Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to this forum, by any chance , anybody know how to take coolant out, can't find any plugs on radiator or anywhere else, 2018 Metris. Thanks !!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Why do you need to do that? It's only 5 years old. Sometimes it's better to just remove the lower hose. Make sure there not a process to bleed the system. I haven't looked into her as I'll probably wait until it's at the 10 year mark.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
140 000 miles :) + I was adding some different coolants, just got original, want to flash out and replace. Have no lower hose , all comes from middle, not sure, should be very simple, maybe I should buy new radiator and see where the lowest point 😀

·
Registered
10 Posts
I haven't looked at my rad lately, but thought there was a lower and a upper. Most all coolant are a compatible...even though a lot of people say they aren't....and even if they aren't it wouldn't hurt anything. I remember topping up my Volvo 940 with anything and everything....575,000 miles no problems. Same with my BMW 530, did change a water pump at 300000 miles...filed up and drove to 400,000 miles....I buddy is driving it now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You probably right,I didn't do it with my old cars, but this one start give me lots of problems, specially after authorized Mercedes dealers services , which they charge me 1000+ every service, but probably not replacing anything (catch them big time, once ), so decided to start doing it by myself and just go by book , it said 120000 need to replace, so be it :) Well will post when finish replacing next Sunday if everything works the way it should :) The radiator I have ,left hose top, two on the right side ,on the middle, so it has to be something all the way on the bottom, no other way :) or somewhere else :). The next challenge is turbo charger, I already drive without one for a month:) and rear axle oil too, the rest I think I did :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Gottlieb, I sow it , I tern it, nothing happen, but I didn't open the top , so maybe that's why, I wasn't sure if I just have to turn 45% or use pliers and pull it, don't want to brake, so was thinking to buy new radiator and see how it works, unless someone know for sure. So thank You, just let me know what Im doing wrong, so I have to turn 45% and open coolant fill tank cap ? Thanks

·
Registered
166 Posts
I haven't looked at my rad lately, but thought there was a lower and a upper. Most all coolant are a compatible...even though a lot of people say they aren't....and even if they aren't it wouldn't hurt anything. I remember topping up my Volvo 940 with anything and everything....575,000 miles no problems. Same with my BMW 530, did change a water pump at 300000 miles...filed up and drove to 400,000 miles....I buddy is driving it now.
Be careful making a blanket statement regarding coolant (anti freeze) being compatible. There have been reports of problems of gelling when dissimilar anti freezes have been mixed.

Best to use what is in the engine and what the factory recommends.

·
Registered
166 Posts
140 000 miles :) + I was adding some different coolants, just got original, want to flash out and replace. Have no lower hose , all comes from middle, not sure, should be very simple, maybe I should buy new radiator and see where the lowest point 😀
If there is no drain you will have to remove a lower hose and drain the system. After 140K miles and after mixing different coolants (anti freezes) I'd get a can of cooling system flush and use that according to directions.

Once all the flush additive is out then refill the system with the M-B recommended anti-freeze mixed with preferably distilled water.

My auto tech buddies told me years ago that "lifetime" coolant is a myth. Keeping the coolant reasonably fresh prolongs the life of the water pump seals, hoses, and of course limits corrosion. The block or head coolant passages won't corrode through but the radiator and heater core have very thin walls and even a pinhole leak can ruin one's day...

So ever since I treat my vehicles to an every 4 years coolant drain/refill. I have this done at the dealer. The dealer is better set up to capture/recycle the old coolant and to properly refill the cooling system (using a vacuum lift system) than I am.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts