Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought some of you might be interested in how I am using my Metris as a toy hauler. I bought my Metris in March of this year from Sun Motors in Harrisburg, PA. It was a 2016 Demo and I felt I got a really good price. It came with the Comfort Package, Efficiency Package, Cargo Partition and LED lights. Had 3200 miles. I did buy one additional year of the ELW since that takes it to 75K miles vs. the stock 36K.

One of the primary reasons for the purchase was to haul some of my vintage and new Triumph motorcycles. To make this work well I did several modifications.

First, I could not live with the leg room with the stock partition in place. And I hated it not having a window. I have windows in my rear doors but no window in the partition. I cut a hole and added a nice big window using a locking window gasket.

Then I made some extensions out of 1 x 6 pine boards and covered them with naugahyde. I set the partition back at the bottom ¾” but leaned it back a full 6” at the top. This made a tremendous difference. The seats can slide back completely and can recline sufficiently. It also made the cabin much less claustrophobic. I will try to add some pictures.

Second, I added a trailer hitch. I did it myself using one from DrawTite that I bought on eBay. I also used a Curt Trailer Wire Converter #567190. It works well and was not that expensive. I also added a metal bar across the back of the bumper connected to the hitch. This bar is to lock and support my ramps and to keep all of the weight off the bumper when loading bikes. I will try to add a picture of this as well. Since hitch ground clearance has been discussed before, I have had zero issues with dragging my hitch.

My next mod was to build a sub-floor in the back of the van to hold two motorcycle ramps and a foot ramp to be used when loading cycles. The sub-floor is ½” plywood sitting on top of 2 x 2’s adding only 2” to the floor. I will add a picture of this as well.

Last weekend I went to a show called “Battle of the Brits” put on by the Detroit Metro Triumph Riders. Very nice show and we had great weather. I put my two vintage bikes into the back of the Metris (about 800lb) and pulled my new Bonneville on a small utility trailer (bike and trailer about another 800lb).

Overall I was very pleased with using the Metris for this purpose. There is plenty of room in the back for two bikes and it had no issues hauling an additional 2000lb of stuff.

Gene

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Welcome! The Metris is a fantastic motorcycle hauler. There are a couple of threads on here showing two motorcycles in the back. They will give you some different perspectives on how the bikes were loaded and strapped down compared to what you have done. It's always interesting seeing different persons' approach to a similar problem.

I'm really digging the bikes!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went to Nuke School as well. Qualified on a boomer, the USS Benjamin Franklin, SSBN 640 then finished up with 18 months on a fast attack, the USS Richard B. Russell, SSN 687. Never regretted going in, but never regretted getting out, either.

·
Registered
62 Posts
How far did you move the top of the cargo panel back? I like the idea of leaving the bottom in place & tilting the rest. Just wondering if you still can use the interior slider door release.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I moved the top of the partition back about 6 1/2". The bottom back about 3/4'. Moving the top back that much did interfere with the rear slider. I had to remove a hunk of the partition and replaced it with a piece of sheet metal painted black. It worked quite well and really does not look to bad. I have added a picture taken from inside the rear cargo area showing the clearance around the door handle. Works fine.

I have also included a picture of the three bikes I took to the show. The blue Tiger and the maroon Bonneville were loaded in the back of the Metris and the black Bonneville was on the trailer.

Gene

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
here's a diagram (hope link works) and part #'s of possible trim covers from a passenger model that may possibly cover the voids left when remove partition from cargo model.
Replacement b pillars
447-690-63-25-9051 B-PILLAR TRI 0 112.58
447-690-64-25-9051 B-PILLAR TRI 0 112.58
447-690-47-01-7P51 B-PILLAR TRI 0 184.80
447-690-48-01-7P51 B-PILLAR TRI 0 187.20
447-690-62-00-9051 B-PILLAR TRI 0 112.58
447-690-96-25-9051 B-PILLAR TRI 0 112.58
Adding headliner and rear pillars
447-690-53-00-7P51 HEADLINER 0 896.00
447-690-55-26-7H52 D-PILLAR TRI 0 82.60
447-690-54-26-7H52 D-PILLAR TRI 0 82.60
447-690-71-25-7P51 C-PILLAR TRI 0 98.33