Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all-
I got my Metris Passenger in November. I'm looking to use it for hauling buddies (got all 8 seats), going skiing/biking, hauling lumber/building materials, and camping. Al of this is possible with the Metris which is awesome, but not if any of the setups become permanent. So, I've been working on a temporary camping buildout with the following criteria:
Easy to assmble
Easy to dismantle
Capable to be assembled repeatedly without damage
All parts easy to move by one person
Stores in a small space in the garage when not in use
Comfortable to camp in (comfortable to sleep and plenty of storage) for a week long trip

So I set about designing this thing in earnest in early January and wanted to post some photos and hear some thoughts. I'm using 3/4" Baltic Birch Plywood for the base, 1/2" Baltic Birch Plywood for the bed platform. So far I've got the base built and it's going nicely. I have the bed height at 18" off the floor, with the area under the bed separated into 4 equal areas, where I will store boxes of gear, food, clothes, etc. The sections closer to the tailgate will likely be drawers that will pull out when the liftgate is up. The bed is full size, and I have a 6" foam mattress on the way. I'm using threaded bolts to secure everything, and threading them into threaded metal insets, which go into the lumber so I'm not threading into wood repeatedly. So far every piece is detachable, nothing is permanently attached.

Let me know what you think! I should have the platform on shortly, which will hinge near the seats to allow access to the storage below.

MTB

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
so it's going to be a weekender I presume ? No furniture, only bed and boxes for storage, I can't tell if you have used Baltic birch 3/4 - 9 ply or a plywood 3 ply+ birch veneer from home depot? I found working on my poor man's Marco Polo that Baltic birch is the best it does not have a hollow spots it can be cut and sanded with out filers.. Is the mattress going to be in one piece ? Or Are you going to make a seat out of the bed? Looking forward to see more photos... good luck.

·
Premier Upfits Co. Metrisseats.com
61 Posts
Hi all-
I got my Metris Passenger in November. I'm looking to use it for hauling buddies (got all 8 seats), going skiing/biking, hauling lumber/building materials, and camping. Al of this is possible with the Metris which is awesome, but not if any of the setups become permanent. So, I've been working on a temporary camping buildout with the following criteria:
Easy to assmble
Easy to dismantle
Capable to be assembled repeatedly without damage
All parts easy to move by one person
Stores in a small space in the garage when not in use
Comfortable to camp in (comfortable to sleep and plenty of storage) for a week long trip

So I set about designing this thing in earnest in early January and wanted to post some photos and hear some thoughts. I'm using 3/4" Baltic Birch Plywood for the base, 1/2" Baltic Birch Plywood for the bed platform. So far I've got the base built and it's going nicely. I have the bed height at 18" off the floor, with the area under the bed separated into 4 equal areas, where I will store boxes of gear, food, clothes, etc. The sections closer to the tailgate will likely be drawers that will pull out when the liftgate is up. The bed is full size, and I have a 6" foam mattress on the way. I'm using threaded bolts to secure everything, and threading them into threaded metal insets, which go into the lumber so I'm not threading into wood repeatedly. So far every piece is detachable, nothing is permanently attached.

Let me know what you think! I should have the platform on shortly, which will hinge near the seats to allow access to the storage below.

MTB
Or you can install Euro seats that can recline or fold flat from metrisseats.com and just lay a platform with an inflatable mattress on top of these seats. ask for Surinder on 951 403 1797

1 - 4 of 4 Posts