Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Metris owners!

bought and converted a used 2016 Metris. My first “real” project I’ve ever done.I wanted it “all” but settled for easier and easier as time went on- and still very happy with the results.
It’s more of a weekender, no permanent cooking solutions. Which leaves the van with room to fit 1 dirt bike inside, and one on the hitch.

the process:

cut a hole in the ceiling and added a fan. Added a solar panel onto the roof rack with custom brackets -I made -that hooks up to a not so fancy $300 battery from amazon. Which works like a charm- I can charge my phone, use my curling iron, have the fan running and a light or two with no issues yet.

Installed installation- foam, and spray foam- I don’t not recommend the spray.

for the wall panels I purchased precut panels ($800), and added foam and fabric myself. For the ceiling- after the leather idea went to s$&@ and I was out $200 - I just bought a piece of carpet for $70 so there wasn’t any sewing together to be done. Worked well, carpet is a little heavy so the glue didn’t work well to hold it up and it will need work in later years.

the van came with a floor, so took it out, glued on some vinyl flooring and cut it. Came out pretty nice but not as heavy duty as I would like it to be.

the sofa converts into a bed, I spent the most money on this but it’s also really comfortable and if I’m not sleeping in a tent I want to be comfortable. I got the sofa for $800 and the storage box that it attached to for $500. It’s about an inch too tall but I’m 5’7 and can sit just fine.

I added a few string lights that run off their own batteries and some decor from target. Most of the storage lives under the sofa but is getting pretty full so looking to add storage or just some heavy duty containers to keep the space open.

Later i added a swivel seat for the passenger ($300) which is a pain to swivel but adds a lot of functionality to the van. May add the driver swivel as well and a table that I can assemble between the two when needed.

Hope you enjoy the photos! It was hard to find much on these vans without a pop top style conversion. It cost me about $3,500 for everything to convert. Way less than the 10k I was about to spend on the pop top alone
Furniture Room Property Bed Bedroom
Automotive exterior Windshield Vehicle Auto part Roof rack
Bed Bedroom Room Furniture Bedding

·
Registered
862 Posts
Nice work! Your design is similar to what I've been torturing myself with in Sketchup, meaning single bed running lengthwise, likely driver's side.

Where did you get the sofa?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice work! Your design is similar to what I've been torturing myself with in Sketchup, meaning single bed running lengthwise, likely driver's side.

Where did you get the sofa?
RB components, it’s the 76” and fits perfectly. Enough room for the driver side to swivel as well

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Product Electronic device Technology Output device Electronics
Also want to add this behind driver seat, anyone have any experience with this fridge unit? I’d have to upgrade my battery which would bring the cost to almost $1,000 just not sure if it’s worth it. I dont mind a traditional cooler.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personally, I think one between the seats is more practical.
I like the idea of that- how maneuverable is it? Since I have the swivel seats I’d have to move it every time I want to to the seats around

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
332 Posts
I see your point. I don't have one (yet) or swivel seats. Maybe RansomRidge or Princeslim can tell you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If it's weekend use, I'd say save the money and buy a 5 day cooler. You can spend a bit more and get the plug in kind so that it's cooling as you're driving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts