Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I know what it is built to do. That is one of the reasons I bought it. I don’t think many people realize the payload on a Metris beats many 3/4 ton pickups (250/2500) (as equipped, not a stripped worker model) and all 1/2 ton pickups.

Which is why I am hoping my understressed van that is just used as a family vehicle for a two person family will last a long long time.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Same here! I wanted something meant to do job site level work, but used mostly for family transport, so it should last for ages. :)

·
Registered
869 Posts
I know what its built to do. My Metris does real work, and handles it no problem!

Wait, they weren't designed as mountain road racers?
Absolutely loved your video in the twisties. One small request -- can you tune a little bit of throttle-off backfire into the chip work?

·
Registered
943 Posts
No, it simply lies to the sensors telling it the boost is lower than it really is so it adds more to try to keep up.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Too bad, although I was partly kidding!

·
Registered
943 Posts
There is a company doing programming to add that to the CLA.

If I put my dump pipe right behind the cat, it would do it, but also be loud AF.

I will add I had a vanful of 5 when I did trip #1 down the Dragon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yep, mine does hard work 5 days a week with a heavy payload, then parked and no commuting miles. But still, are we working with a luxury sedan transmission here? Sure does feel like it sometimes..

·
Registered
401 Posts
I drove mine through a muddy farm in the rain to get a christmas tree today, does that count as hard work? :grin:

Zero traction problems even plowing through mud....the stock tires seem to do fine in dirt/mud/rain/dry, they are just terrible in snow!

·
Registered
12 Posts
G wagen has the same trans as well as S63. Its very capable of handling most anything. And they have it programmed to not overwork itself.
Ahh the throaty growl of the g-wagen accelerating slightly up an incline.. how could I forget! These things have been hauling elephants out of the Sahara for decades, solid vehicles. And M 'euro vans' in general, all over the world for ages!

But maybe it's the electronic shift- giving the operator no consistent feel or idea as to what's going on. After month's long research and a trouble light just last week on the dash I am eager to change the tranny fluid this weekend in my 722.9 transmission... only 23,000 miles late!

Could. not. imagine. a more ideal van for what I do- thing is awesome. Plan is to a) take care of it, and b) let the vehicle do what it's programmed to do and when it doesn't, the fun begins!! And yes, Sprinter vans are a good indicator of the Metris reliability- serious miles on some!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Mine does real work! Agile and safely transporting my family is the most important work!

·
Registered
26 Posts
After 2 years, my Metris still gets lots of looks, is the envy of every guy I know in the video business I'm in, especially when I roll two carts full of heavy cameras, lighting and sound down a $200 wheelchair ramp in 5 minutes, and now it pulls a 3800# teardrop camper on getaway weekends. THE best purchase I have ever made for my business and my life.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts