Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO here is an update to my 3 Metris vans prematurely wearing front Hancook crapy Korean new tires. Dealer supplied alignments and new tires on all 3 vans Each Van has used 3 sets in 30k miles,, Alignment specs were not that far out on each Metris van. We have 5 spoke rims with Hancoock crappy tires and we are certain >it is more of a serious problem with this vehicle. Dealer is frustrated and knows it is a nationwide problem. Vito vans drive on cobblestones overseas so why can't Mbenz fix this issue on smooth roads in America? Do they have wrong alignment specs? We carry little weight, rotate tires and maintain pressure since we are all service techs.
Anyway, I can't continue to purchase new tires every 10-12k and do alignments 2xs a year! this is bull****> Dealer told me to call Mbenz and I have told the agent, my last fleet averaged 40k-50k on tires with no alignments having 300k miles on Ford Vans, I spent 2xs the money to prevent taking Vans off the road and here we are.. After looking into this further I googled "Mercedes outer tire wear"and received 850,000 titles..since 2002 on many Mercedes vehicles not just Metris.. so why can't the Manufacturer address this issue? Personally I think it's the 5 spoke rims are top heavy squeezing the 55 series tire onto a narrow rim .. You can't stand a tire up on its own.. so how do they balance them without a 3000lb load? I've never seen such admit the problem but do nothing to countermeasure this as a Fleet Mechanic owner of a small business spending $100k in new field service vehicles. I ended the conversation with "I appreciate the free tires and alignments, however I prefer a resolve to the issue , not the symptom! " as I can't keep taking these vans off the road. They will get back to me of course! I'm sure the Hancooks are the wrong crappy Korean tire, but there is more to this then they are leading on too, Not many large pro shops will take this Metris in for alignment,,only a dealer! NO SPECS available is the reason, Some say need a special tool, or a van wb too long?
MB has been building vehicles for how long? There will be a resolve here or I have no choice but to go after MB . The dealer service manager will stand by me as they did their due diligence, Sad situation..I will report outcome.

·
Registered
191 Posts
There's a place on eBay selling take-off steelies with Continentals on them for $400 + shipping. You could buy a set and try them out as an experiment.

·
Registered
195 Posts
These are the tires on my 2016 Metris. I'm sure they were/are on your vans also. I replaced mine at 20K miles. They still had reasonable tread except for the ones that started out on the front. The outer edges of those were severely worn.
Why would MB put a soft compound "ultra high performance" tire on a work van? I wouldn't expect over 30K miles with these tires even with proper alignment. While the alignment issue was responsible for the outer edge wear, the choice of tire for this vehicle is certainly questionable.

https://www.hankooktire.com/us/passenger-cars/hankook-ventus-s1-noble-2-h452.html

The ideal balance of ultra-high performance all-season
Ventus S1 noble2 is premium ultra-high performance all-season tire developed for drivers of sports cars seeking a comfortable driving.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts