Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am considering a Metris 8 Passenger any ideas where to find one? That seat configuration seems to be rare in the used models.

·
Registered
401 Posts
If you get a 7 passenger van, you can upgrade it to 8 passengers by buying a used 3 seat split bench on eBay and swapping it in for the 2 seat bench in the second row.
Not really....The middle seat on a "true" 8 passenger model has a flip forward mechanism on the passenger side outboard (8th) seat so it can move out of the way for easy access to the rear bench. Two full permanent 3 person benches would make it pretty difficult to get in and out of the back seat.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,438 Posts
Not really....The middle seat on a "true" 8 passenger model has a flip forward mechanism on the passenger side outboard (8th) seat so it can move out of the way for easy access to the rear bench. Two full permanent 3 person benches would make it pretty difficult to get in and out of the back seat.
I think you misread the post. The post above yours is suggesting to simply buy the proper seat with the flip seat off ebay where you can find them sometimes.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
While I know the poster making the suggestion was specifying that the OP buy a two-piece split bench as installed in 8-passenger models (and that would work; the mounts are there) I would like to confirm something else:

The three passenger one piece bench as installed in the rear position of both 7 and 8 passenger models makes it effectively impossible to access the rear row from the side door when moved up to the middle row position. My wife, who is under 5’, has to squeeze herself painfully through to do it. She could escape that way in an emergency perhaps.

Since I rarely transport passengers but do use the middle row as a napping couch, I have the two place and three place benches reversed. On the two events I put that bench to use, I loaded the passengers through the rear hatch. That wouldn’t work with a three place bench back there, and it is also dangerous if you have a rear hatch as the only way to open that from inside is a small and fiddler latch well hidden under a plastic access panel.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think you misread the post. The post above yours is suggesting to simply buy the proper seat with the flip seat off ebay where you can find them sometimes.
Yep, I meant the two-piece 3-seat bench with the flip forward seat on the passenger side.

I started with a seven passenger van and got the two-piece split bench for the middle (on eBay) so that I can have the eight-seat option as needed, which has been useful.

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
I call it them the 2, 3 and 2+1 seats. Ditch the 3 seat altogether and go 2 rows of 2+1. I've had this arrangement of a while and short of folding seats it works great. We normally run around with all seats installed but switch to 7 seats for trips so you can walk front to back w/o opening a door. The +1 can then move from the rear to middle row depending on passenger and cargo needs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, so if I am reading this correctly I can add a 2+1 (2 seats +1 flipping) to a Passenger van that came with the more standard 2 seats.

I also see that one could technically pout three seats in the second row but this would make it nigh impossible to reach the rear of the row.

Very helpful information.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ok, so if I am reading this correctly I can add a 2+1 (2 seats +1 flipping) to a Passenger van that came with the more standard 2 seats.

I also see that one could technically pout three seats in the second row but this would make it nigh impossible to reach the rear of the row.

Very helpful information.
Right. A 2+1 bench like the one in the attached picture can swap in for the two seat bench.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts