Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving back to LA from Palm Springs this afternoon and passed two Metris that had rear badging reading:

Metris

They were identical dark metallic brown passenger models.

What's up with the "300" moniker?

·
Registered
525 Posts
That is sparta!

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I can hazard a logical guess:

The Metris has an engine equivlant in rating to current MB gas models badged “250”, e.g. CLA250, GLA250, C250, and so on. Those cars have an M270 or M274 (same basic engine set up for transverse and longitudinal applications respectively) with 208 bhp and 258 ft-lb or torque.

Mercedes models with “300” (GLC300, C300, E300) also have a M274 (to my knowledge no M270s come in this power rating), but rated at 241 bhp and a slightly less flat torque curve maxing at 273 ft-lb.

The difference between these engines is, AFAIK, only software programming- although I would guess that a 250 model would have a longer life, being less stressed. Robbmeex installed a chip on his van that gives it output comparable to a 300 engine. I would guess these vans have the same chip.

While I don’t reccomend doing this (and obviously our resident MB-certified tech disagrees), remember that the ultimate form of the M270/M274 architecture is the M133 which does use beefed up parts and is hand assembled but is the same architecture, makes 375bhp and 350 lb-ft.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Thing about my van is if I blow up the engine, I'll warranty that son of a gun out and be back on the road. I'm sure i'm closer to the stock c300 power, but I'm not 100% sure.
An m274 is an m274. The difference in power is the tune.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Still looking to 'chip' my Metris to be a Metris 300. With all the added weight of service batteries, 1/2" Russian Birch Ply floor, and other gear, I'll probably just be an empty cargo van net gain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts