Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some insight since I totally don't trust what the dealer just told me.

I went to a very reputable stereo installer and had a stereo (basic no apple play or anything), speakers, and he tried to install the cruise control kit that others have discussed in this forum which he aborted because he said the directions for the wire colors didn't match and it was looking complicated.

I have a used 2019 Passenger Metris with all the bells and whistles except cruise control for whatever the F reason.

- Cruise control he said he failed at because the wires didn't match and he was getting too deep into wires so stopped.
250-9662 2018-2020 Mercedes Metris Complete Rostra Cruise Control Kit
Now I'm a little suspect of this dude's ability to do his job since others said this was a fairly easy install on this forum. Just plug and play. He said the wires didn't match and he was in the computer chips so stopped. This is where I think things may have ACTUALLY gone wrong.

2) He installed the sound system which he's known for. He also does super custom body work and stuff.

3) I went to pick up my van and sound guy said that there was an issue with the van and that I needed to go to the dealer and have it reset. That he would pay the tab on that. Seemed fair. I also want to state that I had a time crunch on the vehicle delivery as I needed it to move stuff so don't judge him for not fixing this issue himself. I forced him to give me the van.

4) Anyway everything was gorked. I'm getting airbags are off, horn doesn't work, driver assist is off, the car is pulling weirdly probably because the stabilizers aren't on and assisting etc.Even the back up camera is being all weird and not showing grid lines all the time but sometimes on the newly installed panel.

5) I bring it into the dealer and he comments on the stereo. I say I just had it installed. He throws shade at me (***), refuses me a loaner (parking lot full of them) because I have a Metris which I guess don't count as Mercedes?? And then walks away without a goodbye or see you later.

6) I get a call 5 hours later that the stereo was installed wrong. That they cut the radio harness and destroyed my fiberoptic ring." He said installing radios in the Metris just shouldn't be done. So I looked at him all side-eyed since I've been on this forum. Then he told me that the sound guys took the male plug out of the back of the radio and cut them away from the scotch locks and twisted them and connected them with tape and that to repair it would be a minimum of $1500 since all the wires need to be saudered back together to make a connection work. So I was like, "Can't you just replace the wires?" and he says "No you would need an entirely new body harness for that.

7) So I call the sound guys I play the recording of this convo (cuz I've learned to record this crap) and they are like WHAT! We cut nothing!! Bring it in and we will fix this and make it right. I have no idea what that Mercedes guy is talking about. It's a CAR STEREO.

I'm bringing my Metris into the stereo dudes tomorrow and leaving it with them. It's my only vehicle so I need to get a rental while they sort this out. Would love ideas and opinions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Looking for some insight since I totally don't trust what the dealer just told me. I went to a very reputable stereo installer and had a stereo (basic no apple play or anything), speakers, and he tried to install the cruise control kit that others have discussed in this forum.
1) Cruise control he said he failed at because the wires didn't match and he was getting too deep into wires so stopped.
Now I'm a little suspect since others said this was a fairly easy job. Just plug and play. He said the wires didn't match and was in the computer chips etc... Anyways..

2) He installed the sound system.

3) I went to pick it up and he said that there was an issue after he tried to install the cruise control. That I needed to go to the dealer and have it reset. That he would pay the tab on that. Seemed fair.

4) This is good because not much of the electrics is working. I'm getting airbags are off, horn doesn't work, driver assist is off, the car is pulling weirdly probably because the stabilizers aren't on and assisting etc.

5) I bring it into the dealer and he calls me saying that "They installed the stereo and cut the main
Your post ends halfway through item #5, but from your description it sounds like the stereo guy disconnected the steering column and broke the clock spring.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Your stereo guy is an idiot. And yes, from Mercedes perspective a Metris is not a Mercedes.
Looking for some insight since I totally don't trust what the dealer just told me.

I went to a very reputable stereo installer and had a stereo (basic no apple play or anything), speakers, and he tried to install the cruise control kit that others have discussed in this forum which he aborted because he said the directions for the wire colors didn't match and it was looking complicated.

I have a used 2019 Passenger Metris with all the bells and whistles except cruise control for whatever the F reason.

- Cruise control he said he failed at because the wires didn't match and he was getting too deep into wires so stopped.
Now I'm a little suspect of this dude's ability to do his job since others said this was a fairly easy install on this forum. Just plug and play. He said the wires didn't match and he was in the computer chips so stopped. This is where I think things may have ACTUALLY gone wrong.

2) He installed the sound system which he's known for. He also does super custom body work and stuff.

3) I went to pick up my van and sound guy said that there was an issue with the van and that I needed to go to the dealer and have it reset. That he would pay the tab on that. Seemed fair. I also want to state that I had a time crunch on the vehicle delivery as I needed it to move stuff so don't judge him for not fixing this issue himself. I forced him to give me the van.

4) Anyway everything was gorked. I'm getting airbags are off, horn doesn't work, driver assist is off, the car is pulling weirdly probably because the stabilizers aren't on and assisting etc.Even the back up camera is being all weird and not showing grid lines all the time but sometimes on the newly installed panel.

5) I bring it into the dealer and he comments on the stereo. I say I just had it installed. He throws shade at me (***), refuses me a loaner (parking lot full of them) because I have a Metris which I guess don't count as Mercedes?? And then walks away without a goodbye or see you later.

6) I get a call 5 hours later that the stereo was installed wrong. That they cut the radio harness and destroyed my fiberoptic ring." He said installing radios in the Metris just shouldn't be done. So I looked at him all side-eyed since I've been on this forum. Then he told me that the sound guys took the male plug out of the back of the radio and cut them away from the scotch locks and twisted them and connected them with tape and that to repair it would be a minimum of $1500 since all the wires need to be saudered back together to make a connection work. So I was like, "Can't you just replace the wires?" and he says "No you would need an entirely new body harness for that.

7) So I call the sound guys I play the recording of this convo (cuz I've learned to record this crap) and they are like WHAT! We cut nothing!! Bring it in and we will fix this and make it right. I have no idea what that Mercedes guy is talking about. It's a CAR STEREO.

I'm bringing my Metris into the stereo dudes tomorrow and leaving it with them. It's my only vehicle so I need to get a rental while they sort this out. Would love ideas and opinions.

Thanks!
Wow. It's only 4 wires. I'm not a professional and I didn't have a problem installing. Maybe he'd better stick to body work. That is a mess.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts