Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO here is an update to my 3 Metris vans prematurely wearing front Hancook crapy Korean new tires. Dealer supplied alignments and new tires on all 3 vans Each Van has used 3 sets in 30k miles,, Alignment specs were not that far out on each Metris van. We have 5 spoke rims with Hancoock crappy tires and we are certain >it is more of a serious problem with this vehicle. Dealer is frustrated and knows it is a nationwide problem. Vito vans drive on cobblestones overseas so why can't Mbenz fix this issue on smooth roads in America? Do they have wrong alignment specs? We carry little weight, rotate tires and maintain pressure since we are all service techs.
Anyway, I can't continue to purchase new tires every 10-12k and do alignments 2xs a year! this is bull****> Dealer told me to call Mbenz and I have told the agent, my last fleet averaged 40k-50k on tires with no alignments having 300k miles on Ford Vans, I spent 2xs the money to prevent taking Vans off the road and here we are.. After looking into this further I googled "Mercedes outer tire wear"and received 850,000 titles..since 2002 on many Mercedes vehicles not just Metris.. so why can't the Manufacturer address this issue? Personally I think it's the 5 spoke rims are top heavy squeezing the 55 series tire onto a narrow rim .. You can't stand a tire up on its own.. so how do they balance them without a 3000lb load? I've never seen such admit the problem but do nothing to countermeasure this as a Fleet Mechanic owner of a small business spending $100k in new field service vehicles. I ended the conversation with "I appreciate the free tires and alignments, however I prefer a resolve to the issue , not the symptom! " as I can't keep taking these vans off the road. They will get back to me of course! I'm sure the Hancooks are the wrong crappy Korean tire, but there is more to this then they are leading on too, Not many large pro shops will take this Metris in for alignment,,only a dealer! NO SPECS available is the reason, Some say need a special tool, or a van wb too long?
MB has been building vehicles for how long? There will be a resolve here or I have no choice but to go after MB . The dealer service manager will stand by me as they did their due diligence, Sad situation..I will report outcome.

·
Registered
202 Posts
There's a place on eBay selling take-off steelies with Continentals on them for $400 + shipping. You could buy a set and try them out as an experiment.

·
Registered
201 Posts
These are the tires on my 2016 Metris. I'm sure they were/are on your vans also. I replaced mine at 20K miles. They still had reasonable tread except for the ones that started out on the front. The outer edges of those were severely worn.
Why would MB put a soft compound "ultra high performance" tire on a work van? I wouldn't expect over 30K miles with these tires even with proper alignment. While the alignment issue was responsible for the outer edge wear, the choice of tire for this vehicle is certainly questionable.

https://www.hankooktire.com/us/passenger-cars/hankook-ventus-s1-noble-2-h452.html

The ideal balance of ultra-high performance all-season
Ventus S1 noble2 is premium ultra-high performance all-season tire developed for drivers of sports cars seeking a comfortable driving.

·
Registered
9 Posts
SO here is an update to my 3 Metris vans prematurely wearing front Hancook crapy Korean new tires. Dealer supplied alignments and new tires on all 3 vans Each Van has used 3 sets in 30k miles,, Alignment specs were not that far out on each Metris van. We have 5 spoke rims with Hancoock crappy tires and we are certain >it is more of a serious problem with this vehicle. Dealer is frustrated and knows it is a nationwide problem. Vito vans drive on cobblestones overseas so why can't Mbenz fix this issue on smooth roads in America? Do they have wrong alignment specs? We carry little weight, rotate tires and maintain pressure since we are all service techs.
Anyway, I can't continue to purchase new tires every 10-12k and do alignments 2xs a year! this is bull****> Dealer told me to call Mbenz and I have told the agent, my last fleet averaged 40k-50k on tires with no alignments having 300k miles on Ford Vans, I spent 2xs the money to prevent taking Vans off the road and here we are.. After looking into this further I googled "Mercedes outer tire wear"and received 850,000 titles..since 2002 on many Mercedes vehicles not just Metris.. so why can't the Manufacturer address this issue? Personally I think it's the 5 spoke rims are top heavy squeezing the 55 series tire onto a narrow rim .. You can't stand a tire up on its own.. so how do they balance them without a 3000lb load? I've never seen such admit the problem but do nothing to countermeasure this as a Fleet Mechanic owner of a small business spending $100k in new field service vehicles. I ended the conversation with "I appreciate the free tires and alignments, however I prefer a resolve to the issue , not the symptom! " as I can't keep taking these vans off the road. They will get back to me of course! I'm sure the Hancooks are the wrong crappy Korean tire, but there is more to this then they are leading on too, Not many large pro shops will take this Metris in for alignment,,only a dealer! NO SPECS available is the reason, Some say need a special tool, or a van wb too long?
MB has been building vehicles for how long? There will be a resolve here or I have no choice but to go after MB . The dealer service manager will stand by me as they did their due diligence, Sad situation..I will report outcome.
If you find a solution to this I would sure like to hear about it. I was just at the MB dealership yesterday dealing with the outer tire wear issue. The service guy I had at Rocklin Ca treated me like crap. Hardly what you would expect from MB dealer. I also complained that my van surges and makes a snap noise when I turn the wheel to the extreme while moving. He said that for $200 he would have someone look at it. Not exaggerating. He didn't like that I wasn't buying his story that my tires were wearing because I didn't rotate them enough. Also, I asked him why my steering wheel was wearing out on the top. He said it must be because of a lotion issue or something. Didn't bother to ask me IF I wear hand lotion or something else. Only 56K. should my steering wheel be wearing away? Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
933 Posts
@jrib There is a 200 post thread on alignment you may want to find and read. It does sound like you need service. I wouldn't mess around with steering issues.

Sorry about your dealer experience. It's not uncommon with Metris owners.

I might suggest starting a new topic with the steering wheel issue and include pics. With a pic or two people might relate. It's pretty common for lotions, sunscreens and car care products like Armor All to attack plastic and rubber. Only takes one contact with some things. Materials defects are common. The top is more likely to get UV radiation also depending on window coatings.

I had a girlfriend once with a small sports car. It was a convertible. She wondered why her steering wheel was shredded and falling apart. She thought it was sun and blamed the car company. I took a look and asked her to get in the car, start then stop and get out like she normally does. Because I knew what was happening. When she stops the car she would hold the wad of keys in her right hand and use the same right hand on the steering wheel to swing out and up out of the car. She used the wheel for leverage and balance with a wad of sharp keys in the same hand. Case closed.

Rings, watches, nervous habits with fingernails, grease from crisps, zippers and snaps on jackets, transmission fluid, fingernail polish remover, transfer of hair products etc etc.

All of the rubberized interior coatings on my Porsche self destructed at around the 10 year mark. No idea why. Never used a product on them and some never had a human touch them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have two 2016’s one with spoke rims and the other the basic steel rim, both have had the same issue we have finally switched to cheap cosmo mucho macho and are at least getting 25-30k out of them, still unacceptable but better than the 10-12 we were getting, also I have hankooks on my 82 Porsche no problems, so this definitely a MB ISSUE,

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
313 Posts
Just a couple of thoughts. Yes, there does seem to have been an alignment problem in the early Metris but the difference in mileage when you switched indicates that it's the tires and not just the car. The difference with the Porsche, how much difference is there in front end weight?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I got 22k out of the stock Continental tires and just got new tires yesterday. Manage to get 38k out of the Michelins. Got a credit bak because I did nor teg the claimed 75k on the Michelins.

·
Registered
2018 Mercedes Metris Cargo
1 Posts
I got 15K out of mine, the passenger side wore out pretty badly on the edges.
I’m new to the forum but I’ve fought this also with Mercedes Benz and started noticing excessive wear on front tires by 9,000 miles. They said I needed to go after tire manufacturer but you would think within the the first year of buying this vehicle this is a problem. Re-Aligned with a reputable high end Mercedes Partner (vendor) with tires and rims and he couldn’t get it right. Put back on old set and those were off as well. He then put my new set on with my lift and got it within a few degrees but would not align any better.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You don't have to have fancy equipment to set toe to the most efficient setting if you have an mpg gauge on a digital display. Takes a little time and some trial and error, but you can set toe dynamically. RWD vehicles are usually set a little toe-in because the rear wheels tend to push the front wheels apart under load. Opposite for FWD vehicles. To set toe dynamically: Take whatever wrenches you need for the tie rod, find a not so busy highway with mile markers, hold your speed constant and as you pass a mile marker zero the mpg gauge. Drive 10 miles and record the mpgs. Turn the tie rod hex half a turn and drive the same 10 mile course again at the same speed. Repeat several times turning hex in or out until you narrow in on the sweet spot for the best mpgs. This is where the toe should be set. Amazing how much gas is wasted by poor alignment settings and you don't need fancy equipment to set it. Maybe someday a mfgr will give us tie rods that can be electrically extended or retracted about a 1/4 inch so that a computer could monitor toe for best efficiency and set itself.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You don't have to have fancy equipment to set toe to the most efficient setting if you have an mpg gauge on a digital display. Takes a little time and some trial and error, but you can set toe dynamically. RWD vehicles are usually set a little toe-in because the rear wheels tend to push the front wheels apart under load. Opposite for FWD vehicles. To set toe dynamically: Take whatever wrenches you need for the tie rod, find a not so busy highway with mile markers, hold your speed constant and as you pass a mile marker zero the mpg gauge. Drive 10 miles and record the mpgs. Turn the tie rod hex half a turn and drive the same 10 mile course again at the same speed. Repeat several times turning hex in or out until you narrow in on the sweet spot for the best mpgs. This is where the toe should be set. Amazing how much gas is wasted by poor alignment settings and you don't need fancy equipment to set it. Maybe someday a mfgr will give us tie rods that can be electrically extended or retracted about a 1/4 inch so that a computer could monitor toe for best efficiency and set itself.
Amazing how much more you know than the manufacturer. Maybe you can do go to work for Ferrari Formula 1 and advise them how to set up their cars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts