Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not making up the names. These come from ostensibly serious weather news sites.

This morning, I got up at 6:30, left the house an hour later. Out of the driveway, in several inches of snow- this required the skill and technique of my years of driving, not only requiring me to step on the brake, but also push the gear selector into reverse. Then, drawing on my finely honed skills, I let my foot off the brake and rolled into my unplowed street. With great skill and concentration, I then shifted into drive and, ever so carefully, feathered the gas. Off I went! Into the driving snow! The gusting winds! The 25 degree temperatures!

I braved my way a good mile and a half, suffering such hardships as stop signs, corners, and even another car on the road! But no, BB held the road good and true, even without snow tires! I found my way to the destination of my dreams, a lunchenette. I had eggs, french toast, potatoes, and sausage patties. It was good, a worth reward for my toils!

Then we left, having had to clear off some snow from the car. It was really coming down, there must of been another half an inch! But I set out for my next quest, to drive up a spiral flyover. The grade was steep, but BB was willing. We set out to the Goose, and filled her tanks! Then, merging back onto the road, there must have been a good three other cars, we continued back home, around the jug handle, through the light. Snow, as far as the eye could see. But I turned back on to my street, back into my snow covered driveway.

Home at last. And not a single traction control light lit.

Bomb cylclone defeated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was less impressed with mine. Are you driving the cargo or the passenger? Driving my empty cargo I barely made it out of the plowed driveway (albeit it was a subpar plow job he was trying to be kind to my shell drive way). Added 300lbs of sand bags to the back and that definitely improved things a lot, but now I am shopping for snow tires...

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Passenger. It doesn't matter what kind of drive you have, it is always a PITA to try to accelerate on a hill in the snow. But yeah, IIRC the weight distribution on a Pax van is something like 52/48. Which is insane.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have Nokian Hakkapelitta CR3’s on mine for winter and am able to get up my long hilly driveway that also tends to accumulate ice. I was not able to with the all season’s it came with.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Drove right up an icy hill covered in snow tonight in my Metris, no traction warning light. Running Michelin X-Ice III Snow tires on stock Metris steel rims. Way better than it did on the factory conti's.

The only thing better is 4matic (with snow tires too)....I can stop on a steep hill on 6" of snow in my GLK and take off at a normal pace with virtually no slippage....Metris is plenty good as it is, not complaining here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts