Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing a Metris as an Urban Escape Vehicle. There will only be me and my wife, and lots of toys in the back. We want a very comfortable front section and lots of room in the back. The Metris seams like the perfect vehicle but there is very little info and almost no help from dealers.

1. We are considering a low mileage (<1000 miles) 2016 Passenger or ordering a new 2018. Are there any differences between the 2016 and 2018 that should influence our decision beyond price (i.e. mechanical improvements...).

2. We were looking at the cargo version but need 2nd row windows. According to the ordering guidlines you have to have a bulkhead (makes no sense to me). Is this correct?

3. We also wanted a back window on a lift gate but not sure that is available on a Cargo?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
435 Posts
Consider the Worker Passenger version if you are buying new. You can get a liftgate. From what I can tell it is not possible to get a liftgate on a cargo.

The document in this thread will probably help you a lot if you order a new van.

http://www.metrisforum.com/forum/209-purchasing-ordering/6810-2018-metris-dealer-ordering-guide.html

Adding aftermarket windows to the 2nd row isn't all that difficult. You may actually prefer the aftermarket options to the OEM windows.

2018 the rear view camera is standard.

·
Registered
191 Posts
2. We were looking at the cargo version but need 2nd row windows. According to the ordering guidlines you have to have a bulkhead (makes no sense to me). Is this correct?
It doesn't make sense to me either but I checked and they were in fact unable to order the side window without the bulkhead.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You absolutely want to study that Dealer Ordering Guide. We just ordered a 2018 Passenger Van, also for use to haul toys, not people. Didn't go with the Cargo because we wanted full glass. If as you say you want a very comfortable front section, then be sure to order the comfort seat SB1 and SB2 upgrades, which (if I read the guide correctly) is not an option with the worker versions.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
435 Posts
You can definitely get a lift gate on a non-Worker cargo van, with or without a window.

You are right. The option appears to be W65. I missed it because it calls the liftgate a "flip-up tailgate" which is inconsistent terminology in the guide.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the quick responses. Because of the headaches with the Cargo, we are going in the direction of the Passenger. We are considering a Passenger with almost all of the options. Are there differences between a similarly equiped 2016 vs. 2018 we should consider? We have found 2016 low mileage loaner Passenger vans for sale which meet our needs but will purchase a 2018 if it is a better vehicle. Thanks!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Are there differences between a similarly equiped 2016 vs. 2018 we should consider? We have found 2016 low mileage loaner Passenger vans for sale which meet our needs but will purchase a 2018 if it is a better vehicle. Thanks!
Equipped with the same options I believe they're virtually identical. The 2016 has a different side mirror. You can replace it with the new one for under $100.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mark,
were you able to get the sliding door windows with out the bulkhead? Was the bulkhead removed, if so was it hard to remove the bulkhead and did it affect the seat position. I understand the bulkhead requires a different seat base.

Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mark,
were you able to get the sliding door windows with out the bulkhead? Was the bulkhead removed, if so was it hard to remove the bulkhead and did it affect the seat position. I understand the bulkhead requires a different seat base.

Thanks
Mine came with the bulkhead. I wanted it. Got the one with the window so I could get the rear mirror OEM.

I have indeed removed the bulkhead to do some work. It is super easy to remove.

I would believe the seat base is different but the seats appear to attach the same. Removing the bulkhead does NOT affect the seats in any way. In fact, the bulkhead does restrict the rear slide of the seats but I'm < 2M tall so it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I recently ordered a 2018 cargo. It's worth mentioning that the '18 has a longer wheelbase option.
Did you order with the dealer? The website doesn't show the the LWB version.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah I ordered with the dealer. It's not on the website yet, not sure when it will be. But it is in the 2018 ordering guide which I found on the forum. Wheelbase goes from 126 to 135.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I considered going long wheelbase when I ordered my '18, but stayed with a 126. I see Vito in the UK comes in 3 versions.... 126 compact 126 long, and 135 extra long.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
276 Posts
It's been on the Canadian website for some time mercedes-benz-vans.ca/en/special-offers/metris:cargo,passenger

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
276 Posts
Transport Canada says new cars and small trucks will have to be equipped with rear-view camera systems starting in May 2018.
The requirement for back-up visibility brings Canadian standards in line with those in the United States.
The new requirement applies to new light vehicles, including passenger cars, light trucks, three-wheelers and small vans and buses.
The United States made a similar announcement in 2014, with a 2018 deadline for compliance.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Transport Canada says new cars and small trucks will have to be equipped with rear-view camera systems starting in May 2018.
The requirement for back-up visibility brings Canadian standards in line with those in the United States.
The new requirement applies to new light vehicles, including passenger cars, light trucks, three-wheelers and small vans and buses.
The United States made a similar announcement in 2014, with a 2018 deadline for compliance.
I'm finally noticing it in some other threads.... I'm just a little slow!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts