Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure there are others, but this was the first one I came across... www.pelicanparts.com . They have filters, wipers, plugs, etc. I saw where someone was looking for a source for wiper blades...they have them along with other consumables. Hope this helps someone.

Which brings up another question...any interest in starting a FAQ section with parts sources, parts cross references, How To's and the like? Or is this more of a social forum?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Absolutely would like see a section covering parts and diy. I have found parts on the following sites but had to search by part numbers as their Metris listings are lagging:

autohausaz.com
rmeuroparts.com
fcpgroton.com

·
Registered
196 Posts
I am sure there are others, but this was the first one I came across... www.pelicanparts.com . They have filters, wipers, plugs, etc. I saw where someone was looking for a source for wiper blades...they have them along with other consumables. Hope this helps someone.

Which brings up another question...any interest in starting a FAQ section with parts sources, parts cross references, How To's and the like? Or is this more of a social forum?
I would be realy realy nice, if on this forum would be a source page, a page, where all members could place links for Metris parts namely part that I/we needed in converting Metris "worker/van" to a camper, with a place, where to buy in USA for instance windows, wall paneling, backup camera, seat swivels, solar panel, but also where to get different accessories hardware to build your furniture, table, etc I believe that most that are using this forum would appreciate it highly, speaking for myself.... "I am in search of" .....since my purchase of Metris May of 2017, to build a camper. Lots of hours I have spend only to find an upfitter to add a popup roof to my metris, in the search I was all over the globe, mainly in England, Australie but also in Canada not much in Germany, the prices upfitters charge are very different and you can find them all over US and Canada. It's amazing what everything you can't get or bring from Europe, how much we have to pay in USA for what in Europe is ordinary, nothing special. In the land of cars, we can't get a decent small camper? And if we could, it would cost over $100K ? why? I can make my furniture for fraction of what I would have to pay upfitter, most of us can do it, but to find the parts is almost impossible. Sink and propane gas stove for $260.00? not even including the gas canister, plastic faucet with hand pump $45.00? cabinet for $1500? canister for freshwater $50.00? retractable awning a $900.00? maybe I am crazy, maybe to old, even the popup plastic and fabric tent for 10K ??? Yes some decent guys charge only $8,500 but you have to drive prity far to see them, it should be simple to have your local body shop do it. But those, that sell the part in Germany will not sell it to you, only to the upfitter and in Germany BTW you could get the popup for $4,500 but now add shipment and installation and than have MB to say OK you have done good job...

I used to have a hippie wagon VW bus with sliding moonroof or a "schiebedach" covering the entire roof, sliding side windows and small up top oval windows, than I had to pay junkyard to take it $50.00. Today, I would get for it 10K maybe more, for an old junk, so let's get our hippie wagons going :) It's time :) Are you with me?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would be realy realy nice, if on this forum would be a source page, a page, where all members could place links for Metris parts namely part that I/we needed in converting Metris "worker/van" to a camper, with a place, where to buy in USA for instance windows, wall paneling, backup camera, seat swivels, solar panel, but also where to get different accessories hardware to build your furniture, table, etc I believe that most that are using this forum would appreciate it highly, speaking for myself.... "I am in search of" .....since my purchase of Metris May of 2017, to build a camper. Lots of hours I have spend only to find an upfitter to add a popup roof to my metris, in the search I was all over the globe, mainly in England, Australie but also in Canada not much in Germany, the prices upfitters charge are very different and you can find them all over US and Canada. It's amazing what everything you can't get or bring from Europe, how much we have to pay in USA for what in Europe is ordinary, nothing special. In the land of cars, we can't get a decent small camper? And if we could, it would cost over $100K ? why? I can make my furniture for fraction of what I would have to pay upfitter, most of us can do it, but to find the parts is almost impossible. Sink and propane gas stove for $260.00? not even including the gas canister, plastic faucet with hand pump $45.00? cabinet for $1500? canister for freshwater $50.00? retractable awning a $900.00? maybe I am crazy, maybe to old, even the popup plastic and fabric tent for 10K ??? Yes some decent guys charge only $8,500 but you have to drive prity far to see them, it should be simple to have your local body shop do it. But those, that sell the part in Germany will not sell it to you, only to the upfitter and in Germany BTW you could get the popup for $4,500 but now add shipment and installation and than have MB to say OK you have done good job...

I used to have a hippie wagon VW bus with sliding moonroof or a "schiebedach" covering the entire roof, sliding side windows and small up top oval windows, than I had to pay junkyard to take it $50.00. Today, I would get for it 10K maybe more, for an old junk, so let's get our hippie wagons going :) It's time :) Are you with me?
I hear you! Its ridiculous and almost unbelievable.
Like you I have done research back and forth, and btw not just on the Metris. Had a Nissan NV and Ford Transit vans and even a Winnebago Travato (which was way too much RV for us) before the Metris and I just hit the same walls in terms of Conversion Parts Availability.
Every time I am back in Germany and tell my friends that we cant get this and that they shake their heads and cant believe that it is so freaking complicated in the US to get a decent camper van or the parts for it. They are speechless when you tell them No VW campers more since 2003! Or when they suggest : by one here and ship it over " No not happening, cant do- will never be able to be registered "
I have build out my own campers back in Germany and there is an entire industry specialized in camper van parts. Pop Up roofs are offered for around 5,500 with install! That's a fair amount - not close to 10K like here in the US. It is a crazy price difference between the European market and the US market. I still receive Magazines like Camper Vans or Auto Bild Reise Mobil and its almost torture to read these because of all the great conversions available in Europe and their price point. Especially the class B market, here Hymer US who just joined the market last year wants 93K for a Aktiv camper based on the Promaster (Fiat Ducato). In Europe these "Kastenwagen" with almost the same layouts and materials ,if not sometimes better, start at 39K base price.(just one sample attached) Its a crazy price difference.
As for the Reimo Triostyle on the Vito that came out last year , it starts at 44K. Here you buy a Metris for 38 +K and have to add a conversion for 24K!
I just wonder if there are so many Mercedes customers scream for something like the Mercedes Activity, which is based on a Vito and could easily be added to their current line up of imported vans, why are they not going for it? VW pulled out of the US market in 2003 and old Eurovans are ridiculous over priced here, Mercedes would domain that segment with a weekender.
I love the idea of sharing resources and may be even start a collective ordering procedure , how ever this would need to work , in order to get parts cheaper from Germany. I was already thinking of ordering multiple folding seats, tracks and some pods from Germany to bring cost down....

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
thank you bunch beesigner and normanfoley in the case of europarts, they list mainly parts, that you may need after 100K miles but I don't see any for conversion, I do hope, that those, that have created excellent Metris Forum will care to do a resource page, were all of us could post links that that we have found and it would be on one page created only for that purpose for all easy to find,

I surely hope, that I am not only dreaming that there are bunch of us here with the same aim.
I have posted the furniture that I have made, I have used baltic plywood 1/2 " It may be better to use 3/4 it would be heavier but easier to work with, less warping better hide of pocket screws and the price is not much different. For sink I am using a stainless steel bowl from India for $12.00 in bedbathandbeyond.com it can be drilled for drain, propane stove Coleman one burner, perfect for inside and out to prepare a meal or brew.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Absolutely would like see a section covering parts and diy. I have found parts on the following sites but had to search by part numbers as their Metris listings are lagging:

autohausaz.com
rmeuroparts.com
fcpgroton.com
FCP is my go to for my Volvos. They lifetime replace any part from them, period. Including fluids.

·
Registered
23 Posts

autohausaz.com
rmeuroparts.com
fcpgroton.com
FCP is my go to for my Volvos. They lifetime replace any part from them, period. Including fluids.
Agree completely. I’ve been buying BMW, Audi, Porsche, and MB parts from them for a couple years and the lifetime warranty is legit. If they don’t have a part listed online, just call them.

·
Registered
196 Posts
talked to them a while back when they popped up online and are super nice guys ,awnsering all my questions. they sure do a nice job using the thin corian layer for the furniture..but man 70K. thats crazy expensive!
DEAR BEESIGNER i do agree that 70K is lots of money for a camper :) that is why I have posted the link here, but even if you do it yourself you may end up at $40K still a lot for just a camper :) in my case and my age worth every penny :) the biggest drag for me is to find the parts, right now I am looking for table rail and leg,(hardware) as you can see it on Nissan campers, the awnings at $1000 unbelievable expense but it would be nice to have something, so far I have nice tarp and poles for $60.

·
Registered
111 Posts
DEAR BEESIGNER i do agree that 70K is lots of money for a camper :) that is why I have posted the link here, but even if you do it yourself you may end up at $40K still a lot for just a camper :) in my case and my age worth every penny :) the biggest drag for me is to find the parts, right now I am looking for table rail and leg,(hardware) as you can see it on Nissan campers, the awnings at $1000 unbelievable expense but it would be nice to have something, so far I have nice tarp and poles for $60.
Yeah, its not easy finding all of the awesome european goodies her in the states. Check this link here, unfortunately a German site and I am not sure if they would ship to US. would ask them. I have ordered lots from them before for my Travato (fiat Dukato parts) but that was send to my address in Germany and I simply brought them with me on my flight back home to NOLA. Anyways, looks for the "Tischgleitschiene" or use chrome browser and it will give you a Translate tap in the address window.
There are a couple of different versions. I think its the one Recon Campers uses in their Nissan campers. The table deck you can build yourself and most of these tracks look fairly inexpensive...but then shipping cost again might make it expensive! Also check Reimo USA if they can get these but Reimo in germany is already more expensive and they will mark it up here in US

https://www.campingshop-24.de/wohnwagenzubehoer-wohnmobilzubehoer/innenausbau/tischgestelle?p=1
https://www.campingshop-24.de/wohnw...chgestelle/37185/tischgleitschiene-grau?c=86#

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
thank you Beesigner, thank you gottlieb, the part for the table is awesome, that would work, or any part :) that I can get locally :) the last time I was in Europe was in 2008 and I told my friends in Prague, next time in Bahamas :) or on the state site. It's truly frastution to do something and not having the proper part. It's like being back in communism where even getting toilet paper was a task for some time of days and to have a drill or saw was against the law. Well I will keep looking, thanks to gottlieb I know how much is the partition bar that I have in my metris and don't need. So far, the dealer is unwilling to remove it, even that was part of the agreement at sale.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts