Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey..

Thought I would start a thread consolidating all the resources that have been coming up regarding converting a Metris into a camper. Here's what I have been able to find so far from another thread.

gtrv.com
reconcampers.com/?page_id=86

From user TCP:

The biggest change is that I'm having someone else do it: moreheaddesignlab.comin Asheville, NC. They expect to be able to start in the middle of this month.

Insulation: rattletrap (fatmat.com/shop/rattle-trap-6563) attached to the metal, then ecobatt insulation ecobatt.us/eco_batt.html, then plastic vapor barrier.

A fantastic fan in the ceiling.

Two CL Laurence sliding screened windows on sliding door and the wall opposite. These are flat rather than contoured windows but the company insists that they have worked well on vans with curved walls in the past.

Sink, stove, water storage across from the sliding door.

Cooler: Dometic CF-025DC Portable Freezer/Refrigerator Slim/Tall as it can be slid between the front seats if we need to slide it out of the way (though the top won't open when it is there). We just got ours and tested its fit this morning.

Side walls farther back from the sliding door will be floor to ceiling cabinets, cubbies, shelves, and a fold out table on both sides - though the table only on one side. They will extend to just beyond the wheel wells as that will still allow 4 feet of open space in the bottom.

Ceiling will be white covered thin plywood. Cabinet and shelves will be birch veneer plywood as thin (for weight purposes) as possible and still hold up.

Sleeping will be on a 4 foot wide gymnastics matt on the floor. This will fold up and lean against a wall when not in use.

Seating will be folding chairs.

Mosquito netting on both the back and side doors - though we haven't finalized those plans yet other than that we will be doing them ourselves.

Total cost for the conversion should be about $9,000 of which $4000 is labor.

What we are missing: pop top and seating for additional passengers. What we gain is a van that we can use for many other purposes when we aren't camping. And it should work out a heck of a lot better than our tent.

User Parsi:
For anyone looking for the rear cargo panels, I have part numbers and "preliminary" costs. Preliminary because the dealer was slammed and Metris stuff is apparently still not easily accessible via internet. I hope these prices hold up when I receive the order.

Part numbers 447-690-27-01 through 447-690-32-01 are the rear cargo panels. That's six panels for what I count seven spaces, so I'm guessing the top of the cargo door doesn't get paneled. Not sure why but it's the only thing that seems to make sense.

Part numbers 447-747-11-00 and 447-747-12-00 are the rear door panels.

Costs are $46.00 - $53.00 per panel, depending on size.

That's gonna help tremendously in the insulation/sound deadening aspect of my build.

User Wintu:

I got some news as well . Yesterday i talked to Colorado branch of C-F maier which manufacturer of one of the best pop top roofs in Germany . They told me that the will be bringing their roof for new Mercedes Metris. In the Europe they sell a kit that you can install your self so if people are not afraid to cut the hole in their new van they can save a lot of money. here are some links for anyone who is interested.

cfmaier.com/profile/profile.htm

installation instructions from one of the many conversion companies in UK:
s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.freshde...lication%2Fpdf

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,

interesting post. I'd like to add to the post that we (TerraCamper North America) are the distributor for C-F Maier products for the West Coast. C-F Maier will only sell their products through distributors and not directly. The first roofs have arrived in our facility and will be crash tested soon. For more information, contact us under [email protected].

·
Registered
58 Posts
We are a Canadian company, Quebec based with a facility in BC, Swiss-European owned, while our primary focus is the Sprinter 4 X 4, we could not refuse our enthusiasm for the Metris ( after much success with the Vito ), we are able to supply and convert the following; Scopema RIB, ( can only be delivered to a authorized installer ), Poptops, Webasto, we are Buddybox for N. America, Metris specific alloys, Euro parts, factory fresh air windows, factory Benz parts ( one of our business partners is a Mercedes dealer ), swivel seat bases, awnings . All approval in place, but we will be officially launching in March 2017, so until then we have remain off the radar. We are pleased to see many fantastic companies showing their enthusiasm for the Metris, lets hope we see a bright, long future for the Metris in North America, we all deserve a van like this. I will pipe and say that we are very familiar with Terracamper and are very happy to see its presence in North America, the more companies we have, the more Metris on the road, the better our chances to see further options available, such as AWD, Diesel, better passenger seats.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for providing info. I am about (I think) to get a Metris passenger van which I would like to use as my daily vehicle enabling me to drive around with about 4 people at times but also have it serve as a camper for weekends or a couple of weeks. Mainly I am looking to accommodate just my partner and me for camping.
A major problem seems to be that I live in Massachusetts and all the interesting van conversion shops seem to be in California. I would love to find something a bit more local if at all possible but also don't want a million dollar conversion either. Some things I might be able to craft myself but know I will need help on a variety of items. Ideally at some point getting a pop top would be sweet.
Thanks for any help or suggestions etc.
Paul

·
Registered
2 Posts
Request information about metris passenger van camper conversion

Since I hope to convert a soon to be purchased metris passenger van, do I understand that you will also provide poptops. And where will you be located? I am currently in Massachusetts.
Paul

·
Registered
1 Posts
Paul, I'm considering converting a passenger van as well. Please let me know what you've learned and how the conversion is doing. Good Luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
We have decided to make the leap to a new 2017 Metris and have it converted to a VW Eurovan-style Weekender with a TerraCamper pop-top. We live in Colorado and have placed an order for a factory-built Metris Cargo van to our specifications for a mid-July delivery from Mercedes-Benz of Loveland. With the help of the sales person at the dealership, we are now investigating working with two nearby conversion companies in Colorado. TouRig of Nederland & Golden is a certified importer and installer of the TerraCamper pop-top and is going to give us a proposal for finishing the interior of the van to our specifications. Colorado Camper Van of Loveland is also going to give us a proposal for finishing the interior of the van to our specifications. We would most likely have TouRig install the TerraCamper pop-top, no matter which company we chose for the interior finish.

We are planning on a Eurovan Weekender-style conversion, without full-camper features; so, no sink, heater, stove or frig. We will only include these features:

• Interior finish including insulation, flooring, wall covering, etc.
  • Windows with screened sliders & curtains: 2 on the passenger side and 1 on the driver’s side
  • Bench seat that converts to a bed
  • A table, preferably one that is attached to the driver’s side wall and swings down out of the way for storage and bed deployment, like the Eurovan Weekender has.
  • Lights
  • Cubbyholes for storage

I will posts updates to this forum as the project unfolds.
    - David

·
Registered
19 Posts
fishfundguy, I don’t understand your comment “save for the diesel motor and manual transmission. Our Metris has a 208 HP turbo-charged gas engine with a 7-speed automatic transmission. We test-drove one and it is a sweet ride.
-David

·
Registered
89 Posts
Our windows are standard CL Laurence flat. So it doesn't match the curve of the car, but the foam seal that comes with them are adequate for sealing the windows. They have some problems as the installers tightened them up which put a bit of a curve into something that wasn't designed to curve. But they are working OK for us.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
If I thought that a diesel motor in the Metris was a realistic near term prospect, I would advise the same thing, sorta. I would go diesel/auto. I like sticks myself, but the 7G-Tronic Plus is a good gearbox, the 5G-Tronic is also so, and the 4-speed that proceeded it is quite capable of 500k miles of service.

There is a cadre of Mercedes owners (im one, and I suspect MB513 is another) who have owned and remember the indestructible old diesels like the W123 240D.

It didn't have a sweet motor. Infact, its motor was loud and unrefined and by 100k miles would rock the car at idle. However, at 100k miles that car, and that engine, was at the beginning of its life. With no turbo, and no emissions systems, equipped with a four speed manual and few power accessories, almost nothing ever went wrong with them. The MB museum has an example with a documented 2.3 million miles, original drive train, and I think no rebuilds.

I love those cars myself, and I love my Metris. A diesel version would likely outlive the gas model in terms of engine (one can replace an engine in a Mercedes, however, so I doubt the engine will be a constraining factor on BBs life). But Mercedes doesn't build cars like that anymore- regulations and consumer preference doesn't really allow it. However the diesel would let you get better mileage by about 50% I'd guess, which is why it's worth it.

Cool fact: a Sprinter 2500 144" 2.1 liter standard roof gets generally better mileage than the Metris. Actually a friend of mine with a Sprinter 3500 177 EXT V6 who runs about 1200lbs over regularly (that is to say, 13000 lbs, and closer to 16000 on the specific trip I'm referring to) averaged 20.6 mpg (distance over fuel consumed, not the computer) on a trip from south Jersey to Central Florida.

Don't get me wrong, the Metris has a decent gas engine that actually removes my number two objection to gas engines (they are either gutless, excessively thirsty, or both). But it doesn't solve #1 (I don't like carrying around a highly combustible substance- diesel is basically non combustible), and while it is nowhere near as thirsty as the last gas engine I drove with decent low end torque, it's still thirstiesr than I'd like.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for providing info. I am about (I think) to get a Metris passenger van which I would like to use as my daily vehicle enabling me to drive around with about 4 people at times but also have it serve as a camper for weekends or a couple of weeks. Mainly I am looking to accommodate just my partner and me for camping.
A major problem seems to be that I live in Massachusetts and all the interesting van conversion shops seem to be in California. I would love to find something a bit more local if at all possible but also don't want a million dollar conversion either. Some things I might be able to craft myself but know I will need help on a variety of items. Ideally at some point getting a pop top would be sweet.
Thanks for any help or suggestions etc.
Paul
Hi Campers I am interested in buying roof rails for a reasonable price if anyone has some

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello COLORADO. Regarding the pop-top roof I have had several conversation with Eric at TOURIG, Golden, CO. They will be offering conversions very soon. All the way from just a roof to a full boat redo. This weekend they are displaying the Terra Camper Metris T-Camp at the Denver Auto Show. Look for them at the MB booth.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello COLORADO. Regarding the pop-top roof I have had several conversation with Eric at TOURIG, Golden, CO. They will be offering conversions very soon. All the way from just a roof to a full boat redo. This weekend they are displaying the Terra Camper Metris T-Camp at the Denver Auto Show. Look for them at the MB booth.
Thanks for the tip! Went to Auto Show this afternoon and spoke with Eric. They couldn't get Metris conversion to the show unfortunately. Guess the hauler showed up and vehicle wouldn't fit. Got some good info on his toppers though. Guess they'll start installing next month and it's a two-day process. Approx. $10,500 for parts and labor. Eric definitely is an expert regarding MB conversions!

·
Registered
3 Posts
fishfundguy, I don’t understand your comment “save for the diesel motor and manual transmission. Our Metris has a 208 HP turbo-charged gas engine with a 7-speed automatic transmission. We test-drove one and it is a sweet ride.
-David
Diesel is just my preference. I realize that they are offering less of advantage than they once did, but I still like them. I am spoiled by my 45 mpg average in my 2003 VW Jetta Sport Wagon. It would be hard to drop down to 20 mpg average, but I would be willing to go to low 30's in a van like the Metris.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I live in San Francisco and I'm interested in building a Metris cargo van out for sports and occasional weekend camping. I don't think I really need a full "conversion". I found Tourig in Colorado but I would love to talk to some builders here in California. Anyone have a list of Metris conversion shops here in CA?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts