Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching Metris for a while and considering making a purchase this week. Looking at a new 2016 Worker with several upgrades. Have a small art business and would use the Metris for retail/wholesale deliveries and also do art shows in the Colorado Rockies during summer months. I have a couple questions for the group:

Anyone had much experience driving these over mountain passes and if so, does the 2.0 turbo give enough boost to maintain highway speeds?

Any tips on quieting the rear interior of van (road tested Worker with wood floor and lower side panels)

What are the maintenance schedule requirements for warranty, costs and any warranty packages I should consider?

Been reading your forum for a few weeks and great info! Thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
Glad to hear you're considering taking the plunge. I love my Metris and highly recommend it. I finally made my first drive in the mountains this weekend from Denver to Silverthorne and yes, there is plenty of power to keep you going 80+ all the way up to the tunnel. The 7 speed and turbo make this van a great driver. I'd like to see more of them on the road!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Morning

We just bought this van a week ago and have put a few hundred miles on it already in our hilly area of West Virginia. It has plenty of power, although I have a kennel business and my load of crates and dogs may not be the same as someone with heavy tools, etc. running up and down the hills.

Regards
Kathy

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great to hear the turbo keeps pace over the divide on 1-70! Curious about traction-control system and icy roads, but with record warm temps here I'll need to wait until next winter to find out. Thanks

·
Registered
483 Posts
I've been researching Metris for a while and considering making a purchase this week. Looking at a new 2016 Worker with several upgrades. Have a small art business and would use the Metris for retail/wholesale deliveries and also do art shows in the Colorado Rockies during summer months. I have a couple questions for the group:

Anyone had much experience driving these over mountain passes and if so, does the 2.0 turbo give enough boost to maintain highway speeds?

Any tips on quieting the rear interior of van (road tested Worker with wood floor and lower side panels)

What are the maintenance schedule requirements for warranty, costs and any warranty packages I should consider?

Been reading your forum for a few weeks and great info! Thanks
From Charlotte NC to Charleston WV no issues through the mountains and since I'd rarely use this type of terrain, I really pushed my MBC in the 70-85 MPH range to see how it handles. Every bit true to it's moniker "Vans Born To Run". I had, I'd guess, around 300-400 lbs of equipment.

The quickest way to a quieter cabin is to have the partition installed. Besides added security, you'll see boost in climate comfort year around. Obviously, there's many more time consuming and costly projects that can be taken on such as sound deadening 'mats' front to back large panels and wheel wells. Another easy solution that will will lower the db some is to hang mover blankets in the rear. I have one on the driver side, but it would be hard for me to gauge the effectiveness with the factory partition in place.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I started with a completely bare interior and every step helped dampen down the road noise until now it's pretty comfortable up front. Went from a dull roar to constant airline like whoosh sound.

First step was this stuff completely covering the wood floor.
http://www.americanfloormats.com/rubber-roll-matting/
I added thin indoor outdoor carpet over the mat which helped even further.

Next was adding Dynamat to all the body panels up to the half way up point. Did a double layer on the inside wheel wells. I might try a layer of material under the wood floor and further up the walls, but things are pretty good now so not sure it's worth it.

After Dynamat I installed the inside cargo panels. The Dynamat and panels seemed to give the best bang for the buck. Next I planned a foam sound insulation behind the panels but not sure I'll bother.

Last step was this:
http://www.metrisforum.com/forum/393-interior-shelving/2946-diy-cargo-headliner.html

Didn't really help much with road noise (though it does squeak a bit) but sure cooled the interior off substantially during hot days.

Good luck,
parsi

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great tips! Factory partition is probably out for me (6-2) and MB sales rep said I wouldn't be able to move driver's seat far enough back. Saw the Ranger partition online (with poly carbonate clear view - van I'm looking at has rear windows) but not sure if Ranger partition allows full movement of front seats. Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like your DIY approach. Didn't consider heat and cold barrier relief for ceiling of van. Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
24 Posts
Great tips! Factory partition is probably out for me (6-2) and MB sales rep said I wouldn't be able to move driver's seat far enough back. Saw the Ranger partition online (with poly carbonate clear view - van I'm looking at has rear windows) but not sure if Ranger partition allows full movement of front seats. Thanks
I sat in one with the Ranger lexan partition, and I thought the seats went all the back.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I just bought a used Metris with a Ranger partition and it does seem to offer full range of movement with the seats. Its a very nice partition with the clear upper half. It also did a very good job reducing the noise form the rear, not to mention making climate control in the front very simple.

·
Registered
483 Posts
You should find one to try it out. It really depends on how you currently sit from the wheel. I'm 6'2" and while at first I thought it was 'too snug', it was still a comfortable position and I've had no issue rolling 3 hours straight. Though anyone taller would probably have issue. I finally took out the partion the other day (surprisingly easier than I thought) and weird...now I feel 'less safe' while driving with equipment in the back, the increased road noise, climate control performance,etc. Looking forward to putting it back in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You should find one to try it out. It really depends on how you currently sit from the wheel. I'm 6'2" and while at first I thought it was 'too snug', it was still a comfortable position and I've had no issue rolling 3 hours straight. Though anyone taller would probably have issue. I finally took out the partion the other day (surprisingly easier than I thought) and weird...now I feel 'less safe' while driving with equipment in the back, the increased road noise, climate control performance,etc. Looking forward to putting it back in.
Good to know, thanks. Just purchased a new 2016 Cargo last night and ready to start my upfitting project.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't tell CHP - I tested the Metris at 80mph a couple weekends ago towing a vintage trailer (probably 1500lbs) - totally fine. That thing is zippy & powerful for such a baby engine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
31k miles on odometer. drove it through mountains with load the only thing i didn't do is tow on it. the 2.0 turbo performed great. as for quieting the van. i added mass load adhesive on the panels that didn't have any from the factory. it had a great effect no road noise or vibration after that . i would highly recommend it. it will take you less than 1 hours and set you back around 150$ if you are using good brand like 3M or you could do it cheaper too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts