Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of converting my cargo van into a camper and am doing most of the work myself. One of the toughest issues is windows. Just finding ones that fit the bays behind the driver and in the sliding door has been challenging. I've been talking quite a bit with Charlie Reynolds of Alaska Camper Van Conversions here in Anchorage on windows and seats. He also builds commercial fishing boats and does primarily Sprinter van conversions so he works with a number of window manufacturers to get custom windows. He called Jeff at Motion Windows for me and found out that they have already fabricated sliding T windows for the Metris.

The windows are the same size for each side, although I'm not sure if they slide in the same direction- that's not a big deal to me. They are certainly larger and a better fit than stock windows offered by the other manufacturers that I've looked at. The price is $356 per window plus shipping, which isn't too bad for a custom T window of that size. I've got 2 on order. Delivery takes 6 to 8 weeks.

For those that have looked closely at the window bays, they are tapered toward the rear. Which is why the windows look a bit out of square in the pictures. (These pictures were provided by Motion Windows, the first picture is very small.)

The link to Motion Windows- http://www.motionwindows.com/

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
T Windows

Wondering if you received/installed the windows yet.

I'm looking for some for the rear quarters.

A few pictures of your install would be great.

Jr.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the windows installed by a place that does camper conversions, although this is the first Metris that they have seen or worked on. These are made by Motion Windows. http://www.motionwindows.com/

In hind sight, installing the windows a bit higher would have been better since the passenger door interior lock is very close to the window frame. The installer chose to keep the lower edge of the window parallel with the lower flare on the side of the van. Perhaps a more horizontal orientation might look a bit better- it would make the tapered flare lines a bit less obvious.

The Pros:

Arrived VERY well packaged. One of the best packing jobs that I've seen in quite some time.

Curved to match the contour of the van.

Construction and materials seem to be top notch.

A sliding opener with a permanent screen.

Not too large so they won't be huge heat exchangers in extreme temperatures.

Slightly tinted.

Reasonably priced for good quality windows. These are much nicer than the windows in a Lance camper that I used to own.

The sliding pane opens smoothly and with enough friction that it should stay open while driving if that's what you want.

The Cons:

The inner edge does not have a flange to cover the edge of interior paneling.

The opening portion is fairly small.

It would be nice to have the option of a some what larger window..... (I know, I just said the size was good. Its not just politicians that get to waffle and try to have things both ways.)

Although it not really a ding on the window, the tapered lines of the Metris are not kind to a rectangular window.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
I took a chance and ordered left and right sliding windows from Van Pimps in the UK and arranged forward shipping to the US. Even with shipping and 18% VAT that I probably wont get refunded it was cheaper to get two windows from the UK than a single OEM fit sliding window from a US distributor.

vanpimps.co.uk/product-category/van-styling/vito/vito-2014-windows

I'll post pics if they arrive in one piece.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Braddo,
Thank you for posting the information on sliding windows you ordered from the UK. I was just about to order a similar window from a US distributer (link below) but decided to hold off and see what you think about your windows when you receive them. The UK price seems more reasonable and the windows appear to be of high quality. I would be interested to know how you arranged for shipping to the US. Also how did you arrange payment? Anxious to hear about what you think of the windows when they arrive. I would expect the Vito and Metris to have the same stamped profile in their sliding doors. I will be sending you a PM on this subject.

https://www.vanwindowsdirect.com/co...indow-mercedes-benz-metris-van-passenger-side

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mikita and Braddo, I too am looking for windows that open. 30-40K for a vehicle with useless windows. Go figure. Please share all the info that you two have come up with. Posting it out here helps everyone out. Looking forward to seeing how the shipping and install goes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
There are several companies that cater to US buyers who want to shop in Europe. I've purchased items from European stores that offered direct shipping but I've never used a forward freight company before.

The company I chose is called Forward2Me. When you register with the site they provide you with a UK shipping address that you have your packages delivered to. They have a shipping calculator on the site to estimate the shipping fees. This part is a little sketch because the actual shipping fee is determined once Forward2Me receives the package. I contacted Van Pimps and they provided me with the package dimensions and weight which I used for the estimate. Shipping is estimated at 90 GBP.

I was able to buy directly from Van Pimps by entering my Forward2Me address as the shipping and billing address. I think this worked because I used PayPal for payment. If you want to pay with CC you may have to use Forward2Me's concierge service where they buy items on your behalf for an additional fee when you cannot enter a US billing address.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Braddo,
Thanks again for this post. I have contacted Van Pimps in UK and they were very helpful answering my questions about product and process. As you mentioned they do not ship to USA. I also researched Forward2me and their services seem straight forward. Basically no new information from what you've provided. I am anxious to give it a try but perhaps I will wait a bit for the outcome of your (test case) purchase. Has Forward2me received your windows yet and contacted you with shipping costs and timeline? Perhaps when you get the windows a review on their quality and fit would be appreciated by many of us. thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
I ordered the windows Tuesday evening and received a notification that the windows arrived at Forward2Me on Friday. I filled in the value of the items and was hoping I would have an estimate today and the items could be shipped out. No such luck. I'll keep the thread updated on my experience with the process and of course the windows themselves.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Its a miracle, the windows arrived unbroken! Here's the update.

Forward 2 Me didn't want to ship the windows as they received them. Email communication was pretty slow it took almost a week of back and forth to get final shipping option prices which were.

1. Put the windows on a pallet with no option for insurance - £268.11 ($345) shipping
2. Put the windows in a custom crate - £526.50 ($680) + £20 for insurance

Other forward shipping sites had online quotes @ ~£110 for the dimensions and weight of the windows on a crate.

I then spent almost a week debating what to do. Do I transfer the package and see if I have better luck with that company, do I return the windows, do I pay £550 to have it shipped with insurance or do I risk it and pay the £268 and ship it uninsured? In the end I decided to risk it and just pay the £268 and hope for the best.

Shipping was super fast. I payed Wednesday night, the windows were packed up Tursday, DHL picked up the package Friday and Monday morning the windows were at my door.

The windows were well packed. It looks like the used a whole roll of bubble wrap and the windows were sandwiched between multiple layers of cardboard. On the outside were plenty of "Fragile" and "Do not stack" stickers.

The windows themselves are... okay. Not what I would consider OEM quality. The coating on some of the exposed trim and brackets are suspect as to how well they will holdup in the sun over the years. I'm a little disappointed with the large opaque border around the outside edge of the window but I knew that was there before ordering. At the UK price of $215ea they are good value. I paid about $400ea which was borderline what I was willing to pay for sliding windows on a passenger van that already had windows. I think the $700 - $800 the US distributor is asking for these is just too much.

I'm out of town for the rest of this week. Hopefully in the next week or so I will get the windows installed and will post more pictures. Still debating whether I'll install the windows myself or just have it done by a local glass shop.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
The nicest windows I have seen are the ones that Reimo America's installs. They take up the whole window area and look very OEM. I am curious if anyone has used these.

There are pics on their FB page, which I can't post a link to yet, or attach as an image :(.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Great to hear windows arrived in good condition. Looking forward to seeing photos of windows installed (inside and out view). Curious if window tint is same on the opening glass as the full window glass? Also anxious to see how the window opens/closes from inside. I would think the opaque border would be beneficial in that it would hide the glue line and underlying color. What was your concern (opaque border) and how do you like it after installation? I am probably going to follow your process and place an order but have yet to decide if I want one or two. Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Braddo,
Just notice Seattle location. I will be in Edmonds tomorrow(8/22) midday don't imagine your glass shop is in that vicinity?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts