Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my quest to stand up in my van, short of a pop top, I checked with Mike at GTRV to see if they would manufacture a Sportsmobile "Penthouse" type top for the Metris and base if off the pop top GTRV is now manufacturing themselves. Mike called it a T top and he doesn't think there is any demand for that.

Is anyone else out there interested in this type of top? :smile:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I like the idea of a 'penthouse'-style T-top. I like the way these look on the van as well.
However, I assume there are reasons why the angled pop-top is the VW standard.

An open T-top roof doesn't shed rain as well, since it's flat, not tilted. Thus the tent walls have to be indented under the "eaves" on both sides, making it a little narrower than the roof hole.
(You can see this on the Sportsmobile standard van version, "penthouse-top" page on their site. )
So a bunk bed up there might have to be narrower.

Also, I'd wonder if a T-top would be more difficult to raise, since it's straight up rather than hinged up.

Would there be a difference in what loads could be put on any roof rack added on top?

However, if all other factors are equal, I do like the looks of the T-Top.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would love a "T-Top".... I forget where/who does then.. I assumed that their "custom" tops would do it. But Custom was 15000.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've had a 2004 Sportsmobile Penthouse top on a Ford van conversion and I now have GTRV's 2016 pop-up on my Metris conversion, which is the Euro version pop-up that Mike was installing originally. I can confirm that the Penthouse top is much more difficult to push up than the GTRV. Also, as mentioned, the roof cut-out for the Penthouse is much narrower that you would think and has a cramped feel.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Metrispopup,
I have aEuro GTRV popup also. So far I am pleased with the space and ventilation it provides.
However, I find the strap type roof tie downs somewhat cumbersome.
I wonder if anyone has figured out some kind of clamp instead?

·
Registered
4 Posts
In my quest to stand up in my van, short of a pop top, I checked with Mike at GTRV to see if they would manufacture a Sportsmobile "Penthouse" type top for the Metris and base if off the pop top GTRV is now manufacturing themselves. Mike called it a T top and he doesn't think there is any demand for that.

Is anyone else out there interested in this type of top? ?
definitely interested in something like that. Colorado Campervans says it it on their "road map"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts