939 Posts
10k a year... for how many years? It covers a lot of things.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Regular and preventitve maintenance, using the correct fluids, not abusing the vehicle and a touch of luck should make for a lasting relationship. If there are 15 year old Hyundais on the road I'm sure the Metris will outlast them.

Reactions: pchyu and RobbMeeX
1 - 9 of 9 Posts