Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum as I am trying to buy a metris. But I am currently stationed in Germany and there appears to be no way I can buy and pick up the metris as a U.S. spec vehicle here in Germany. I need this as I will eventually move back to the U.S.... does anyone know how this is feasible?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum as I am trying to buy a metris. But I am currently stationed in Germany and there appears to be no way I can buy and pick up the metris as a U.S. spec vehicle here in Germany. I need this as I will eventually move back to the U.S.... does anyone know how this is feasible?
The Metris isn't listed as part of Mercedes' European Delivery program.

For the cargo version at least, I don't think Mercedes could offer it if they wanted because final (re-)assembly of the cargo version happens in the USA as per the chicken tax. To take delivery in Europe would require that they ship the vans back across the Atlantic.

My guess is you would have to buy a Metris in the USA and have it shipped to Germany and back yourself. Might be easier to buy a Vito and sell it when you leave.

·
Registered
292 Posts
It used to be legal for members of the military to buy vehicles in Europe and ship them back to the US. However that ended sometime in the 90's, much to the disappointment of some military members. Although a couple of people that I knew that had actually done it said that getting parts and service work done was usually difficult.

I agree with Gottlieb, its probably a lot easier to buy a Vito and then sell it before you leave.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats what I am understanding at this point...MB still has the military sales program but it is only for cars and suvs, not the "commercial" vans, even though this would be for private use

·
Registered
196 Posts
That is how we take care of our "veterans" :-( Unfortunately, same as the chicken tax, so is the Mercedes Benz in Europe and here, it would be nice to find a politician, that would be willing to end this crazy game. We get cars in US from Japan, Korea, even India with less hassle than from Germany and other European countries for example Czech Republic. Skoda, Tatra, CZ, Jawa who knows in this country those names, as they are known in Australia, New Zealand, but also in Germany and all over Europe, however not here not here. :-( Does anybody knows why?

·
Registered
191 Posts
That is how we take care of our "veterans" :-( Unfortunately, same as the chicken tax, so is the Mercedes Benz in Europe and here, it would be nice to find a politician, that would be willing to end this crazy game. We get cars in US from Japan, Korea, even India with less hassle than from Germany and other European countries for example Czech Republic. Skoda, Tatra, CZ, Jawa who knows in this country those names, as they are known in Australia, New Zealand, but also in Germany and all over Europe, however not here not here. :-( Does anybody knows why?
The U.S. is an extremely competitive and geographically huge market. It takes a lot of time and money to establish a brand here.

New players have to spend hundreds of millions on marketing, on establishing a transcontinental dealer network, on developing cars for this market, and have to be prepared to wait perhaps a decade to see any profit. That's tough, although plenty of companies have managed.

I don't think the Germans are made to jump through any more hoops than the Japanese or anyone else. All the major German brands sell here and are doing well.

I think the U.S. is a difficult market for small companies, and for manufacturers used to protectionist home-field advantage. In the old days, the Japanese were largely shut out of European markets, which didn't do anything to promote competitiveness by the likes of Fiat or Renault.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a DOD Civilian at Ramstein Germany and the local MB dealer (Torpedo) picked up a used 2016 Metris in the States for me and shipped it over last year. You can probably ship one on your own from the east coast and save a few bucks, I am sure I paid a premium to have it done for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jbcoomer, are you talking about the Torpedo in Landstuhl...if so could you please share any insight with me that you are comfortable with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts