Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've owned the ML before and have loved it as a personal SUV and I am currently considering buying the Viano (which is what the Metris is called this side of the Atlantic) for a small transport related business. Basically, the van will be doing daily 500km trips and I need to transport 4-5 people each way. I was looking at a 2013 Odyssey till I came across a 2013 Viano. I know this forum is for the 2016+ Metris but any input regarding this would be appreciated. The Viano is fully loaded (Avant-garde option as they call it here) and has 100k kms or around 65k miles on it. It has 3.5 V6 Petrol engine. It is single owner and has been maintained at the dealer with no prior issues. Just regular servicing and a battery change. It was mostly used for picking and dropping the kids to the school and back.

So, the reason I am looking for an owner's perspective is that I am leaning towards buying the Viano for this job and I wanted to see what you guys recommend or not. I called up a mechanic I know to see his views (because in the region where I live they have Viano as taxi cabs so I thought he might have an insight) according to him it's a decent car but 1) the parts are really expensive and 2) to replace the smallest thing you have to open up the whole car because of the layout under the hood, in his words 'if a repair will take a day to replace let's say radiator or condenser on a regular minivan..it takes 5 days on the Viano.

My main concern is with the customers, I do not want them to be stranded by the highway due to regular breakdowns and of course time and money spent on the fixes. I am in a gulf country so it does get pretty hot, so if there are any a/c issues etc I would love to know that too. And your general view regarding Viano/Odyssey? or your personal gut feeling on this?

I would really appreciate your input. Thank you

·
Registered
209 Posts
Viano is much larger than the Vito which is what the Metris is in the States, I have driven both in Germany

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think your mechanic answered your question.
'the parts are really expensive and 2) to replace the smallest thing you have to open up the whole car because of the layout under the hood, in his words 'if a repair will take a day to replace let's say radiator or condenser on a regular minivan..it takes 5 days on the Viano'.
If there is a way to get the MB ELW, I would definitely consider it.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
A Viano is a Vito with a fancier interior. The predecessor and successor to the Viano is the V-class, for reasons known only to the dolts in product marketing.

The Viano (and contemporary Vito), while looking similar, is a very different animal to the W447; I suggest finding a forum actually familiar with it.

A Mercedes will be expensive to repair, and I have heard some people complain about the workability of the Viano in particular. But like I said, consult somebody who knows them; I’ve never even seen one.

Btw: a four cylinder (preferably a diesel) would likely be a lot easier to work on than MBs notoriously huge 90 degree V6 jammed into the same space.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the input. I've been speaking to some other local mechanics as well and they've said similar things. The van is uber spacious and I really like it from a customer satisfaction perspective. My only contention was that I didn't want it to cause on going problems or things that are difficult to diagnose. Obviously with all things mechanical, breakdowns are inevitable but I just wanted to ensure whether this one has issues that are more prominent are recurrent than the rest. The one mechanic I spoke to said that it's a good and reliable bet and the only issues he has dealt with are mostly related to a/c evaporator
the replacement of which is a 10hour chargeable job. Otherwise he said it is pretty sound. I will get it looked at by my local mercedes indy shop and see where this goes.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Providing the indy is caught up to date with regards to the technical aspects of the Metris. My indy hasn't worked on one yet. Depends on the market and how many are around.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 2016 Mercedes Metris Cargo van. I was wondering if anyone else has been experiencing the same problem as me. I've noticed that the hinge bolts at the rear doors are rusting. I've also experienced ice build up on inside of the rubber pocket that hides the door stabilizer bar. The stabilizer is also rusting. Mercedes told me they will replace the bolts, but I feel this a design issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts