Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

Mercedes Metris CarPlay Issues

11K views 61 replies 16 participants last post by  jimiray 
#1 ·
Hello Metris fam! Just curious has anyone else reached their wits end with getting a resolution for the Metris Audio 30 not consistently connecting with CarPlay? I've been told that it is a known issue with MBUSA but that they have no resolution at this point. With the Metris soon to be discontinued in the US, my concern is that they would not be pressed to find a resolution with it no longer an issue for North America.

Are there enough bummed Metris owners who might be willing to get together to try and pressure MBUSA to find a resolution for all? Maybe pressing their legal team to do something? As the disconnecting CarPlay can ultimate lead to a liability if someone is using maps and gets disconnected and are unable to reconnect and become distracted? I know it's a reach, but I'm so bummed that CarPlay doesn't work :(

#2 ·
There are a couple of threads here on this issue - take a look by searching "apple CarPlay". One fix is a secondary bluetooth device that makes the connection and overrides the defective bluetooth in the Audio 30/40 head unit. We have this one but there are many others: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B4CBKNTT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It has worked well so far - be sure to have it plugged in before you start the vehicle or it will have trouble connecting to your phone.

#6 ·
For about 250 you can easily augment your system with a 9" screen with wireless carplay and android auto.

#8 ·
A buddy got one of those Android units, but for him reliability has been sketchy. To the point where he regrets it. I’m sure this is not the case for everybody, but unresponsive after-sales support is a factor when stuff goes wrong.

I was close to pulling the trigger on a Teyes or Joying, but ended up going with that Pioneer and Crutchfield for that very reason. It’s nowhere near as cool and fancy as the Android head units, but it is solid enough.

#9 ·
I have a 22 model Metris with the sound 30 and use a Apple 13Pro which crashes the system after 5 min. Interestingly my wifes iphone 11 and my co workers 13 do not crash it. I used my coworkers on it one day for almost 2 hrs with no issue. If you look at the apple forums it is an issue with several manufacturers on the 13, so not sure how to properly troubleshoot.

#10 ·
I have a Kenwood 10" and love it. Not free, but worth it. There are a couple threads on that unit. A volume knob is key.

I've had dozens of cheap Android units on other cars. I'm done with Joying. It's Atoto or Teyes really. Putting a Atoto s8 ultra plus in my wife's car this weekend with the panoramic backup camera. It's like a Birdseye 360 camera using just one camera.

The add on wireless boxes are cheap. You can get premium boxes that add things like a Sim card slot for 4g and more memory and cpu.

That carpuride is ideal for rental car trips. Nothing to connect.

#13 ·
Wireless CarPlay Bluetooth adapter can fix the audio 30 issue of CarPlay always disconnecting? Wonder if it’s a USB connectivity issue or CarPlay. It’s just so frustrating. I’m constantly getting this message as well as just no message and getting disconnected.

#18 ·
The model we bought works - just plug it in before you start the vehicle. If you look for the other threads on this on this forum (which should appear as "recommended reading" below this thread) you will find other owners that have used a number of different such devices with success. Pounce is correct as many of the devices are available on Amazon and have free shipping and returns (provided you are a Prime member).

#19 ·
Was the firmware updated by the dealership?
I seem to recall there had been an update that resolved things.

I debated replacing the head unit, but settled on an aftermarket standalone unit, hovering besides the steering wheel. Quite convenient and leaves everything factory intact, and I don't have an extra head unit sitting around that I don't know what to do with.

The first version of it - corded - was glitchy / troublesome getting connected and why I never really mentioned or reviewed it here. Their customer service replaced it with a newer wireless version and it has been 99% glitch free.
I still should do a post about it ... but I have a few too many irons in the fire, taking up mental energy and digital time.

If I need it for navigation and/or streaming audio, I click Media a couple times to get the line out - line in from the unit.
Answering the phone I do via the car buttons.
Very happy with the position and convenience.

Car Speedometer Vehicle Trip computer Motor vehicle

For the SUV with wired CarPlay - pretty much glitch free; I did get a cordless dongle, after seeing the convenience and lag free experience on the van.

I'd rather try that route and having it solved, vs it not working and waiting on MB ...

#20 ·
Was the firmware updated by the dealership?
I seem to recall there had been an update that resolved things.

I debated replacing the head unit, but settled on an aftermarket standalone unit, hovering besides the steering wheel. Quite convenient and leaves everything factory intact, and I don't have an extra head unit sitting around that I don't know what to do with.

The first version of it - corded - was glitchy / troublesome getting connected and why I never really mentioned or reviewed it here. Their customer service replaced it with a newer wireless version and it has been 99% glitch free.
I still should do a post about it ... but I have a few too many irons in the fire, taking up mental energy and digital time.

If I need it for navigation and/or streaming audio, I click Media a couple times to get the line out - line in from the unit.
Answering the phone I do via the car buttons.
Very happy with the position and convenience.

View attachment 22579

For the SUV with wired CarPlay - pretty much glitch free; I did get a cordless dongle, after seeing the convenience and lag free experience on the van.

I'd rather try that route and having it solved, vs it not working and waiting on MB ...
Thank you! They did do a factory update and it didn’t solve the issue. I ordered a wireless dongle to try and see if it will solve the issue.

#22 ·
Does it do it in the same spot on the road? I have a spot in town that has very high interference and kills any wifi signal etc when driving by. Radio towers and transformers etc can have this impact.

Did you use the cables that came with the unit?

If this continues like this with another unit from Amazon I'd suggest you ask your dealer to replace or check the USB cable to the dash mounted outlet inside the dash.

#27 ·
Vehicle Automotive design Car Motor vehicle Personal luxury car

that dongle does seem to work but not sure if anyone has had this same issue but it’ll connect but I can’t get my head unit display to show CarPlay but the audio is there…. Thoughts?

I tired clicking that CarPlay button and from the radio/media screen and the navigation button. Nothing takes me to the carplay display.

#24 ·
I had the CarPlay issue, as well, along with intermittent connection with SiriusXM. The dealer spent a couple of days on it, and fixed the satellite radio, but let me know the CarPlay is a known issue with iPhone models 12 and newer. And, that they intend to have an update/fix by summer or fall. To the issue of our Metris's becoming orphaned, that's possible, but my understanding is that they will still sell them outside the US. If so, there will still be any number of iPhone owners around the world, yelling at them in many languages. So, maybe we'll be ok, at some point.

#25 ·
[ QUOTE="aubreyphoto, post: 129286, member: 22957"] Hello Metris fam! Just curious has anyone else reached their wits end with getting a resolution for the Metris Audio 30 not consistently connecting with CarPlay? I've been told that it is a known issue with MBUSA but that they have no resolution at this point. With the Metris soon to be discontinued in the US, my concern is that they would not be pressed to find a resolution with it no longer an issue for North America. Are there enough bummed Metris owners who might be willing to get together to try and pressure MBUSA to find a resolution for all? Maybe pressing their legal team to do something? As the disconnecting CarPlay can ultimate lead to a liability if someone is using maps and gets disconnected and are unable to reconnect and become distracted? I know it's a reach, but I'm so bummed that CarPlay doesn't work :( [/QUOTE] Real easy fix replace it with a pioneer AVH-2400NEX it has a larger screen and good DVD player don't forget to hook up the rear camera....😉

#29 ·
the product itself I bought works and most times it auto connects and works to where I can see the screen and hear audio. But sometimes I’ll hear audio but can’t seem to click that button to engage the display. I’m wondering if that issue of me not able to click CarPlay is associated with the Audio 30 headunit.
Wireless CarPlay Adapter,CarPlay... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BP28GNPQ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

#33 ·
Do like this...

Unplug device. Turn van on. Hold down volume button several seconds. It should restart. Turn off blue tooth and wifi on your phone. Plug device into the van. Wait 30 seconds. On the head unit select carplay. Wait some time. Ensure your phone is not plugged into anything. Turn your phone Bluetooth and wifi on. On your phone see if you are connected to the device.

#41 ·
Here is my take: 2021 Metris passenger with Audio 30. I went to my dealer and my service manager said the issue is known and there is no fix at this time, I didnt believe it for a minute - went to my fleet manager who inspected my car, turned a few options off on my phone (iphone 14 pro), confirmed that it will not connect and stated the following - this Audio 30 units are not upgradable, bring a vehicle for service, we will call headquarters while a car is here, if they wont provide the fix the audio unit MUST be replaced because they WORK with car play. I said fair enough, let me check my schedule and in a few days I ll call back to schedule a time.
Went home, took an ORIGINAL Apple cable, plugged it in, iphone recognized Audio 30 as Daimler Vito, asked to turn Siri on and car play showed up on the screen.
There is something with these aftermarket cables that prohibit proper connectivity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.